• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • haktic
    • Mar 2020
    • South Island, NZ

NP GLS, bolt on factory roof rails?

My question is if it's possible to add factory roof rails to a vehicle without factory rails.

I've got a 2004 GLS that came factory WITHOUT roof rails, but instead there's black lining that runs the length of the roof (where factory roof rails would be).

I've got ski racks, and my X bar roof rack from my previous vehicle, and they won't mount without longitudinal raised rails.

I've read a lot about people going for the Rhino Rack for added load, but put simply I don't need extra roof load, and it'll be far cheaper buying factory rails from a wrecker.

If anyone has done this, or can provide any information (headlining needing to come off, holes to be drilled in the roof, or not, etc) that would be great!

Cheers
    2004 Pajero NP GLS / 3.2 DiD Auto - SOLD

2012 Pajero NW Activ / 3.2 DiD Auto
  • Andyjanks
    • Mar 2019
    • Perth, WA

Roof Rails

Hello Haktic,

I have just removed roof rails on my 2004 NP Exceed, and looking at the roof inside I would hazard a guess and say that there will be the holes already there, just blanked or taped off. Just a guess....
    The black trim in the channel should pop out - little white plastic pieces hold mine on but MM may have had other methods. That will show whether the holes are there before you go further....

Lowering the headlining is time consuming and I found best to start at the rear boot window trims. The sides pop off easily if you give it a quick firm tug. The seatbelt will prevent it being totally removeable. They have some blue and some white plugs that may fallout or remain stuck in the body - just ease them out with a small screwdriver. The aircon ducts in the roof need removing to get to the bolt holes, but maybe a GLS doesn't have aircon ducts up there?

Next I removed the handles above the doors, and a quick pull on the pillar trims and front windscreen trim and you have access to the roof rail holes from underneath. The headlining sort of hangs there and I felt uneasy leaving it for too long(!). If you have the roof rails ready to fit you could wrap it all up in a couple of hours total.
    NP 2004 Exceed, DiD, 234 000k, auto, 2" lift, snorkel

Comment

• haktic
      • Mar 2020
      • South Island, NZ

Andyjanks, cheers for all that, awesome bits of information you've given me.

I'll have a go at popping out the trim in the channels, I think I know the white tabs you're talking about that hold it in place.

I'll let you know what happens, and if there are holes I'll most likely go further - hopefully a good weekend project before winter settles in down here.

If there aren't holes, I'll see whether it'd be worth drilling or not.

Cheers

Comment

• haktic
        • Mar 2020
        • South Island, NZ

Just a follow up for anyone else who may be interested. I've pulled off the black bit that runs the length of the roof. Surprisingly most of the white clips stayed in tact. It was just a matter of pushing them to the side and they popped straight off.

However, there are no preexisting holes, but there are three 'lips'. They look to be in the same spots as the base of the raised rails.

There was also a fair bit of stuff under there that I brushed out.
        Last edited by haktic; 18-05-20, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Scooby
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2011
          • Ipswich, Qld.

I have Rolla roof bars on my NM. They use these tabs.
          Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• haktic
            • Mar 2020
            • South Island, NZ

Scooby, is there a name for that type of tab? Or do all Rola racks use that same tab?

Cheers for that, means I may just be able to install some of them, and possibly sell my old X bar ones.

Comment

• 1533rl
              • Jun 2007
              • armadale wa

NP GLS bolt on factory roof rails

Hi haktic, I have an NP and the tabs that Scooby refers to are the mounting points for roof racks on the NP model, 3 each side and Rola, Rhino and other rack makers have specific mounts to match the OE mounting tabs. I have had rhino bars, and currently have Rola HD bars which bolt onto each tab. You can run just 2 bars but I run 3, you also need a spacer kit to get them all level because your roof line is not level ! You just have to get the correct bar mount for your model, they will be in the Rola and rhino catalogues.
              Cheers Peter
              Attached Files

Comment

• Scooby
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2011
                • Ipswich, Qld.

Let’s try again, “Rola” roof racks.
                I have the sports racks, the bars do not extend past the mounts.
                The mounts sit on top of the roof and a tab hooks under the tab in the channel.
                So you have 3 possible positions.
                The tab on the roof rack has an allen key bolt that when you tighten it, it pulls it into the channel tab to secure it to the roof.
                You do not remove the rubber seal they just fit down the side of it.
                I would send a picture but no near car for a couple of days.
                I just googled it and there is plenty of info.
                Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• Andyjanks
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Perth, WA

Roof Rails

Hello Haktic, You've saved yourself a lot of work having those tabs and no holes ha ha! I am constantly amazed at how many differences just an NP Pajero has - the 2004 year doesn't always match what others have and even ordering parts is sometimes more complicated than I imagined!
                  NP 2004 Exceed, DiD, 234 000k, auto, 2" lift, snorkel

Comment

• haktic
                    • Mar 2020
                    • South Island, NZ

Ah, I see, so it's just a matter of finding racks that use that tab system. That's the first I've ever heard of this for a roof rack type - I've had a vehicle with a track system and a raised rail, but never tabs!

Thank you both Peter and Scooby for that, bloody handy information to have. Hopefully some some new racks might cover up the light hail damage I got last year, and even more with skis on them.

Andy - I thought it was a curse not having factory rails. So when you removed yours did you have to plug the holes?

Yep, a lot of differences - my GLS has all the matte black plastics (grill, wing mirrors, interior, no fog lights, no climate control). You'd think it was a complete base model vehicle apart from electric aerial, plastic body panels and RV meter.

Comment

• chrisall
                      • Sep 2016
                      • WA

Originally posted by haktic View Post
                      Ah, I see, so it's just a matter of finding racks that use that tab system. That's the first I've ever heard of this for a roof rack type - I've had a vehicle with a track system and a raised rail, but never tabs!.
                      If it helps, this is the instructions for the Rola bars I have on my NP.

I have 3 but didn't use a spacer on the front one. Instead I modified the awning bracket to suit the lower front bar. The roof basket is a size that just fits on the 2 rear bars.

Cheers
                      2003 NP 3.5. Davies Craig tranny cooler, Dual battery, LED front fogs, Safari 'style' snorkel, LED reverse / work light, reverse cam, BushSkinz, LED interior lights, Joying android head unit, side steps, LED spotties, 17" steelies, bunny bar.

Comment

• uncompromise
                        • Jun 2020
                        • France

This thread saved me a ton of brain damage. If anyone knows of a brand in Europe that makes racks that meet these requirements, please let me know. As an Aussie who spent the last decade in the US I’ve been spoiled for choice. Here in France there seem to be far fewer options, despite the number of Pajeros on the road.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X