Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Techniques

Techniques Winching - Recoveries - Chainsaw Safety - Proper aproach to 4wding etc

Old 17-06-20
Valued Member

Default Beach Driving and Quicksand

Found an intereseting article on the ABC news site about the dangers of beach travel. Well worth a read..

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-...coast/12307402

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper
Old 17-06-20
Valued Member

Yeah Dicko, I saw that story too, a timely reminder. In March we were on the west coast of Tassie, just before the COVID-19 closures, and we started to do the run from Temma south to Sandy Cape. Got to the Thornton River, it was probably a bit too wide and deep for a safe crossing anyway, but I did a bit of a trial wade into the stream near the outlet and very quickly found myself in extremely soft sand that had me well up my knees before I knew it, with no end in sight. Retreated very quickly and awkwardly, and pointed the vehicles back for a nice picnic on the coast back towards Temma. I could easily see how that terrain might swallow a 4WD with no possibility of recovery.
BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Lightforce 170 Halogen driving lights, Brown Davis i/c and sump bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD oil catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads
Old 17-06-20
Valued Member

Now that is SCARY. To swallow a horse! I don't like driving on sand at the best of times, but this convinced me not to do it - at least on the West Coast of Tasmania.
Old 17-06-20
Valued Member

Driven on soft white sand a few times and some ordinary sand beaches when having to get to remote coastal aboriginal communities. Got bogged a few times but airing down got me out. Dont particularly like sand driving. Quicksand is a whole new world though. The clip is indeed a timely reminder of just how dangerous wet sand can be. Think I,ll stick to the hard roads of North Queensland. Wonder how,d you go for insurance as well.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper