• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pajshomoneroguntero
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Sydney

Originally posted by mattiusb View Post
    Was looking at this today, can't see any minimum order and a lot cheaper than bunnings although you have got to cut it yourself! Just not sure how I will get it home!!

Not sure what the difference between the qubelok and the hollow square tubing apart from half the cost.
    I think the difference is in the thickness of the aluminum. I (very) vaguely recall that the Qubelok is thinner. I also seem to recall that there may have been an issue with the fittings being interchangeable between the usual RHS and Qubelok.
    NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Aspiro
      • Jun 2018
      • Victoria

Originally posted by Pushbike View Post
      Another Rear Storage Unit

The following design is for a MY17 NX GLX.
      After I recently purchased my first 4WD I was fortunate to discover this forum. I have used the various postings to guide me in the design and construction although I think there is enough difference to warrant this posting. I thank all those who have gone before.

At camp.
      http://home.exetel.com.au/pushbike/4...G_0003.v01.JPG
      Absolutely brilliant, Pushbike - it certainly looks well designed and executed.

I gather that you travel with the 2nd row seats either folded forward or completely removed, and from one of your pics it looks like you have a couple of large plastic tubs on the floor in that space. Do you carry a fridge / freezer, and if so, where do you mount it? I have just acquired a 40 litre fridge and am wondering if it's possible or practical to have it slide out sideways from that same space.

And do you pack items on top of the rear cabinets? How do you stop those items flying forwards if you have to stop quickly?

Cheers

Comment

• Pushbike
        • Jun 2017
        • Sydney

Another Rear Storage Unit

Aspiro,
        Thank you for your compliment.
        The second row seats are folded forward by default. I have put their respective head rests into storage with the 3rd row seats etc. The space you refer to is occupied by two sets of water storage, one set of 5 x10 litre bottles for drinking only and two stacked tubs containing wine/fruit juice bladders approx 60 litres non drinking use.
        As I am a vegetarian and non drinker ( cold stuff anyway) I have limited use for a fridge. Fitting a slide in that space would be difficult due to the intrusion of the wheel arch into the door opening. You could elevate it but then the forward folding section of the storage top might not be available for sleeping. I suppose you could split the folding section.I am pleased that my effort is spurring others to develop this project further.
        Attached Files
        Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
        Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• Aspiro
          • Jun 2018
          • Victoria

Aspiro,
          Thank you for your compliment.
          The second row seats are folded forward by default. I have put their respective head rests into storage with the 3rd row seats etc. The space you refer to is occupied by two sets of water storage, one set of 5 x10 litre bottles for drinking only and two stacked tubs containing wine/fruit juice bladders approx 60 litres non drinking use.
          As I am a vegetarian and non drinker ( cold stuff anyway) I have limited use for a fridge. Fitting a slide in that space would be difficult due to the intrusion of the wheel arch into the door opening. You could elevate it but then the forward folding section of the storage top might not be available for sleeping. I suppose you could split the folding section.I am pleased that my effort is spurring others to develop this project further.
          Thanks again Pushbike for the further explanation and images.

I am planning to build a unit not unlike your own, and am trying to settle on some plastic containers so that I can confirm dimensions. Your materials list indicates that the shallow plastic trays are 790 L x 390 W x 115 H. Could you confirm that the height is indeed 115 mm and not 155 mm please? The only Asset trays that I can find at 155 mm deep.

Cheers

Comment

• Pushbike
            • Jun 2017
            • Sydney

Aspiro,
            Sorry, my error, the Allset bins are 790x 390x 155 .

In my setup the Allset bins are a neat fit, vertically, with only 1-2 mm clearance hence I can't use their lids.
            Both types of bin were sourced from Bunnings, one of their larger stores.
            I.E. Allset 34litre 790x390x155 and Award 35litre EziStack 570x 380x 240
            Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.

Comment

• jaffles
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2020
              • Tamborine Mountain

Hey well done Pushbike. Nice work.
              I was going to ask an estimated weight, but then if the wife and I evolve into something like this once the kids are independent, than I don't think weigh will matter.

We would probably remove the rear seats as well at that point I guess.

Still you have given food for thought, thanks

Comment

• Pushbike
                • Jun 2017
                • Sydney

Thanks Jaffles,
                If you are going to use the second row seats often then I would look at reducing the whole structure dimension, front to back by about 20mm to say 840mm. This will enable a little bit more rake in the second row seat backs.

