• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jared01
    • Dec 2016
    • Sydney

What is your oil change frequency when doing some towing

Hello,

I would like to hear your feedback in regards to your oil change interval when towing with the Pajero sport and how many Kms do you wait until you get the oil changed.

I understand if doing a lot of heavy towing or 4wding/offroading, the oil change interval should be 7,500KMs instead of 15,000KMs.

I have had my new Pajero sport since March 2019.

It has 9,300Kms on it now.

Out of the above 9,300KMs, 2,000 of those KMs were towing our ~2.5t caravan over 5 trips.

Therefore I would like to ask a questions;

-Being new, should I change the oil now or wait until I hit 15,000KMs?
    -In your unique situation, how many mixed KMs do you do before you get the oil changed?
    -How much has it cost you to get an oil and filter change from Mitsubishi?

Thank you.
    2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel
  • JohnFromPerth
    • Mar 2018
    • Western Australia

I think you should initially change the oil and filter after 1000km from new.
    This gets rid of all the swarf and initial wearing in metal particles out of the engine.

Oil is cheap compared with a new engine so I would go for 7500km oil and filter changes regardless of operating conditions. Diesels tend to be dirty engines, so changing the oil frequently is good practice.

Oil dilution from the particle filter regeneration process is a real possibility so keep an eye on the dipstick level and change if it is higher than normal.

Don't let the dealership add on extra services such as an engine flush. Ask "is this recommended by Mitsubishi" and "will my warranty be affected if I decline".
    I notice my dealer wants to do an engine flush and wheel balance and align at every service.
    Nice earner for him.

Comment

• spot01
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

I think your oil & filter should have been done at 7,500 as I think 15,000 is too long even with no towing. I certainly wouldn't go past 10k. As mentioned, oil is relatively cheap and you don't want to risk any warranty issues.
      I expect a dealer would probably charge around $280 (low sulphur oil $130, filter $60, labour $90).
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• jared01
        • Dec 2016
        • Sydney

Got my oil change and was hard to pin down a price over the phone but was quoted $320.

Booked it in and they said $350, but I said I was told $320 so that is what I paid.

What have others paid for an oil and filter change at a Mitsubishi dealer?

That seems quite expensive to me.

If others are getting their local mechanic to do it, which oil are you using?

I need to find a cheaper location to get the oil changed every 7,500 kms.
        2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel

Comment

• Jasonmc73
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2019
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by jared01 View Post
          Got my oil change and was hard to pin down a price over the phone but was quoted $320.

Booked it in and they said $350, but I said I was told $320 so that is what I paid.

What have others paid for an oil and filter change at a Mitsubishi dealer?

That seems quite expensive to me.

If others are getting their local mechanic to do it, which oil are you using?

I need to find a cheaper location to get the oil changed every 7,500 kms.
          That's why I hate warranty periods
          Then they try & scare you too take it back to dealer only, part of the warranty con.

To do it yourself costs A bottle of oil & A filter, 30 to 45 minutes of your time.

Triton 2014 model I drive gets changed every 10,000K's.

Read your manual, choose an oil, buy your own oil & filter, find mechanic & he'll have no problems using your oil & filter.

Supercheap & all others run specials on oil, buy up then & save A quid. Use genuine oil & fuel filters whilst in warranty.

Opinion only
          Last edited by Jasonmc73; 25-11-19, 08:03 PM.
          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
            • Aug 2012
            • Brisbane, Southside

I had my oil changed at a local mechanic in Streaky Bay S.A. at 7500 km in the middle of a trip from QLD towing around S.A. Cost was about $170 which I thought was expensive as I didn’t want the filter changed.

Towing or not I’ll be changing oil at 7500 for the life of the vehicle. It’s just good practice IMO, synthetic oil or not.
            Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
            Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

• Jasonmc73
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2019
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by Greg Grey Grumbly View Post
              I had my oil changed at a local mechanic in Streaky Bay S.A. at 7500 km in the middle of a trip from QLD towing around S.A. Cost was about $170 which I thought was expensive as I didn’t want the filter changed.

Towing or not I’ll be changing oil at 7500 for the life of the vehicle. It’s just good practice IMO, synthetic oil or not.
              Nothing wrong with that line of thought either

Keep in mind though, synthetic oils used even grades recommended by manufacturers not synthetic, have also had some major improvements as far as additives go, detergents, dispersants, stabilisers.
              The fuels you are now using also have less sulphur & don't contaminate the oil so much as yester year either so I am told from A major wholesaler whom conduct oil samples.

