• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • endr4
    • Apr 2017
    • Riga,Latvia

My (failed) project to build Trophy-raid Pajero 4/NS

I have used this forum a lot as source of information about Pajero and their faults and capabilities, so I decided to share my story about my off-road specific Pajero project. Maybe will contain some information for future readers. I have had or used several (4 or 5) Gen3 Pajero's for several years as daily drivers and had always been super satisfied with them, my previous pajero 3/NP in three years had few oil changes, overhaul of all braking components (twice ) and maybe one other repair. I have always liked off-roading, but since I live in Northern Europe, the off-roading is less camping, more daily courses, since any place is my country in at most 50km from hotel/motel, we do not camp, go on expeditions, but drive on forest roads that provide challanges to our vehicles and driving skills with water, mud, swamps, peat bogs and trees.I was looking at a Pajero 3 for couple of years to build for such weekend acitivities, but didn't find many good options with manual gearbox and difflock, and was afraid of the fuel pump problem, so when I found one for sale at 6650 EUR, I immediatly decided to buy it. My problem was that although it was only 10 years old (most of the off road specific 4x4s are more than 12 years old here) it had 342k km on the clock, which I wasn't too afraid off (mistake), as the car had good service history, didn 't have rust or any issues with engine, transmission, drivetrain, 4wd system. So I bought it, thinking it has resource of 500k, and as I planned to use it only on weekend (8k km per year) I thought I would be the last owner for it anyway, but would use it for three or more years. So here my project began, this is the first picture with everything stock.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oxAiiqRd5tyaOF613

My investments after this were:
    1) Dragon Winch 10000lbs (You can fit easily a winch on Pajero 4, both manual and automatic). Worked, but slow and required quite some servicing, better choose Runva or SuperWinch.
    2) Intercooler, engine and transfer case protection (6mm aluminium plates, custom made to protect the intercooler, which is in a ridiculous place, just above the front crossmember, directly where any rock or branch would hit, and the stock tinplate shield can not protect it. The fuel tank needs protection as well, I didn't do it, but if someone want's to use it off road - it's necessary.
    3) 275/70R17 Maxxis Bighorn tyres 32". This is an easily fittable tyre on Pajero 4, I used rims with ET25, but you can easily use stock rims with 32" tyres, minor trimming of completly usleless plastic was necessary, but no harm done to the car. 275/70R17 also fits in the rear spare wheel holder without any trimming. I have seen 33" tyres on Pajero 4 and Pajero 3, but those are actually 32" tyres, as BfGoodrich has one inch smaller actual measurements, so 33x12.5 are actually 32" tyres, same with 285/70R17 Mud-Terrain KM2, they are actually 32" tyres. I checked Yokohama geolandar MT and they run true to the size also, like MAXXIS. I have also once seem Pajero 3 with 34" (actual measurement) tyres, but I do not understand how that car can drive for more than 3 km without braking CVs and HSs. Also do weigh the tyres, as some are heavier than other, and you want to put as little extra weight on the axles as possible, I threfore chose maxxis over cooper stt pro. The Bighorns were ok, but I did not feel any superb feeling with them, would choose yokohama or simex or interco next time.
    4) Lovell's gas legend shocks and lovells extra heavy duty springs - way to go, superb Aussie product. Tried using spacers, but the suspension would sag after 2 outings, so you really need to go with good springs. 32" tires with lovells suspension gave me 30cm ground clearence below front crossmember and the 6mm bashplate. This is maximum you can get from pajero if you do not do suspension drop. Always go with the EHD springs with Diesel.
    5) Lokka front locker - works, and very useful, since pajero has super heavy front end, but unusable due to steering interference. It pulls the car randomly to sides when locking/unlocking, unsafe. Either fit ARB air locker or don't bother.
    6) Bravo snorkel - really good product, fits also with the xenon lamps I had.
    7) 90cm led light bar (Chinese) - does it's job off road, gives flood light as high beam all around.
    8) Lenovo tablet for OziExplorer - Android is complete crap, buy Windows tablet that can run PC version of OZi, not the broken Android one, it crashes 10 times per hour.
    On this I spent around 3250 EUR, with installation, and was quite happy with this on paper.

