Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Has anyone come across these before.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sam.cath
    • Dec 2014
    • Sunshine Coast

Has anyone come across these before.....

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of these deep cycle batteries?
    I spoke to a shop in Brisbane who deals with these, Fullriver & Optima & he rates the Maxon batteries, said they sell thousands a year & have a handful of warranty issues.

They give a 2 year under-bonnet warranty, 100aHr & only $275.
    Link attached:

Welcome to Battery Central, your local battery supplier. No joining fee, annual fees or hassle! We supply, deliver, install and test all types of batteries

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts, as was going to go with an Optima otherwise for my dual battery setup.

Cheers,
    Sam
    2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Fuel Manager secondary fuel filter
  • sam.cath
    • Dec 2014
    • Sunshine Coast

attached this as well from the dealer....
    Attached Files
    2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

I haven't seen them before, and some of the specs look good.

Observations:

60 degrees max operating temperature looks good for under-bonnet applications.

Comes with M6 female threads for terminals. If you need posts, you'll need to buy some adaptors.

No CCA rating, max discharge (while high at 540A) is limited to 5 seconds only. Definitely not for use as a starter, think twice about trying to use it to "boost" a low cranking battery. In an emergency, I'm sure it would do the job, but it may shorten the battery's service life.

Low initial charge current, less than 22.5 A. Not suitable for direct charging from the alternator, limited to a 20A DC-DC charger. My BCDC 20 takes too long to top up my 85Ah AGM, a 100Ah will be worse.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• sam.cath
        • Dec 2014
        • Sunshine Coast

Thanks nj swb for your reply.
        Any chance you might be able to cast an eye over the following please?

Just spoke to someone in Brisbane about a Fullriver 105aHr deep cycle- also sounds very good.
        Around $400 to buy.

Have attached the stats as I don't know how to read them to be honest. I'm looking at a BCDC 1225D Redarc which I believe is a 25amp charger.. Would that do the job with this big Fullriver?

Attached is it's specs.

Appreciate your thoughts as have heard others speak highly of Fullriver batteries , even under-bonnet.

Cheers,
        Sam
        Attached Files
        Last edited by sam.cath; 26-11-19, 02:32 PM.
        2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Comment

• NTBenny
          • May 2017
          • Newcastle

I've just purchased a Fullriver DC105 ($368) and await it's arrival. I will be fitting it under bonnet although this is not ideal for any battery. I contacted Fullriver and the below is their response to under bonnet mounting. I will be building custom heat shielding for the battery as well.

"Our maximum operating temperature is 71C. As long as there is no direct heat and the alternator/charge source isn’t charging above 14.7, that should be suitable."

Regards,

Benny

2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by sam.cath View Post
            Thanks nj swb for your reply.
            Any chance you might be able to cast an eye over the following please?

Just spoke to someone in Brisbane about a Fullriver 105aHr deep cycle- also sounds very good.
            Around $400 to buy.

Have attached the stats as I don't know how to read them to be honest. I'm looking at a BCDC 1225D Redarc which I believe is a 25amp charger.. Would that do the job with this big Fullriver?

Attached is it's specs.

Appreciate your thoughts as have heard others speak highly of Fullriver batteries , even under-bonnet.

Cheers,
            Sam

For another $50 you will get the 120 amp hour Fullriver. One of the best agm batteries on the market. I used to charge mine with the Projecta 25 amp dc/dc till I bought the enerdrive 40amp dc/dc ready for lithium. The Redarc will do it comfortably....HOWEVER ..In my opinion you would be better off getting an enerdrive 40 amp dc/dc as it is also lithium capable. This will save you buying a lithium dc/dc further down the track. pROBABLY CHEAPER THAN THE REDARC ALSO.. Can be adjusted for 10,20,30, 40 and can also do 50 amps if required. Fullriver under the bonnet...I wouldn't do it. My supposed under bonnet agm lasted 16 months...SSB agm stop/start battery
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

Full River spec sheet includes a 40 degree ambient temperature limit for charging, so I don't know how a rep can state they're good up to 70 degrees. If there are other data sheets for them, it would be nice to see them.

Max charging current (according to the data sheets) for the DC105 is 25A, or 30A for the DC120. Direct charging from an alternator is still on the risky side, and a 40A DC-DC will also exceed manufacturer's recommendations.

The Full River DC105 has a much higher discharge capacity, and includes a CCA value, if this makes a difference for your intended application.

The Full River batteries have M8 threads for terminals.

Of the two, I'd say the Maxon has better specs for under-bonnet use, but Full River is currently a more recognisable name, and has a good reputation.

How does the Maxon vendor propose to limit the charging current, if at all? If they are proposing charging direct from the alternator and have no issues warranting that installation then ask how they would feel about a 25A or 40A DC-DC charger.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• sam.cath
                • Dec 2014
                • Sunshine Coast

Thanks to you all for your input.

