• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skexis
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2012
    • Adelaide

Ctp

Why do we now have to nominate a CTP insurer for rego purposes? Just got my renewal through and all the amounts are the same. What's the point?
    "When strangers meet, great allowances should be made for differences of custom and training". The Lady Jessica - Wisdom of Arrakis
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

It’s another example of an S.A. liberal government “brilliant” privatisation plan!
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• spot01
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
      It’s another example of an S.A. liberal government “brilliant” privatisation plan!
      I think Turbo Tom & Labour did this as part of the privatisation of the MAC, but then gave all the CTP business to one company, ie, created a monopoly. It has now been opened up to competitive companies & whilst premiums are sometimes similar, they are lower.
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• kod10
        • May 2014
        • brisbane

I get an extra discount for my house and car insurance if I also have the insurer as my ctp. ie extra policies equal extra discounts.

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Skexis View Post
          Why do we now have to nominate a CTP insurer for rego purposes? Just got my renewal through and all the amounts are the same. What's the point?
          Competition. Previously, it was all SGIC - no choice, no incentive for them to provide good service. Somewhere in the paperwork with the renewal should be some "ratings" information - how the competing companies "rate" with their customers.

I've been sticking with SGIC to keep the money in SA - SA needs all the money it can get at the moment!
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Jasonmc73
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2019
            • Brisbane

QLD same all the same price
            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• spot01
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2011
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
              Competition. Previously, it was all SGIC - no choice, no incentive for them to provide good service. Somewhere in the paperwork with the renewal should be some "ratings" information - how the competing companies "rate" with their customers.

I've been sticking with SGIC to keep the money in SA - SA needs all the money it can get at the moment!
              SGIC hasn't been SA owned for a long time - it is now part of one of the big East Coast insurers.
              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• MSF
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2009
                • Sydney, Northern Beaches

You are probably at the start of what happened in NSW many years ago...

When NSW moved to a deregulated scheme in 1988 (Was previously all handled by GIO), the Gumbyment granted licences to 11 different insurers for CTP.
                Their portfolio share was determined by their size at the time - For example - NRMA got 32% ( Largest share as they were the largest Private Motor Insurer at the time)

For the first two years of the scheme, ALL the prices were the same to allow the new players to get a feel for the loss ratios and claims etc, then after that period the scheme allowed for premium variances, However there were regulations to stipulate that the Cheapest premium any company could offer was not to be less than X% (I think it was 15%) of their most expensive. This was to make sure that even the Worst of the Worst drivers could still afford to get CTP and thus, register their vehicles. (Under the GIO monopoly, there was no "premium for risk - ie, everyone paid the same and the only variances were the Garaging location ( City or Country etc)

Now there are only 5 insurers left that offer it, NRMA, GIO, AAMI, Allianz and QBE and there are LOTS of different rating factors such as Age of Driver, Garaging Postcode, Demerit Points, Who your Comprehensive policy is with etc...)

So, that's probably the fun you are about to experience

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                SGIC hasn't been SA owned for a long time - it is now part of one of the big East Coast insurers.
                Yes, SGIC is wholey owned by IAG (Insurance Australia Group) who were the company created when NRMA was demutialised. They now control CGU, Westfarmers, NRMA, Swann, SGIO and SGIC - They also Underwrite a heap of front line stuff like Coles Insurance)

So Your SA money isn't staying in SA unfortunately...
                Last edited by MSF; 19-12-19, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X