Some mods:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/2nvxXer0TJtjldFh2
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/e41YnMZIZXBnttmq2

Some pictures in action:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/0KWfmLseI53eXRNu2
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/haZ3JRurBhoaalGL2
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/buX7RWAZCo8dSBTf2
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/tRgDqCCLw0UBfJnA3
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/UneRw0dhFcH8Q5B63
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/OVtcnb4W8hAroKWp1
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/cVW7bLuc8F0aybi12
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/omHNCc3PrGRlIDUr2
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/8YJZIVUaqdt2JfSn1
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/2ogR8lS7x2yWhMFv2
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Pe4Auu39ibWhOMEv2

Now comes the reason why I consider it a failed project - the pajero just can't get through tough offroad, loose ground. It does not "float", it's too heavy, the 4wd drive is crap and where land cruisers (70/80), patrols (y60/y61), g-wagon (w463) and jimny go easily, pajero just can't, it gets stuck any time the wheels can not reach solid ground within the 30cm of ground clearance, even with the triple lockers. Something is wrong with the independant suspension, wheelspin and power delivery and most definately weight. It's in the same loser league as jeeps, landrovers, vitaras etc.

The other major issue is Pajero can not handle tough offroad, its fragile. It has too many too weak parts. I changed 3 wheel bearings (no improvements over Pajero 3), one halfshaft with CV joint, and probably two other were broken as well by the time I sold it, all seals at diffs and CV boots, 3 ABS sensors, steering pinion, rear differential (it just internally destroyed itself), clutch, 3 times parking brake mechanism, fuel tank, and twenty other small parts in drivetrain. I paid around 4750EUR for these repairs in one year. The parts are 3 times more expensive than for Mercedes G-wagon and 2 times more expensive than for Toyota Land Cruiser.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/0ydiJWXbXIiAlRzO2
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ysF9Uj7shoFNuSYl1

So I sold the car after 14 months in parts and I can only suggest to avoid Pajero for real, tough off road. I would still consider a 2010 and above pajero with milage less than 225k km for driving on gravel or solid country roads, but not for real adventures. Thanks for all the knowledge in this forum, and hope this helps someone avoid the same mistake I did.

Last picture with bighorns
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/qjjzlK4Fl6gVfnI62
    Last picture with winter studded tyres
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/hjxyEuCaevEySFmU2
    Last edited by endr4; 24-03-18, 09:04 AM. Reason: image links
  • KiwiNTPajero
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2014
    • Wellington,New Zealand

i thought that this was common knowledge.The pajero is not any heavier than any contemporary ,its main limitation is limited wheel travel.
    When you see and observe how solid axle vehicles articulate you can see why limited wheel travel,independent suspension and modest ground clearance all work together to make the pajero not as good as patrols,landcruisers etc in the real rugged stuff.
    I still belive that the ultimate 4wd would have long travel independent suspension.Doesnt the pinzgaur have independent suspension?
    For my sorta use i think the pajero is fantastic
    I think you should have stuck to the earlier Pajero(ladder chassis/solid axles) and stuck a 4m41 in it!
    Thanks for your story.
    2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
    BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• stumagoo
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2014
      • Perth WA S.O.R

yep wheel travel is the issue for the Pajero.... even gen 2's suffer from this in the front. There are ways around it either by modifying suspension and destoying CV's regularly - custom building long travel suspension or going for lockers (the traction control is very good for sure but it has its limitations).

It seems to me that this case was a situation where the owner wanted to go out with the big players... and while I believe a Pajero can put a good showing here it is always going to be tough. One of our club members has a 3.8 NS and that does play with the big boys..... but it has over 6 inches of lift and twin lockers - it does not rely on articulation as much as its great ground clearance and the lockers to drive the wheels that are still on the ground
      1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
      *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
      1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• endr4
        • Apr 2017
        • Riga,Latvia

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
        The pajero is not any heavier than any contemporary
        Its 200kg more heavy than Prado 120 3door, for no visible benefit

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2016
          • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by endr4 View Post
          Its 200kg more heavy than Prado 120 3door, for no visible benefit

You don't own it now so I don't see what the problem is. Move on with your life. The Pajero does what it is intended to do.

You also mentioned fuel pump problem. What exactly is the fuel pump problem?

Driving through mud is a mugs game regardless what you drive.

BTW. The SWB Pajero diesel weighs 2,085kg. The SWB Prado weighs 2,100kg.

Comment

• NJV6
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2010
            • New Zealand

Originally posted by endr4 View Post
            but those are actually 32" tyres, as BfGoodrich has one inch smaller actual measurements, so 33x12.5 are actually 32" tyres, same with 285/70R17 Mud-Terrain KM2, they are actually 32" tyres. I checked Yokohama geolandar MT and they run true to the size also, like MAXXIS.
            Manufactures measurements, for a 33x12.5 BFG is 32.8, Maxxis 762 is 32.9 and 285/70/17 measures 33 inch on the button for both brands so not sure where your finding your info!
            1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
            1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
            2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

Sorry to hear your Pajero experience wasn't what you hoped it would be - seems like you certainly tried to make it work, but sooner or later it's time to move on. Thanks for posting your story, and the pics - there are some great images.

