• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drjohn11
    • Sep 2011
    • Melbourne

Red Centre Tour

Have just returned from a trip to the Red Centre and back via the Oodnadatta Track and a side trip to Arkaroola.
    Total 7019 kms
    908 litres diesel average 12.9 L/100kms
    No mechanical or tyre problems

Some photos for those interested

Dog Fence at Coober Pedy, built initially in the 1850's runs 5614 km through SA, NT and Qld

The Breakaways near Coober Pedy. The area has been featured in several movies including Max Max III, Red Planet and Priscilla Queen of the Desert.

The Mulga Park Road is part of the Gun Barrel Highway. It allows a back country shortcut to Uluru.

Uluru mid afternoon. Uluru is 348 metres high and has a circumference of 9.4 km.

Uluru from the air at sunset. $300 for a 45 minute helicopter ride. Expensive but worth it as also see the Olgas of Kata Tjuta from the air.

Uluru. Several of our party climbed the rock as conditions were suitable. Climbing the rock is now discouraged and appears to be on the agenda for permanent closure in the next few years.

The Olgas or Kata Tjuta. The highest peak is 546 metres above the plain.

Kings Canyon The rim walk is a 6.5 km 3-4 hour walk which has a steep start and then traverses the rim of the canyon. Halfway it descends into the Garden of Eden where a permanent waterhole feeds plants and animals. The last half of the walk passes through a large maze of weathered sandstone, reminiscent of the Bungle Bungles.

Camping at The Finke River near the Glen Helen Gorge. The area had plenty of dingos which went through the camp at night time.

The Oodnadatta Track. This 620 km dirt road runs from Marla to Marree through the twons of Oodnadatta and William Creek. In part it follows along the Old Ghan Railway Line and is close to many old railway ruins and artesian bores and springs.

The Algebuckina Bridge on the Old Ghan Railway Line.

The Algebuckina Waterhole.

Abandoned Gen 2 Pajero on Oodnadatta Track.

At Arkaroola we stayed for 3 days. This place is a wilderness sanctuary and has plenty of great drives and bush walks as well as the famous Ridgetop Tour.- 4 Wheel drive on the Mount Jacobs Track

View along the Acacia Ridge Track at Arkaroola
    NX GLS MY15 Pajero 265 265 17 BFG AT KO2 Bilsteins & Lovells, ARB Bar Airtec Snorkel Runva XP11 Full BushSkinz Underbody Protection and RockSliders, Donaldson Filter, LRA Tank, Icom 450N 75W HID Spots & Lightbar Drifta Drawers MSA Fridge Slide Engel Fridge 110AH Lithium Battery 65L Water Tank Paddle & Lockup-Mate Kimberley Kamper
    NL 1999 Pajero 3.5L Cargo Barrier UHF Roof Rack. Dual Battery Engel Fridge No Airbags
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Excellent photos DJ, glad you enjoyed my "stomping ground" and pleased to see that you had no issues with the PB, tyres or accessories.
    Good preparation, planing and sensible driving equals " good luck"

Have you an Auto or Manual? Fuel figures are good if its an Auto considering the loaded roof rack.

cheers, old Jack.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Drjohn11
      • Sep 2011
      • Melbourne

Red Centre Tour

Auto - yes happy with the fuel consumption. Got better figures last year going to the Cape but that was a 11000 km trip and obviously was a lot more blacktop going from Melbourne to FNQ.

Alex (DrJohn11)
      NX GLS MY15 Pajero 265 265 17 BFG AT KO2 Bilsteins & Lovells, ARB Bar Airtec Snorkel Runva XP11 Full BushSkinz Underbody Protection and RockSliders, Donaldson Filter, LRA Tank, Icom 450N 75W HID Spots & Lightbar Drifta Drawers MSA Fridge Slide Engel Fridge 110AH Lithium Battery 65L Water Tank Paddle & Lockup-Mate Kimberley Kamper
      NL 1999 Pajero 3.5L Cargo Barrier UHF Roof Rack. Dual Battery Engel Fridge No Airbags

Comment

• PeePee
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2012
        • Brisbane

I just returned from my trip out that way towing the Jayco eagle outback. We completed 8,500 k's and my fuel economy was 16.83 L / 100. We used a total of 1,430.7 litres at a cost of $2,510.80.

We had no issues with the Challenger either and no tyre problems. Only issue was the trailer plug had some problems and the tail lights would not work on the Jayco but importantly the blinkers and brakes lights remained working. I had to fix the brakes on the Jayco many times as the stones just destroyed them and they come off a lot.

Trip report and pics to come.
        MY12 LS Challenger (cool silver) - 7 seater with ARB Deluxe Bar, IPF Driving Lights, Safari Snorkel, Stainless Bashplate, Ultimate Suspension Lift, Redarc electric brakes, ERPS, Dual Battery (Redarc DC/DC), Icom UHF, Rhino sports bars / platform, ARB Awning and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's.

