• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cwhite
    • Mar 2018
    • Roxburgh Park, Victoria

trip omputer, fuel comsumption.Cwhite

Hi guys, I've a problem with my trip computer and fuel comsumption of my NS/08 t/diesel. On a return trip from Merimbula on one of those long hills cruise control cut off and it worked again after a couple of Ks. I noticed straight away the trip computer went viral showing figures like 21.5, 19.3, 17.9, 15.3 and the lowest 14.5, I've kept reseting it all the time, sometimes went up to 23, then very slow down ,after about 5 Ks to 10.5 when I was getting 8.9 to 9.2 on Highway with cruise control. I also have some stupid readings down hill like 0.6, 3.8, 5.6 but as soon as I touch the throtle go to 14.5 litres per 100K. I'm using a lot more fuel specially in town traffic. Cruise works but I use more fuel, I think at the moment I get about 100 Ks less per tank. Please any clues that help me to avoid going to MM. Thanks, Cwhite.
  • 1madgerman
    • May 2019
    • DECEPTION BAY

I have an 07 ns which is doing similar I'm looking to remove my DPF as I believe this is a big part of my problem, no dpf lights or anything.

If you look at the fuel usage of the pajero either side of the dpf models the stock usage is a fair bit lower.

Could be completely unrelated to.

Was it serviced recently?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Cwhite
      • Mar 2018

Thanks for your replay, yes I service it regularly, I have 206 Ks and already done injectors, dpf replaced with a " Tune It" unit and EGR tuned of. I thought it could be some sort of sensor that gives signal to computer but really no idea.

Comment

• 1madgerman
        • May 2019
        • DECEPTION BAY

Have you done the calculation manually at the fuel pump to check actual usage?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

Simple things first:
          - how long has it been using more fuel, eg, more than 1 tank of fuel?
          - have you tried a different brand of fuel?
          - don't rely on the trip computer - keep manual records tank to tank
          - check air filter is clean - when was fuel filter last done?
          - is it down on power? Check turbo hoses are all on tight.
          - try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes to reset the ECU
          - check exhaust is not blocked - does it sound normal?
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Cwhite
            • Mar 2018

Well I've done injectors 2month ago and after 5 days took it back because injectors were ticking under acceleration, they check it and sed that was normal but will take at least 3 fuel tanks to settle. So now injectors settled are ok but fuel compsumtion is higher than normal. Before all this problem with trip omputer the car was wanderfull ,I always do the manual calculation every time I refuel but computer didn't jump up and down like now and when I drive in traffic I panic because it shows 14.5, 15.3 L. At service had checked air filter and changed fuel filter. Have some friends in Golden Beach, Vic, I often drive there, second last trip in July, from Roxbugh Park to Sale, Vic ,about 248 Ks I used 8.163 L/100 Ks. Last trip 5/10/19 same distance same speed (103 on cruise )10.6L/100.

Comment

• erad
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2015
              • Cooma NSW

I wouldn't panic - yet. There are many things which affect fuel consumption. Temperature, wind, traffic, hills, the viscosity of the oil used in the engine sump - the list is endless. Depending on the diesel you are filling with, it may foam up a lot. From the first click of the pump, I often can get well over 5 L of fuel after that before it really starts to be full. Over a 250 km trip, that is a major variance. Keep records of what you put ito the beast and after a few thousand km, then you can get a more accurate comparison.

Comment

• Seigried
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2016
                • brisbane

Some thoughts.
                When the injectors were replaced did they program them into the ecu?
                If you have a performance chip unplug it and see if things improve.
                Has the intank filter been replaced.
                What is the condition of the fuel hoses? On an ns there going to be 10+ years old
                The trip computer could be buggered.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Cwhite
                  • Mar 2018

Thanks guys, For start: I only use caltex vortex diesel, some bp ultimate when not too pricey or 7 eleven . If injectors were program to icu or not , I supose dey did but don't know, got them done at Turbo Engineering in Thomastown. In regards to wind and trafffic, it was a smooth trip back home with virtualy no wind. In tank filter, I own the car for 5 years and never even thought about it. Trip computer was spot on till return trip from Merimbula , then started jump up and down and drinking significantly more. Still think of a sensor, gone or dirty , any think that gives data and tricks trip computer or icu. Fuel or maybe air, oxigen ? Thanks for all your replays guys.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X