Noticed the 40 degree temp max on the Fullriver, however had the same suggestion from the rep about under the bonnet being OK?!

Great price you've got it for Benny- can I ask where from please?

Might have another chat with the Fullriver people. Bit nervous about the Maxon having never heard of it.

Will check out the Enerdrive charger too Dick. I had an Yellowtop Optima under the bonnet in ou NT Pay & it never missed a beat even after 3 years, but was hoping for a bigger amp hour this time as the Optima was only 55aHr. It looks like their bigger Yellowtop D27F (66aHr) will fit too. But was excited about 105aHR Fullriver.

Hard to decide!!
                2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Comment

• NTBenny
                  • May 2017
                  • Newcastle

Sam,

Link to eBay seller below. Just wait for a 10% off sale.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FULLRIVER-105AH-AGM-BATTERY-DEEP-CYCLE-100AH-PERFORMANCE-4X4-CARAVAN-DC105-12/283176696624?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2060353.m2749.l2649

The below spec sheet states "temperature range specifications". Note the Pajero is fitted with temperature compensated charging.

Benny.
                  2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• sam.cath
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Sunshine Coast

Hi Benny,

Thank for this.
                    Very happy to hear about the Paj having temp compensating charging & therefore the Fullriver being OK to 71 degrees.

Would be interested to hear if you're happy with this spec sheet & explanation nt swb for the Fullriver?
                    Am leaning back towards the Fullriver again.

Thanks again.
                    Sam
                    2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Comment

• NTBenny
                      • May 2017
                      • Newcastle

Like I said mounting a battery under bonnet is not ideal due to the high temps but I have no room in the back of the car because of other items. In reality I don't use my second battery that often so what I've been thinking of doing is keeping it on the shelf in the garage and dropping it in when I need it for camping etc. Not having to lug 30kgs around in the engine bay is good too in my opinion. The less time my Fullriver spends under bonnet the better I think. If I need to jump my car due to the crank battery failing then I use my Noco jumper pack which I keep under the drivers seat.

When my Fullriver arrives I'm going to make a little jacket for it from aluminium/foam insulation. Hopefully this will also protect it when in the engine bay. I've been logging under bonnet temps from my battery location for the last 6months and have not seen greater than 66degC yet. This peak temp was on a recent trip to Cobar on a series of 37deg days. I've found the highest temps are when you actually stop driving, as you would expect. During this time my battery is not charging as I don't run a permanent solar panel.

Benny.

Comment

• Dicko1
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by NTBenny View Post
                        Like I said mounting a battery under bonnet is not ideal due to the high temps but I have no room in the back of the car because of other items. In reality I don't use my second battery that often so what I've been thinking of doing is keeping it on the shelf in the garage and dropping it in when I need it for camping etc. Not having to lug 30kgs around in the engine bay is good too in my opinion. The less time my Fullriver spends under bonnet the better I think. If I need to jump my car due to the crank battery failing then I use my Noco jumper pack which I keep under the drivers seat.

When my Fullriver arrives I'm going to make a little jacket for it from aluminium/foam insulation. Hopefully this will also protect it when in the engine bay. I've been logging under bonnet temps from my battery location for the last 6months and have not seen greater than 66degC yet. This peak temp was on a recent trip to Cobar on a series of 37deg days. I've found the highest temps are when you actually stop driving, as you would expect. During this time my battery is not charging as I don't run a permanent solar panel.

Benny.

Pull over and park for 30 mins and under bonnet temp will skyrocket AND STAY LIKE THAT FOR AGES....THIS KILLS BATTERIES. Why not put your battery in a box with the dc/dc mounted in it and a couple of plugs (anderson and merritt/cigarette, as reqd)...especially as you only use it a couple of times a year. You’ll double the life of your battery..
                        Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• NTBenny
                          • May 2017
                          • Newcastle

Dicko,

The 66deg was after being parked. Generally during driving I see on average about 45-50deg.

I also carry within the car a 100AH Odyssey PC2150MJT battery in an aluminium box I custom made.

Benny.

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by NTBenny View Post
                            Dicko,

The 66deg was after being parked. Generally during driving I see on average about 45-50deg.

I also carry within the car a 100AH Odyssey PC2150MJT battery in an aluminium box I custom made.

Benny.

No worries. Hopefully you,ll get good life from your agm...

Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Drewan
                              • Apr 2017
                              • Adelaide

Be interesting to see if it survives a the next few months. I have to do the Caravan and the car its gonna hurt so I want it to only hurt once
                              Over capitalized NK.I'm running out of things to add to it it died , now a SWB NJ with all the good stuff from the NK on it .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X