• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 85L200Express
    • Mar 2012
    • Tasmania

DIY Auto Transmission Service

I'm considering finally doing an auto tranny service on my diesel now it's approaching 180km. Has anyone got experience doing one and carrying out a flush as opposed to just an oil change? I'd love some advice or to be pointed to a good guide regarding a flush.

Also what fluid pumps do you recommend? I'm looking at this Toledo one currently but hoping I can find something a little cheaper.

Look forward to your responses!
  • benckj
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2017
    • Alexandra , New Zealand

Generally to flush trans remove as much fluid as possible (ie run with cooler disconnected) and re-fill with new OEM spec fluid. Drive as normal until next engine oil change and then repeat. Continue with this routine until your satisfied with the colour of trans fluid as being new.

I tend to use a Penrite FS equivalent as it’s much less expensive and IMO better than OEM.

Comment

• Lost1
      • Dec 2013
      • Melbourne

I recommend you put the rear wheels up on stands for this process and make sure the car is in 2WD.

Drop your transmission fluid and remove/replace the trans filter. There will be a you tube how to somewhere if you haven't done this bit before, but I recommend you buy a repair manual for your vehicle before starting work. Fill the gearbox until trans fluid starts to run back out of the filler hole. Disconnect the transmission cooler pipe that runs from the trans to the cooler. If in doubt about which is the inlet or outlet disconnect both pipes.

When working on my own I usually zip tie the fluid lines to a bracket or sway bar so the oil is directed into a tray to catch the oil that will come out when you start the car. If you don't zip tie the lines in place they will squirt everywhere when the transmission oil pressure builds up after start up. Make sure the oil lines won't foul the cooling fan on start up. You can spin the fan by hand before start up to check.

Start the engine and monitor the trans fluid colour as it comes out of the pipe. Reddish brown coloured trans fluid is the old oil coming out. When you see bright red trans fluid of coming out of the pipe turn the car off and reconnect the pipes that go into the trans cooler. Top up the transmission again. Start the engine and run the car through the gears whilst on the car stands. Don't go hard when doing this, you just need to cycle oil through the transmission again. Turn the engine off and check the trans fluid level again. Top up until fluid runs back out through the filler hole. Put the filler bung back in and you are in business.
      09 ML GLX-R 3.2L Manual. Bushskinz bash plates, 285/75x16 Kumho MT51 & 16x8 alloys, 3" exhaust, Dobinson MRR 2"lift, MCC Bar and Wheel Carrier, 12000lb ICM winch, Dual Batteries, Billet Turbo compressor upgrade, Brown and Davis LR tank.

Comment

• 85L200Express
        • Mar 2012
        • Tasmania

Thanks for the advice guys. I really appreciate it. It's a bit daunting. I've changed fluids in my turbo Subaru, but that's easy as with a dipstick and all.

Are there any washers/gaskets that need replacing when doing the fluids?

And how many litres do you normally go through when doing a flush? I've just purchased 12L, I'm assuming I'm going to need more?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X