• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

Regreasing CVs-worth doing?

So I've got the front of the car apart regreasing bearings and checking everything out.

I've never normally bothered with CVs until I've had problems, but I'm wondering if it's worth cleaning these out and regreasing seeing I'm uncertain about the service history on the car, the age, ill treatment etc, and they are pricey to replace. It doesn't appear that these have lost any grease.

What are the thoughts-just leave them or worth the effort?
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

Eventually, the balls in the CV joints will wear an indentation in their tracks where they normally run, but this takes a very long time. Most CV failures come from torn boots which allow dirt and grit into the joint and destroy it. If the boots are still in good condition, leave them, but check them regularly. If you wanted to you could put new boots on the joints, in which case yes, re-grease the joints a the same time.

Comment

• disco stu
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2018
      • Wollongong

Cheers erad. I was feeling slack thinking that I should just leave it

Comment

• stumagoo
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • Perth WA S.O.R

I agree the factory grease is going to be good as long as the boots are good ---- check them carefully and if they are perished maybe replace but the aftermarket boots never last as well as factory ones. the grease will be fine as its the dirt/sand/mud that causes the grease to fail once the boots split
        1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
        *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
        1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• disco stu
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2018
          • Wollongong

Thanks Stu. I'll go back to being slack. Now to work out how to tighten the bearing lock nut to 130nm!

Comment

• brw0513
            • Apr 2018
            • Brisbane

And it's a fiddly, messy job.

I replaced a split boot with an aftermarket boot. I did get it on eventually but I reckon the genuine boot would have been a much easier process.
            Ian B
            1998 NL SWB 6G74 Manual

Comment

• disco stu
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2018
              • Wollongong

It's not so bad with brand new parts getting them greased, but old ones are a nightmare. I'm doing when bearings and tie rods etc at the moment-grease leaking out of everything, so it's all over tools, the ground, walking it inside, my face.... Degreasing bearings-that keeps the solvent companies in business!

But times I've done cv joints in the past, they are much worse

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X