Comment

• TheWall
          • Mar 2013
          • Sunshine Coast

Great pics.

Howdy,

Looks like an awesome trip. Would love your feedback on the Tigerz Roof Rack? Quality? What size is the rack pictured? I am happy with their awning so far.

Could I ask for some info? It would be great if you could let me know how high off the ground the top of the rack is when the car is unloaded? I have a garage height issue I am trying to contend with!

Cheers,

Matt
          2010 LS 7 Seater. 2" Ultimate upgrade. TJM winch bar & bash plates. TJM dual battery & Airtec snorkel. K&N airfilter. Mitsubishi roof racks with Tigerz11 3.0x2.5 awning. Uniden 7760 CB.

Comment

• PBding
            • May 2010
            • Canberra

Great photos obviously a great trip.
            NW GLX-R Pajero auto in Champagne; not anymore, it's gone to a new home. Now piloting a Y62 Patrol petrol v8 in pearl white.

Comment

• Chris4x4
              • May 2012
              • Geelong

Just makes you wanna drop everything and go. Doc that Finke river camp site is spectacular. Country looks dry, back to drought it seems. Did you go on your own or with some other cars?
              2022 Paj Sport, Grey, nicely hidden factory towbar, thanks MM,

Comment

• 260DET
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2012
                • Brisbane

Beaut pics, thanks for posting them.
                Richard.......MY12 silver base model auto rear driver tow truck and shopping trolley. Bilsteins, Firestone rear air bags, HR towbar, Scangauge II and aftermarket reverse camera/GPS navigation unit. SOLD

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2010
                  • Cairns

Awesome pics Alex.
                  The centre of our country is beautiful and a fun place to have an adventure.
                  Cheers, Dan.
                  2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Drjohn11
                    • Sep 2011
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                    Howdy,

Looks like an awesome trip. Would love your feedback on the Tigerz Roof Rack? Quality? What size is the rack pictured? I am happy with their awning so far.

Could I ask for some info? It would be great if you could let me know how high off the ground the top of the rack is when the car is unloaded? I have a garage height issue I am trying to contend with!

Cheers,

Matt
                    The rack itself is good but the mounts that come with it were sh**. We used it last year on our trip to the Cape and shattered all the mounts after the first 300 km of corrugations. Then had to use rachet straps to hold to the rails. This worked well. I have removed the Tigerz 11 mounting system and use Thule Aero Racks attached to the normal rails and U bolts to hold the rack to the Thule bars. This means that its a bit higher than normal but is solid. Have carried over 100 kg (above recommended) and had no problems.
                    Rack measure 1550mm long by 1100mm wide. With my rack system it is 2080 mm from the ground to the top of the rack. It would probably be 50 mm less height if it used the original mounts, but as I stated these broke easily with the corrugations on the Cape.

Regards Alex
                    Last edited by Drjohn11; 01-06-13, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• Drjohn11
                      • Sep 2011
                      • Melbourne

Originally posted by Chris4x4 View Post
                      Just makes you wanna drop everything and go. Doc that Finke river camp site is spectacular. Country looks dry, back to drought it seems. Did you go on your own or with some other cars?
                      Went with two mates a Landcruiser Yota towing a KK Camper and a Yota Hilux. All cars had no problems apart from the LC Yota getting bogged at the Finke River.

regards Alex

Comment

• beagle1
                        • Feb 2013
                        • SEQ

Great photos and commentary....you've now saved me a trip out there...LOL...
                        2012 auto, Chip-It, Firestone air bags, Double tranny coolers.

Comment

• TheWall
                          • Mar 2013
                          • Sunshine Coast

Thanks

Appreciate the measurements and reply.

Matt
                          2010 LS 7 Seater. 2" Ultimate upgrade. TJM winch bar & bash plates. TJM dual battery & Airtec snorkel. K&N airfilter. Mitsubishi roof racks with Tigerz11 3.0x2.5 awning. Uniden 7760 CB.

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011
                            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Yes the Finke River, like many dry outback rivers can be a challenge.

Even worse is those same rivers 2 or 3 days of sunshine after heavy rain, the top looks dry and powdery but about 4" to 6" below the surface it is wet and bottomless (the rivers can still be running sub surface). If you break through to this layer it is just like quick sand, only way to check is to get your shovel and have a dig in the middle of the creek if the creek is straight or on both edges if you are crossing on a bend, if the sand is wet and the hole fills with water after a minute or two then you know it is going to get interesting.

Ultra low tyre pressures (8 or 10 psi) and take it easy, have Maxtrax's, jacks or winch at the ready and once you start to slowdown ease off the power, do not spin the wheels, if/when you stop, do not apply more power or try to reverse, this will only see you going one way and thats DOWN.

cheers, old Jack.
                            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X