DPF A Sump full of diesel keep eye out for that.

As an example only, Machinery & tractors I sell now is out too 400/ 500 hour service intervals, providing you use the correct oil specified. Use to be 250 hours.
              If you allowed 80k's per hour that is 400 hours x 80k's = 32,000k's intervals

My opinion on $170 for an oil change is thats fair & reasonable.
              1 hours labour minimum charge say $100 + $70 for oil INC GST = $170
              Last edited by Jasonmc73; 25-11-19, 08:48 PM.
              Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• sharkcaver
                "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                • May 2009
                • Perth

I would change it now. Then let it go a couple of 10K changes on the same oil and follow up with used oil analysis.

It's the only way you will know if your preferred oil is holding up or not. You may well be able to extend to 15K but without UOA, you will only be guessing. 10K is a safe bet to start on.

e-Monitor - a service provided by the Australian Laboratory Services -oils. From an analysis of oil information about the vehicles engine wear can be sought, available at stores around Australia and from our Brisbane, Sydney and Perth laboratories
                MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• ddeane
                  • Oct 2011
                  • ACT

I change the oil at the 7500 midpoint myself. To avoid any issues I get the dealer to provide me with a genuine filter and washer at the scheduled service. The drain is at the rear of the sump so if you run the car up on a couple of bricks (or in my case a ramp) you have heaps of room to slide under and remove the splash guards (no one can call them sump guards) and drain the oil and change the filter. Refill with 7.5 litres of oil. Be sure that you read the manual to understand the dip stick (this has been covered here and in the facebook forum)

Whole job should take less than an hour and cost about $70-90 for oil and $25 for filter and washer. Also be sure that you get the correct oil, that is correct grade and specification as you MUST use low ash oil for the dpf.

Or take it to your local mechanic. I would have problems paying any more than $200.

Comment

• JohnFromPerth
                    • Mar 2018
                    • Western Australia

Also remember that the PS has a steel sump plug screwed into an aluminium drain hole.
                    Don't swing too hard on the spanner when doing it up or you may strip the thread out of the aluminium drain hole.

Comment

• Lost1
                      • Dec 2013
                      • Melbourne

Use a synthetic long drain oil and you can maintain the 15,000km service intervals without damaging your engine. My preference is to use an oil that is suited for use in truck engines as a 4wd engine can work just as hard when towing or slogging away in low range.

I do reduce the service intervals for transmission and diff oils when operating in similar conditions from 45,000 km to 30,000 km.
                      09 ML GLX-R 3.2L Manual. Bushskinz bash plates, 285/75x16 Kumho MT51 & 16x8 alloys, 3" exhaust, Dobinson MRR 2"lift, MCC Bar and Wheel Carrier, 12000lb ICM winch, Dual Batteries, Billet Turbo compressor upgrade, Brown and Davis LR tank.

Comment

• wildwhitty
                        • Sep 2019
                        • AU

I reduced service intervals when towing with the Patrol because it was recommended in the owners manual. I haven't seen anything like that in the PS manual. So as long as the oil level doesn't creep up to high, nomal service intervals as recommended.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2019
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by wildwhitty View Post
                          I reduced service intervals when towing with the Patrol because it was recommended in the owners manual. I haven't seen anything like that in the PS manual. So as long as the oil level doesn't creep up to high, nomal service intervals as recommended.

That's interesting,

I drive A 2014 Triton & it is definately in their harsh conditions halve the intervals.

As I don't tow 24/7 done every 10,000k's.

My wives Mazda 3 book says 10,000k's, she drives mixed operation & she's no lead foot, I change it every 8000k's ish.

Too me it's common sense,

Example, if your driving highways yardstick 30 mintutes with engine at operating temps (boil off moisture) to 10 hour stints stock standard weights, great go to recommended absolutley.

If you drive short runs stop/ start, traffic idling & or large loads thats what I consider harsh conditions & pull back my inervals, depends how harsh I suppose.

DPF Adds another dimemsion to look out for, sumps full of diesel.

As someone mentioned only way you won't be guessing is oil sample.

Comment

• spot01
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2011
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by wildwhitty View Post

It should be in the manual to change oil & filter @ 7,500km if towing (one of the "severe conditions" specified).
                            Refer to MMAL website: https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au...nance-schedule
                            Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X