• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subi
    • Mar 2009
    • nsw

Diff Breather

Do the NL SOLC 3.5 have a diff breather? Can some one tell me the benefits of having one? many thanks.
  • NJ94
    Valued Member
    • May 2009
    • Melbourne East

Originally posted by Subi View Post
    Do the NL SOLC 3.5 have a diff breather? Can some one tell me the benefits of having one? many thanks.
    Not sure about yours but if you are talking about extended diff breathers then I think they stop water from coming in the diff.

One of the more knowledgeable forumites can tell you why they're necessary but I would imagine it is to stop excess pressure building up when the diff's working and stop crud (or water) coming in when it cools.
    "We have two lives, and the second begins when we realise we have only one." Confucius (551-479 B.C.)

MN Triton GLX Plus, dual batteries, ARB winchbar, Airtec snorkel and 3T towbar. Love it!!

Comment

• xsm
      • Mar 2010
      • ACT

Originally posted by Subi View Post
      The front diff has a breather which comes high up into the engine bay. The rear diff has a breather (using fuel grade hose) which terminates into the cylindrical cross member which runs between the chassis rails above the diff. On my NL, I have removed the factory rear diff breather and replaced it by using a 4 metre length of the same type of fuel line and running it high up into the engine bay. I have attached a generic fuel filter to the end of the line in the engine bay to stop contamination into the line. I have used cable ties to secure the line in many places under the car.

All diffs have a breather to relieve pressure caused by heat expansion. The reason that I've extended my rear diff breather is so that water cannot enter the diff through the breather when doing water crossings.

Cheers
      Martin
      Sold my faithful old NL Paj as of July 2015. Moved over to an MU-X. Fond memories of the Paj. Was just to heavy on fuel for towing the van.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X