• Show
Clear All
  • Axis
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Highett Vic

Bunyip

Hi all,

Heading to Bunyip for the first time this weekend (Fri) with a mate for an overnighter. Plan is to get there reasonably early Fri to avoid weekend crowds and head north to Starlings Gap Campground depending on time.

Does anyone know what the tracks in Bunyip are like at the moment? We want to look at doing both loops if possible. On another website it seems that the top of Western track was tough (last Fri). Also seen some pretty gnarly footage of Andersons tk. Also any suggestions to the north (near Starlings Gap)?

We will have the Paj and a Triton. One winch (on the Triton), snatch straps, recovery tracks etc... MT51's on the Paj and KO2's on the Triton.

Edit: Any suggestions on what to avoid is also appreciated!

Cheers,
    James
    Last edited by Axis; 18-04-17, 03:23 PM.
    07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates
  • Axis
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Highett Vic

So we ended up going. Got moving early Fri and dropped into the Gembrook Parks office to have a chat about track conditions. It had been raining overnight and the rain stopped about 9am I think.

After leaving the Parks office we headed up to Blue Range via Beenak East Rd, Black Snake Creek Rd and Ash Landing Rd. Blue Range was a bit wet and although boggy further on we got through with no issues.

Power Lines
    IMG_5269.JPG
    Blue Range
    IMG_5272.JPG
    IMG_5273.JPG
    IMG_5299.jpg

This turned into Bunyip Ridge Tk and we were OK until we hit a climb with a clay base. It was pretty slippery and the Triton went up first trying to avoid the ruts but the rear slipped in a bit over halfway up. In trying to get out it ended up crossed over with one of the front tyres in a rut and the other in a hole. We tried everything to get it out but had to break out the winch. We were able to bring the front around and out of the hole and get it up the track. The Paj was next and made it up OK with some good directions.

Slippery stuff
    IMG_5277blur.JPG

Had lunch down on Black Snake Creek Rd and then started to head up to Starlings Gap Campground for the night. The rain started up again and we set up camp for the night – even managed to get a fire going. After thinking we’d have the place to ourselves, 2 groups turned up so it was quite busy.

Saturday headed back to Bunyip coming in via Bunyip Rd into Western Tk after packing up camp. Decided to continue down Western Tk instead of along Gentle Annie. Initially it wasn’t too bad with a few bog holes we could take an easier option on (still muddy). Then we hit the downhill sections which were muddy and slippery. It was a matter of staying in the ruts and trying to resist the temptation to brake and lock the wheels up. My son thought it was heaps of fun. We watched a few bikes coming down which was entertaining.

Western Track
    IMG_5298.jpg
    2 of these were deeper with soft bases so we avoided them
    IMG_5283.JPG

We had lunch at Nash Creek Campground then hit the Nash Creek Loop Tk from the Eastern entry. There was really only one decent climb and on the first attempt the Paj got stuck on a tree root across the ruts – couldn’t get the grip to step over it. I ended up a little crossed up but was able to reverse down so the Triton could have a go. Same result in the same spot. Out with the winch and we got the Triton over the hard part. By this time a jeep Wrangler had arrived so we let him through – he made it up on his 35’s. Had a 2nd attempt in the Paj and made it this time by adjusting line to the side where the root was. Still took some effort and a few revs! The other side was a wet and slippery descent. Not sure we would have made it up that way. By now it was time to head out, air up and go home.

All in all a fun couple of days. I did manage to wreck the Paj rear bumper on Western Tk and have had to remove it - It has had a few hits.

Unhappy rear Bumper
    IMG_5288.JPG

Cheers,
    James
    07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• Nab
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Perth

Looks like a great weekend, enjoy the cleanup
      SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
      NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Axis
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2011
        • Highett Vic

Thanks Nab.

All done - cleaned underneath and wheel arches/mud flaps. Rear looks a bit rough but will have a think about what to do.

Think I prefer the high country.

Cheers,
        James

Comment

• Jimboy
          • May 2015
          • Mornington Peninsula, Vic.

Thanks for the report, looked like fun. I did wonder how muddy it would be for you.

Did the rear damage come about from reversing into an object or from the scoop effect when deep in the mud?

Reason I ask is have you seen Roley's Rear Skid Plate?

Cheers,
          Jim.
          4WD Neophyte In a 2013 Pajero NW GLX; taking me places to appreciate the nature of Oz- https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimonearth/

Comment

• Axis
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2011
            • Highett Vic

Originally posted by Jimboy View Post
            Thanks for the report, looked like fun. I did wonder how muddy it would be for you.

Did the rear damage come about from reversing into an object or from the scoop effect when deep in the mud?

Reason I ask is have you seen Roley's Rear Skid Plate?

Cheers,
            Jim.
            Hi Jim,

The damage was from the bumper scooping in the muddy ruts. I have seen Roley's plate and sent him a PM last week.

At this stage I have taken the scoop off and will leave it off for the time being - just need to fit a flat tow plug as mine was round mounted on the scoop.

Cheers,
            James

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X