• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rgrubby
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2018
    • Wellington - NZ

Just swapped my suspension out last night and this post and the following link were invaluable.
    This is a DIY guide to fitting a suspension lift kit in a Gen 4 Mitsubishi Pajero / Montero. UPDATE: Buy your strut spacers here if you can't make your own. ...

The only issue I had was when I removed the rear springs, I found the rubber pads above and below the spring were worn and deformed. The lower pads are still usable for now, but the top ones were well deformed.

Rear Suspension Pad 1.jpg
    As it was late at night and I needed to drive, I fit them back in as best I could. As soon as I drove off the noise was horrible, the spring seemed to be rubbing metal.

Today I ordered new ones, but its over a week to get them so I made some temporary ones from 5mm heavy duty rubber
    Rear Suspension Pad with temp.jpg
    The noise is gone, so they must be working

Thanks again for the great post
    2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• swys42
      • Oct 2019
      • Aldinga Beach

Thanks just used this instructions to remove rear springs and install upper and lower rubbers, old ones was shot and then installed airbagman with sleeves. Car looks like it gained another 5 cm of lift.
      Followed all instructions even using thongs to press lower control arms down :P worked great

Comment

• Gravel Seeker
        • Apr 2019
        • Norway

I have a 2014 and bought a OME lift kit for it.
        Anyone know where I can find details on how to remove all the OE mounting hardware from the old stock front shocks and mount it on the new OME shocks? The kit came with just shocks and springs and nothing else so have to reuse all original mounting hardware, but I've never done this before so would like to know what I'm getting into before digging a hole I'm unable to get out of.
        The parts could be sourced from ARB, but the shop said it's cost AU$840 + freight to Norway so it wasn't really an option. I could get the parts from Mitsubishi here, but would like to try and re-use what I have.

Alternatively I've been thinking of bringing the old and new front struts to a shop and ask them to switch the parts over then remount them in the car myself.
        Last resort I guess is just handing them the keys for a few hours and pick it when it's done. But then again I could get the alignment control done at the same time.

So if anyone has a link to somewhere where the actual swapping over of the mounting hardware is done I'd appreciate it.

Comment

• Two Emms
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2020
          • Mansfield, Vic

Originally posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
          Alternatively I've been thinking of bringing the old and new front struts to a shop and ask them to switch the parts over then remount them in the car myself.
          This is probably your best option. Assembling the struts yourself can be difficult. When assembling them with aftermarket springs which are often longer and may be heavier duty (So harder to compress) it's even harder. Standard spring compressors may not be strong enough.

Plenty of "Assembling front struts" vids on YouTube. This gives you an idea of what is involved.

Once they are assembled, installation is pretty straightforward and you can save a few dollars by doing that yourself.
          2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• Jasonmc73
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2019
            • Brisbane

Alternatively I've been thinking of bringing the old and new front struts to a shop and ask them to switch the parts
            My thoughts,

I use to swap heaps of springs 20 years back as accesory fitter, they were cars, not hard.

The springs your looking at, 4wd, if you have the correct equipment & experience you'll be fine, not hard.

If you don't you have no option, pay the money as if it goes bad, you will end up dead or quite smashed up.

I don't & once i get around to it i will definately be paying someone, not a cosideration for me.

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Gravel Seeker
              • Apr 2019
              • Norway

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by Two Emms View Post
              This is probably your best option. Assembling the struts yourself can be difficult. When assembling them with aftermarket springs which are often longer and may be heavier duty (So harder to compress) it's even harder. Standard spring compressors may not be strong enough.
              Plenty of "Assembling front struts" vids on YouTube. This gives you an idea of what is involved.
              Once they are assembled, installation is pretty straightforward and you can save a few dollars by doing that yourself.
              I know there are videos, but I can't find one for the Pajero. If all cars/4X4 are the same then that's not a problem, but I have no idea if they are all identical. It would surprise me if they are all exactly the same
              There's this video, but looks like that's for a 4-Runner or a Tacoma as their later videos are about installation on those, but pre-assembled.

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
              My thoughts, I use to swap heaps of springs 20 years back as accesory fitter, they were cars, not hard.
              The springs your looking at, 4wd, if you have the correct equipment & experience you'll be fine, not hard.
              If you don't you have no option, pay the money as if it goes bad, you will end up dead or quite smashed up.
              I don't & once i get around to it i will definately be paying someone, not a cosideration for me.
              Problem is that since I can't find a video or detailed instructions of moving the parts over (on a Pajero), I have no idea if I have the tools needed. I think I probably do. I have a large bench vice, all the hand tools in spanners and sockets and such and a set of manual spring compressors, but like you say those can kill you if you're the unlucky one from the statistics.

Springs are longer and maybe stiffer. It's the TÃœV approved 40mm front/ 50mm rear lift from OME (only lift that's legal here). Also my 2014 has 100K kms on it so the old ones would've sagged a little I'm sure.

Comment

• Two Emms
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2020
                • Mansfield, Vic

Maybe look at the diagrams of what is fitted to original struts and make sure all these bits and pieces end up on the new ones. AC603514AC00ENG.pdf
                Attached Files
                2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• Gravel Seeker
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Norway

Originally posted by Two Emms View Post
                  Maybe look at the diagrams of what is fitted to original struts and make sure all these bits and pieces end up on the new ones. AC603514AC00ENG.pdf
                  Thanks. I had found an image of the fiche, but the quality is much lower than your pdf. Looks like #3 is threaded internally and may require a shock wrench to tighten? (like the ones you use to adjust motorcycle shocks)

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2019
                    • Brisbane

Maybe these links can help?

http://faq.out-club.ru/download/paje...514AC00ENG.pdf

http://faq.out-club.ru/download/paje...3/index_M1.htm

https://www.amazon.com.au/Mophorn-Co...7676614&sr=8-6

Last edited by Jasonmc73; 11-12-20, 07:19 PM.
                    Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Two Emms
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2020
                      • Mansfield, Vic

Thanks. I had found an image of the fiche, but the quality is much lower than your pdf. Looks like #3 is threaded internally and may require a shock wrench to tighten? (like the ones you use to adjust motorcycle shocks)
                      Don't think so. Just looking at the assembly/disassembly instructions in the Russian manual linked above by jasonmc73. The instructions seem to show that only the small lock nut (part no 1) holds it all together.

Have a look at 33 Front Suspension and "shock absorber assembly " in detail.

I can tell you that part 9 is very important as it acts as a bump stop at full compression

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2019
                        • Brisbane

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2019
                          • Brisbane

I think you'll find all the nuts doing is holding the assembly when not assembled into the vehicle basically.
                          Last edited by Jasonmc73; 11-12-20, 07:41 PM.

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011
                            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Unless the vehicle is new, I would not be reusing the top mount, bushes and compression stop, top mounts wear and crack, bushes wear and compression stops age harden. You need to compress the coils about 50mm and with spring rates of 10kg/mm to 12kg/mm, that is 500kg to 600kg of force required. Unless you have a heavy duty strut compressor it is just not worth the risk.
                            Just by preassembled struts an save yourself the hassle and danger of disassembling and reassembling struts.

OJ.
                            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2019
                              • Brisbane

Just as example of parts for my VIN

Comment

• Two Emms
                                Valued Member
                                • Jan 2020
                                • Mansfield, Vic

Just another thought, you may not be able to use the Mitsubishi parts. The shaft of the new struts might thicker than the factory ones. And the factory bump stop etc fit over the shaft.

Might be worth checking before you go any further.

Even if you can use factory components, Old Jack is right, new parts is the best option.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X