This does not answer your question RE weight of structure but driver only, fully loaded with fuel, water, food, cooking gear, awning, tent, bedding, recovery gear, tools etc. weigh bridge GVM 2620Kg, Max vehicle GVM 3030Kg leaves spare 410Kg or 230 Kg (ball weight?) for towing.
                The heaviest structual component is the plywood, two sheets 12mm x 1200x2400 = 2x 19Kg = 38Kg The same in MDF = 60Kg

Comment

• xadrian82
                  • Feb 2017
                  • Queensland

Love the design. Nice work.

Comment

• Hazlow
                    • Jul 2021
                    • New Zealand

Thanks Jaffles,
                    If you are going to use the second row seats often then I would look at reducing the whole structure dimension, front to back by about 20mm to say 840mm. This will enable a little bit more rake in the second row seat backs.

This does not answer your question RE weight of structure but driver only, fully loaded with fuel, water, food, cooking gear, awning, tent, bedding, recovery gear, tools etc. weigh bridge GVM 2620Kg, Max vehicle GVM 3030Kg leaves spare 410Kg or 230 Kg (ball weight?) for towing.
                    The heaviest structual component is the plywood, two sheets 12mm x 1200x2400 = 2x 19Kg = 38Kg The same in MDF = 60Kg
                    Great design.
                    I'm looking at building something similar but with the second row seats removed.
                    What was the size/thickness of the steel you used?

Comment

• Pushbike
                      • Jun 2017
                      • Sydney

Hi Hazlow,
                      I did not use steel for the frame. I used Connect It aluminium square hollow section with Connect It joiners. Refer to materials list on original post.
                      Happy to answer any questions about build.
                      The structural "integrity" is a combination of the light weight frame, the plywood panels, the load boards and tie downs, and the fasteners.

Comment

• Hazlow
                        • Jul 2021
                        • New Zealand

Hi Hazlow,
                        I did not use steel for the frame. I used Connect It aluminium square hollow section with Connect It joiners. Refer to materials list on original post.
                        Happy to answer any questions about build.
                        The structural "integrity" is a combination of the light weight frame, the plywood panels, the load boards and tie downs, and the fasteners.
                        Cheers mate,

The original materials list doesn't seem to load for me unfortunately.

I hail Mary'd it and just so happens I ended up ordering some 25.4mm wide connect-it framing too, so I might be on the right path.
                        Haven't used these before but hoping that with enough bracing and fixing it should make a good bed frame.

Comment

• Pushbike
                          • Jun 2017
                          • Sydney

Hazlow,
                          What platform are you using to access the forum?
                          The document is an open source derived document and should be accessible from Windows document application. I'll check with my Win 10 system.
                          I may need to change it to PDF format.

I have changed the file so that either pdf or txt format download can be selected. See how you go.
                          Remember, when downloading to your browser you may need to select view (direct) or save the file. You need to know where your downloads reside. I have a short cut to the Downloads folder on my desktop.
                          Last edited by Pushbike; 30-10-21, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• Hazlow
                            • Jul 2021
                            • New Zealand

I've made a bit of progress and managed to put something together using the connect-it system, 12mm ply and some garage carpet.
                            Seems to hold up pretty well to weight and is lightweight and easy to install/remove.
                            Only downside is that the second row seats need to be completely removed to have it in.

254539563_617361166362893_5044169093265545570_n.jpg
                            254724390_394381245681486_3925509690546555574_n.jpg

Have an opening for a 36L fridge on the left and a guide to slide a couple of tubs back through on the right hand side.

Thanks for the inspiration!
                            Ready to test it out over summer.

Comment

• Pushbike
                              • Jun 2017
                              • Sydney

Hi Hazlow,
                              As you have seen from the original post I hinged the front section of the top platform to enable me to sleep up there, and it has worked well.
                              I also made some fly screens for the side windows. Fixed outside using the recovered strip magnets from an old fridge door seal.

Check out this thread:

Good progress on your build and I'm sure once you have started, more refinements will evolve.

Comment

• Bprice
                                • Nov 2018
                                • Perth

Hi all, I have seen many posts on storage ideas so I thought I will share mine. Originally I used the connect it system from Bunnings. The shelving was not too heavy but severe corrugations resulted in the plastic joiners breaking. I have replaced that system with shelving made from 12mm and 18mm ply from Bunnings. The unit is heavier (around 50kg) but lighter than a twin drawer system (70- 90kg). It is thoughrolly braced and has withstood severe corrugations. As a bonus I can still access my seat cavity. At the front of the unit, the base iis bolted down to the child seat anchor points. The rear is held down by turn buckles to metal eye bolts in the cargo tie down points. I believe these points are rated to 50kg.

2010 NT 3.8L with the usual stuff.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X