• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pajaru
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2013
    • Perth

Camping in South Australia

We are heading to South Australia in particular the Eyre Peninsular in the next few days.

In doing some research about SA National/Conservation Parks it appears you need to book your camp spot online.

Does this mean that you can not camp anywhere if you have not booked. What happens if you arrive late/early. Can you still camp in places that you have to book for by just turning up and paying later.

In Western Australia we do not have this system except for a few of the very popular spots in the South West of the state. Most of our Nat. Park camping spots are done on a first come, first served basis.

Any insight/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Building Now: MY20 GLX Pajero.

Retired: MY14 GLX-R Pajero
    To go where very few have gone before https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ilies/wink.png

Our Travels & Our YouTube Channel
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Pajaru View Post
    We are heading to South Australia in particular the Eyre Peninsular in the next few days.

In doing some research about SA National/Conservation Parks it appears you need to book your camp spot online.

Does this mean that you can not camp anywhere if you have not booked. What happens if you arrive late/early. Can you still camp in places that you have to book for by just turning up and paying later.

In Western Australia we do not have this system except for a few of the very popular spots in the South West of the state. Most of our Nat. Park camping spots are done on a first come, first served basis.

Any insight/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Your info is correct - book online before camping (noting mobile phone/internet often isn't working in these areas). Unfortunately, just turning up is no longer an option (risk of being fined).

You also need a vehicle permit just to enter many of the parks, although you can get a pass for a holiday covering most (but not all) parks. This is also online before arriving.
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Pajaru
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2013
      • Perth

Thanks spot01

To go where very few have gone before https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ilies/wink.png

Comment

• Nab
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2012
        • Perth

I don’t like the booking system either. We usually have a defined time to do a trip with no specific itinerary. If we like a spot we stay longer, if not we move on, the booking system has no allowance for this. And then if you find someone on your allocated site, good luck getting them to move especially if they have had a few drinks or you get in late. Not sure what the positives are if there are no rangers around to police it.
        SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
        NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Pajaru
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2013
          • Perth

I don’t like the booking system either. We usually have a defined time to do a trip with no specific itinerary. If we like a spot we stay longer, if not we move on, the booking system has no allowance for this. And then if you find someone on your allocated site, good luck getting them to move especially if they have had a few drinks or you get in late. Not sure what the positives are if there are no rangers around to police it.
          I agree, although I wonder what members from the states that have the booking system think of it.

Comment

• Oven
            • May 2020
            • Sidney

I have never been to a campsite in South Australia. My friends and I planned to do this this year. What place would you recommend for newbies who will be traveling from Western Australia?

Comment

• Ian H
              Valued Member
              • May 2015
              • Melbourne

We've free camped at a couple of places in SA including Lake Gilles (between Iron Knob &Kimba) and Pildappa Rock (out of Minnipa), both really nice and quiet. Ceduna CP is good place to stock up and shower.

Get a copy of Wiki Camps for plenty more.
              2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X