• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vk7hch
    • Oct 2013
    • Kingston Beach, Tasmania

Rear overhead storage rack

I was looking for a method of creating an overhead storage rack for the rear cargo area. Partly to store items and partly as a first step in a fridge cage. The other requirement for this rack is to hold my Travel Buddy 12V oven.
    I tossed lots of ideas around then happened upon a steel panel in the dumpster out the back of work. It is 20mm square tubing with square mesh welded to it.
    Firstly I measured the area that I wanted to use and worked out that if the panel was 1300 x 600 it would fit nicely between the side windows and the cargo barrier at the front and just clear the door at the rear. So I made it that size. Silly me. It wouldn't fit through the door opening. I dropped the cargo barrier and put it in through the rear doors and slid it backwards. it fit, but mounting it would be murder.
    As luck would have it, it had a second tube welded in about 300mm from one end, I docked it back to there and it was a much better fit.

I spaced the rack up from the fridge to get an idea of how much room I had for the oven, then proceeded to measure and fabricate mounting brackets.
    Some 40mm x 3mm bar was cut, bent, twisted, welded and brackets were done. The right hand rear bracket had to be re-drilled a little lower to raise the shelf as it was sitting about 15mm too low.
    Spacers were removed and the clearance over the fridge was good.

The oven was placed in position and shuffled around until I was happy with the clearance above. I did not want my roof lining to catch fire. We removed the rubber feet from the bottom of the oven and inserted M6 rivnuts. A few strips of aluminium, some M6x20 bolts and washers, and it is going nowhere. One trick I read on Failbook was to paint the back of the oven matt black to minimize cross reflection into my rearview mirror from oncoming cars. Works a treat.

I am very happy with the result. One thing I did not realize until my mate pointed it out, that the right hand seatbelt mounting bolt hole that I was using was 15mm lower that the left one, accounting for the discrepancy I fixed before!

Now I just need to fab the vertical divider

Thanks for reading.
    Chris
    Attached Files
    2002 NM 3.5L V6 Auto GLS, 33" BFG KM3s on Patrol 16x8, front air locker, Ironman lift plus poly blocks plus rear airbags, Runva 11XP, Bushskinz, ARB Combo bar, HF, VHF/UHF radios, 9" LED spots, 2 x LED light bars, interior LED lighting, Rear drawers, dual batteries, Projecta DC/DC charger, cabin filter mod, Bisho's centre console mod, roof basket, solar panel, Darche 270 Eclipse awning, ebay snorkel, activated tail lights.
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Nice work. I have a third tier too, not as roomy as yours though - you can just see it in the pic below. I am also, now equipped with a TB marine, I had to floor mount mine. Hope to get out in the desert in a month to give it it's first road test. Works bloody well at home on a power supply. A bit power hungry though, it draws a constant 10A.

Cheers

Last edited by sharkcaver; 24-07-18, 11:16 PM.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• NTSWBWA
      • Jun 2017
      • Perth

Travel Buddy

Nice work Chris.

I’m planning on acquiring a travel buddy also. Any tips or experiences on how hot the oven surfaces actually get during operation?

I have seen a few of the rear storage drawer manufacturers actually mount them in the drawer, looks neat, but I don’t want my car to burn down

Comment

• sharkcaver
        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
        • May 2009
        • Perth

The outside edges are only warm to touch. No trouble burning anything there. The door however is another issue. It does get hot. I've velcroed a tube between the switches to stop it walking forward and touching the door plastics.

Neat idea intergerated into the draw. I like it.
        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• martialllaw
          • Jan 2012
          • Narangba

Love you rear shelf. I also made a shelf for my travel buddy oven. It's attached to the fridge cage and suspended for the rear grab handle attachment.
          Attached Files
          2010 NT GLS, ARB Deluxe winch bar, GME TX3540 UHF, TJM battery tray, DBA T3 Disc's, Front & Rear Harop E-Lokers, AAA rear draw system, Anderson connector for AUX power, kumho mt51 265 / 70 / R 17, Bushskinz sliders and Intercooler/Sump/Transmition/Transfer case Bash Plates, Bilstein/Dobinson combo, 2x2m austrack-deluxe-vehicle-awning, Airtec Snorkel, Wetseat Covers front /rear + centre console cover, SPV EGR MOD Mk3.

Comment

• arrow
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2007

Just an observation but I'm not sure I'd be entirely confident with the LHS cargo barrier upper mounting point attached to a plate that is screwed into the grab handle position (second photo, first post). That is not a rated point, to my knowledge, and may give way under the loads involved should you happen to be involved in a prang.

Happy to be corrected.

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by arrow View Post
              Just an observation but I'm not sure I'd be entirely confident with the LHS cargo barrier upper mounting point attached to a plate that is screwed into the grab handle position (second photo, first post). That is not a rated point, to my knowledge, and may give way under the loads involved should you happen to be involved in a prang.

Happy to be corrected.
              I'm with you - it doesn't seem right to me, but I believe I've seen cargo barrier manufacturers producing kits that install that way. Hopefully they've done some calcs and/or testing.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• NTSWBWA
                • Jun 2017
                • Perth

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                I'm with you - it doesn't seem right to me, but I believe I've seen cargo barrier manufacturers producing kits that install that way. Hopefully they've done some calcs and/or testing.
                I’ve also seen multiple cargo barrier manufacturers use this place to attach brackets for their barriers. I’m sure I read an old post on here that mentioned the grab handle itself isn’t rated to attach anything to but the structure that receives the grab handle bolts is substantial enough to support a barrier bracket.

Comment

• Teamjet
                  • Jun 2015
                  • Sydney

I have the blackwidow barrier and shelf - looks similar, but mine is mounted to the grab handles via bracket that came with the unit.

Comment

• damienpajero
                    • Feb 2018
                    • perth

my shelf just screws into grab handle and the barrier is attached to the shelfand centre divider that is attached to the draws , no probs I mount an inverter hi flow copressor and carry a gas cooker on my shelf all good

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X