I'm not surprised you had so much trouble with seals - that's one of the biggest disadvantages of independent suspension, so many more seals exposed to the elements. They certainly don't like being exposed to mud or dirty water, which appears to be most of what you drive.

I noticed your experience with wheel bearings - front or rear? Were you buying genuine Mitsubishi, or aftermarket replacement. We seem to be experiencing premature failure with rear aftermarket bearings, where factory bearings last much longer.

I'm also surprised to hear you broke a rear diff - what was the failure mode?

Last question, what have you bought as a replacement?
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• endr4
                • Apr 2017
                • Riga,Latvia

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
                Manufactures measurements, for a 33x12.5 BFG is 32.8, Maxxis 762 is 32.9 and 285/70/17 measures 33 inch on the button for both brands so not sure where your finding your info!
                If you actually measure bfgoodrich when mounted on rim, they are an inch smaller than manufacturers data. I went to a tire warehouse and measured it myself. Do not believe that just because it's written on sidewall 33x12.5 it would be actual 33 inches.

Comment

• endr4
                  • Apr 2017
                  • Riga,Latvia

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                  You don't own it now so I don't see what the problem is. Move on with your life. The Pajero does what it is intended to do.

You also mentioned fuel pump problem. What exactly is the fuel pump problem?

Driving through mud is a mugs game regardless what you drive.

BTW. The SWB Pajero diesel weighs 2,085kg. The SWB Prado weighs 2,100kg.

I have no problem at all, neither with pajero as model nor with mine, nor moving on, as I told - I would consider a pajero anyway for specific conditions, just information here, that may help someone.

The fuel pump problem is with Gen3, the non -repairable fuel pump has a resource of onyl about 150k km and costs 2k+ EUR to replace. Sometime caused by the inner coating of fuel tank eroding and damaging the pump, sometimes just dies on its own

Prado J120 3-door manual is actually 1840kg and Pajero ir up to 2310kg, mine was 2160kg, as per certificate of conformity.
                  Toyota Land Cruiser Prado (J125) 3.0 D-4D (170 Hp) 4WD ECT-E SUV 2004 2005 2006 2007 | Technical Specs, Fuel consumption, Dimensions, 170 Hp, 165 km/h, 102.53 mph, 0-100 km/h: 12.7 sec, 0-60 mph: 12.1 sec

Comment

• endr4
                    • Apr 2017
                    • Riga,Latvia

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                    Sorry to hear your Pajero experience wasn't what you hoped it would be - seems like you certainly tried to make it work, but sooner or later it's time to move on. Thanks for posting your story, and the pics - there are some great images.

I'm not surprised you had so much trouble with seals - that's one of the biggest disadvantages of independent suspension, so many more seals exposed to the elements. They certainly don't like being exposed to mud or dirty water, which appears to be most of what you drive.

I noticed your experience with wheel bearings - front or rear? Were you buying genuine Mitsubishi, or aftermarket replacement. We seem to be experiencing premature failure with rear aftermarket bearings, where factory bearings last much longer.

I'm also surprised to hear you broke a rear diff - what was the failure mode?

Last question, what have you bought as a replacement?
                    Hi!

Yeah, a lot of dirty water

Original bearings went both front and one rear, I then used best quality aftermarkets, bet not originals.

The rear diff was a mystery. So I had the locking version of it, and the locker anchorage (inside the diff case) tore itself off from the case and grinded around inside the internal diff carrier, grooving it from inside. If you have disassembled a locking rear diff, I can send you some pictures and you can compare, but this was the problem that was complete shock to me, as there was not external damage done to the diff and such damage was unheard of.

I haven't bought anything jet, my daily car is Mercedes GLC250d, but for weekends I'm looking at G300TD W463 or something with frame, beam axles and simple, robust construction.

Comment

• endr4
                      • Apr 2017
                      • Riga,Latvia

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
                      I think you should have stuck to the earlier Pajero(ladder chassis/solid axles) and stuck a 4m41 in it!
                      Sure, I originally wanted a manual Gen2 with 3.5V6 and 3 doors, but they have all rusted away (we have winters and humidity that reduces the life of all these Japanese made cars) or have been rebuilt to participate in Dakar -style races.

Comment

• Doely
                        • Feb 2016
                        • newcastle

It's true, the Pajero is probably a little more car than truck. If plowing through mud and snow is your thing... Then something closer to a tractor is best. Y61 patrol is a good choice... I know this is an old thread, but a semi-comp off road project with 342,000kms???
                        I'd expect a whole heap of problems.

Seems the old paj did quite well, considering mileage and the terrain you put it through.

Just my 2c... Pajeros Really are family cars that do pretty fine off road.... Plus they pop wheelies... Halarious.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X