• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keithyv
    Valued Member
    • May 2018
    • Perth

+1 to Haggis.

Meanwhile I get pinged by a speed camera in the middle of an overtaking lane.

Here I am trying to help traffic flow by going a little over the limit and there is a speed trap smack- bang right there just before the lane ends. Never even looked like having an accident in 30+ years of driving but a few k's over in an overtaking lane makes me a bad driver apparently...
    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Pushbike View Post
      Do speed vs drag curves exist for the Pajero body.
      Have a look at this site, https://www.automobile-catalog.com/m...3_5d/2017.html
      Reason for this comment: The faster you go the greater the cost ( potential or actual).
      My arbitrary preferred max. speed is 90 km/Hr. Makes a lot of B doubles unhappy.

Ok so I'm bored or something but to follow up on above re drag.

Lets say the drag coefficient for the Pajero is 0.45 and the drag area is 1.216 sqm.
      DragArea is 0.45x1.216 = 0.51072
      Force to over come drag,Drag Force, is 0.5xAir DensityxDragAreaxSpeedxSpeed
      assume Air Density=1
      then Drag Force for
      50Km/Hr: =0.5x1x0.51072x50x50 = 637.5 (ignore the Units as this is a comparative evaluation)
      90Km/Hr: =0.5x1x0.51072x90x90 = 2065.5
      100Km/Hr: =0.5x1x0.51072x100x100 = 2550
      110Km/Hr: =0.5x1x0.51072x110x110 = 3085.5
      What does this mean? Well if you drive an ex factory Pajero with no add ons like roof racks bull bars etc the energy to overcome drag force is proportional to your speed as follows:
      110 vs 50 is 3085.5/637.5 = 4.84 more energy(fuel) required.
      110 vs 100 is 3085.5/2550 = 1.21 more energy
      110 vs 90 is 3085.5/2065.5 = 1.49 more energy

So while stressing you wallet with a fine for exceeding the speed limit your adding a further impost from fuel consumption all because of a few minutes/hours in your lifetime.
      Besides most drivers can't control of any vehicle suffering a failure such as a tyre blow out or other emergency at speed.

Really? So your logic is drive at 20kph and save a couple of dollars!! If your one of the dolts that sit on 90kph in a perfectly good car on a highway then your part of the problem ..not the solution. Sick and tired of rubber neckers, idiots, many p- platers and tossers who shouldn,t be driving on highways or freeways. B doubles and most trucks are professional drivers who spend most of their lives on the road. They have to sit on the speed limit on highways and freeways just to make a living. I dare say they are a lot better driver than most on the road. There are far more dickhead drivers among the general population than there are among the trucking fraternity. The number of people I see on the Bruce Highway that sit on 90kph, until they hit the overtaking lanes and then suddenly they find 100kph is a nice speed, is unbelievable.
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• disco stu
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2018
        • Wollongong

Not real fair hacking a go at p platers for doing the speed they are told they have to do on order to keep their licence long enough to get off their p plates in order to do the speed limit. I remember many many years having cars annoyed with me for driving "slow" when I was just going the fastest I was allowed. After having been disqualified for 1.5 years I wasn't going to lose my licence again

The others, yes, fair enough...to a point.

Truck drivers might be good drivers, but I've seen my share of cowboys. I literally got run off the road by one overtaking me over double lines coming up to the crest of a hill. He started gong around me, car came along the other way, he just went straight back into my lane. I just saw these massive wheels coming straight towards me. If he waited a few hundred meters he could have done it fine. I was doing the speed limit, or probably over knowing what I was like back then. But yes, seen more dodgy car drivers. I just don't like people acting like all truckies are great on the road

Comment

• Pushbike
          • Jun 2017
          • Sydney

I think the original post was referring to the financial cost of exceeding the speed limit.
          I referred to just one of the cost components of driving a motor vehicle.

The speed that a road user selects should be related to what the driver considers safest considering their particular circumstances, e.g towing a trailer, their age, their responsibility to their passengers and of course other road users.
          To my knowledge there isn't any min. or max speed mandated.

Re truck drivers, " They have to sit on the speed limit on highways and freeways just to make a living", are they driving at the speed limit or at the safest speed? Do they make a better living by driving faster. What speed would that be?

Should trucks be given full or priority use of the roads? Should there be a curfew for non heavy transport vehicles, e.g. cars, car and trailer,motor homes, motor cycles?
          Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
          Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X