• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tonyvagabond
    • Oct 2019
    • Perth

Spotilghts again

Hello all, PS newbie here. I'm getting a 2019 PS GLS next week. Also a bullbar. I have 20cm diameter Fyrlyt spotlights. Will they interfere with the Forward collision Mitigation System and Adaptive Cruise Control?
    I know that Mitsubishi says they will interfere. I know I can turn them off manually - i did that on the test drive.
    But I'm interested in whether anyone has actual experience with using this sized lights on a PS.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Tonyvagabond; 07-11-19, 11:51 AM.
  • DibbyDibbyDJ
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2019
    • Victoria

The radar sits behind the badge in the centre of the grille, so anything in its area can affect it.

You can turn off adaptive cruise control, but cant turn off Forward collision mitigation.
    2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• Tonyvagabond
      • Oct 2019
      • Perth

I still don't know

Hi Dibby thanks for the answer. However, I did a test drive and discovered that the Adaptive Cruise Control can be changed to normal cruise control, and that the FCM system can definitely be turned off.
      So I'm wondering - does anyone have actual experience using 9 inch spotlights with a PS which has these features?
      Thanks

Comment

• orthodoxs
        • Mar 2018
        • Darwin

Hi Tony, The lights don't seem to obstruct as long as they are installed on either side of the Badge.
        I’ve mentioned this before, but when you buy a new model of vehicle, there will be delays for accessories. The bullbar was no exception to this. I searched the Web, I attended a number of loc…

Pls look at the blog above, with 7"s installed.
        other info on the exceed model, in this blog, may also interest you, hope it helps.
        Cheers.

Comment

• orthodoxs
          • Mar 2018
          • Darwin

Has anybody mock trialed the FCM, I tried it in an open area with a medium sized cardboard box, equal to a big dog in size, which got totaled with no attempted braking. Does the FCM use the Radar or the Ultrasonic proximity transducer?

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2019
            • Victoria

It uses the radar behind the badge. Yes i have tried it. the car doesnt brake for you, it pre pressurises the braking system ready for you to just touch the pedal. the pump makes a lot of noise when it happens.Very unnerving first time i tried it.
            On the outlander the car will brake for you.
            2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• Tonyvagabond
              • Oct 2019
              • Perth

Thanks

Thank you for the replies. Mitsubishi said that i could use 7 inch lights. But I already have 9 inch Fyrlyts - which are great and I don't want to part with. So I'm hoping that there will be enough space between them!

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2016
                • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Tonyvagabond View Post
                Thank you for the replies. Mitsubishi said that i could use 7 inch lights. But I already have 9 inch Fyrlyts - which are great and I don't want to part with. So I'm hoping that there will be enough space between them!

We don't have any of that stuff on our pajero.

Mate do you really need it? I've been driving over 57 years and managed without it.

I think it makes drivers lazy.

Comment

• Tonyvagabond
                  • Oct 2019
                  • Perth

I agree

Hi BruceandBobbi.
                  I agree with you completely. I absolutely hate the idea of all that crap at the front! I want to use my 9 inch spotlights and I don’t want these systems to interfere. That’s why I’m asking.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2016
                    • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Tonyvagabond View Post
                    Hi BruceandBobbi.
                    I agree with you completely. I absolutely hate the idea of all that crap at the front! I want to use my 9 inch spotlights and I don’t want these systems to interfere. That’s why I’m asking.

Comment

• orthodoxs
                      • Mar 2018
                      • Darwin

Originally posted by DibbyDibbyDJ View Post
                      It uses the radar behind the badge. Yes i have tried it. the car doesnt brake for you, it pre pressurises the braking system ready for you to just touch the pedal. the pump makes a lot of noise when it happens.Very unnerving first time i tried it.
                      On the outlander the car will brake for you.
                      I was under the impression that the FCM uses the ultrasonic sensors b'cos it activated with a loud grating/grinding noise, when a car cut across me at a junction, more like a cross traffic scenario. In other vehicles with a similar cross traffic safety feature, the system uses the array of ultrasound sensors at both ends and the sides of the bumpers both in the front and the back during reversing. I wonder if there is a rear cross traffic feature while reversing in the PS.
                      On the other hand if the FCM does use the RADAR, then it may not be wise to mount the lights on either side of the badge thus narrowing its view and negating the cross traffic safety feature.

Comment

• ron2503
                        • Dec 2017
                        • Alex Hills

The radar spread is fairly narrow. As long as the Mitsy badge in the centre is not obscured then you won't have a problem. Many have done it. You may have to drill new holes in your bar to spread the lights wider.
                        2017 PS. OE Bullbar & Towbar. Uniden 7740NB UHF in Console. Roadvision 7" LED's, Custom Offroad SS bash plates, Outback Armour 2"lift; Outback Accessories 107L LRT, Towpro Elite, Masten 6 wheel TPMS.
                        Towing '99 Jayco 16' StarCraft poptop.
                        Traded 1997 Terrano II. OME with Kings Springs. ECB Bullbar

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Victoria

Originally posted by orthodoxs View Post
                          I was under the impression that the FCM uses the ultrasonic sensors b'cos it activated with a loud grating/grinding noise, when a car cut across me at a junction, more like a cross traffic scenario. In other vehicles with a similar cross traffic safety feature, the system uses the array of ultrasound sensors at both ends and the sides of the bumpers both in the front and the back during reversing. I wonder if there is a rear cross traffic feature while reversing in the PS.
                          On the other hand if the FCM does use the RADAR, then it may not be wise to mount the lights on either side of the badge thus narrowing its view and negating the cross traffic safety feature.

The range of the ultrasonics is minimal, about 1.5 metres. The sensors see nothing beyond that. The Blind spot warning sensors are a bit stronger. Rear

cross traffic alert uses different system, with Large Units behind the bumper bar.

The Feild of vision of the radar is narrow as it leaves the sensor, and spreads out so you might be alright with smaller lights.

When we calibrate the FCM we use a Mirror about 1.5 m high and 1m wide, placed about 1m in front of the bumper.
                          2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

I,d just stick the 9 inch lights on. Anyone who needs the fcm or adaptive cruise..shouldn,t hold a bloody licence if they cant see 10foot in front or dont know how to slow down when approaching a vehicle in front. Cant believe the shite they put on cars...Front in crash...there,s another $2000 worth of bullshit to fix!!!
                            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• 2bad4u
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2009
                              • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                              I,d just stick the 9 inch lights on. Anyone who needs the fcm or adaptive cruise..shouldn,t hold a bloody licence if they cant see 10foot in front or dont know how to slow down when approaching a vehicle in front. Cant believe the shite they put on cars...Front in crash...there,s another $2000 worth of bullshit to fix!!!
                              I'm sure someone would have said the same about seat belts 50 - 60 years ago.

Gotta move with the times and it's an added safety feature. That being said, I've grown to like the adaptive cruise control and use it a lot now. Forward collision..... that's another story. I hate it as it is too sensitive at times, has actually applied the brakes in completely unnecessary situations a couple of times so I now just turn it off. But others like it and that's their choice.
                              Warren
                              2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
                              2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X