• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beagleONE
    • May 2016
    • SA

transfer popping out of LR

Hi all,
    I have had my paj (97 NL 4M40) for about four months now, in that time I have had it pop out of low range twice We all know that low range generally isnt the most opportune moment to slip into angle gear...
    Car has done 250000km, previous owner appeared to be on top of servicing, set up as a touring bus more than anything (unsure how much low range work it has seen over the years).

-First time was first gear, low going down a moderate rocky hill, well under 1500rpm. I just put this down to me not engaging the shifter properly

-Second time was our last trip. Second low, down another hill. I let the revs get out to between 2500-3000rpm (open grassy hill) and she popped out again.

Is this likely to be simply worn out? Not engaging properly due to lack of use? Other?
    Is there anything that I can look for for obvious issues to pinpoint what may be causing this to happen?

It hasnt popped out under load or idling when going up moderate/steep climbs; crawling through rocks; in sand etc....

Thanks in advance for your help / ideas / suggestions
  • peter92
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2009
    • maryborough queensland

does it stay i L going up hill or on the flat ,
    If you hold the lever in does it try to jump out at all, it maybe just not engaging propperly
    Peter
    used to be nl 1999 auto,3.5lt petrol.
    now 1994 80 series cruiser diesel wagon
    bull bar side steps, mags,dual batt system,2 waecos 35lt,40lt h/reese towbar,103amp agm batt, 500w inverter. narva spotties, uniden uh7700nb uhf 40 ch narrow band, 2.5kva inverter generator
    SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

• beagleONE
      • May 2016
      • SA

Originally posted by peter92 View Post
      does it stay i L going up hill or on the flat ,
      If you hold the lever in does it try to jump out at all, it maybe just not engaging propperly
      Peter
      hi peter,
      i havent had it pop out uphill or on the flat yet. it would have happened in less than 1% of the operation time in low range, but only on the downhills to date.
      holding it in gear it hasnt felt like it wants to force its way out either...

maybe i am just average at selecting transfer gears

Comment

• sparkymizzo
        • Nov 2009

i had that problem too, turned out to be a gear box mount, small one on the side.

Comment

• chch_pajero
          • Mar 2018
          • Christchurch

I am having this problem as well. 93 4m40 LWB. It pops out of low range only going down steep hills. i can have my passenger hold the lever and it will stay in low range. But this isn't ideal. Did you ever find your fix for this?

Cheers

Comment

• Just Cruzin
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2014
            • Pakenham

Does your car have a body lift?
            99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...