• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Ryan175 View Post
    Hi Blutak, I know its been a while but I've been trying to chase down whether my 1986 NC Paj has an LSD or not. My rear diff has the sticker on it saying to use only LSD oil with an LSD but does this actually mean it is an LSD or is it a warning put on all the paj diffs at that time? I had the rear wheels off the ground and when I spun one forwards the other went backwards so I assumed it wasn't an LSD but after reading your post I have hope again.
    Thanks,
    Ryan
    Did you have the transmission / gearbox in neutral? If the propshaft can't turn then the wheels have no choice but to turn in opposite directions.

To the best of my knowledge, Mitsubishi only put the stickers on LSDs - so I expect you have an LSD.

Please don't try the "drive off a jack" trick either - that's not a definitive "proof" either. My NJ couldn't "pass" this test, but its LSD worked well where it mattered.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Ryan175
      • Mar 2019
      • BRIGHTON EAST

Not sure if I did or not but I'll give it another go amd see what happens otherwise ill be following what you did to clean it out and get it going again. Is there a gasket available once I pull the back off or do I have to use a liquid gasket? Bit of a novice and only recently been getting into it.
      1986 LWB 2.6, 31" AT BFGs, winch, UHF, 52" light bar and spotties, rear light bar, roof rack, awning, 2 jerry cans just to get anywhere

Comment

• Blutak
        • Oct 2013
        • Bunbury WA

Sorry, haven't posted in ages!

Easiest way to see if your Paj has LSD is to chock the fronts, make sure the hubs are unlocked, jack up a rear wheel and turn it by hand.

If it is really easy to turn it, your diff is open. If you feel alot of resistance, it is LSD.

Beware, this does not work if your rear brakes are dragging.

The other is bringing both wheels off the ground
        If you turn one and the other goes the opposite way, you are open. Same way, you are LSD.
        Blutak is a 1990 NG EXE, 2.6, blue faded paint, 412 000 km, extractors, bump and droop stop shave, 100/130w globes in stock lights (inc melted plugs...), saggy springs, shocking shocks, crap tires, loose nut behind the wheel.
        Blutak, cos thats all that's holding her together. ..
        Now she has 485'000km, same everything with a 2.5' pipe, straight thru muffler and cat delete. Also a set of leaf springs from a 96 triton that gave me a $100 2 inch lift.

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Blutak View Post
          The other is bringing both wheels off the ground
          If you turn one and the other goes the opposite way, you are open. Same way, you are LSD.
          Possibly.

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
          If the propshaft can't turn then the wheels have no choice but to turn in opposite directions.
          For those browsing "New Posts", or having success with the search function, please note this is the Gen 1 forum, discussing clutch-type LSDs. Helical LSDs as used in late Gen 2 onwards behave differently, so the tests described here don't apply.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• old dave
            • Nov 2010
            • Adelaide

Nf lsd

Hi Blutac, good work..
            Your first statement about your old NF going down like the Titanic on both ends sums up the behaviour of my 1989 NF import... I would have thought it was LSD at the rear, as the diff housing is massive and nothing like my 1988 Shorty Turbo diesel...which has a conventional open wheeler.

The 89 is four speed auto with a coil rear end, drum brakes. The shorty has discs on the rear and again is coil.... ??

It's really annoying that as far as I can tell the rear is behaving like an open wheeler.... I have changed the diff oil a couple of times, once when I got it and again, 2 years ago when the right side axle seal let go... oil seemed Ok apart from it being 500mls down at the first change.. I used Castrol LSD oil..

There is no label on the diff... but shouldn't it mention it on the build tag under the bonnet ? otherwise how do you tell ?
            Being an import the NF it is a little different like having 4 speed auto a year earlier than domestic models and no oil cooler..

Old Dave
            12/88 NF SWB Turbo Diesel
            7/89 NG Super Exceed V6

Comment

• TomW
              • Mar 2017
              • Melbourne

My 1990 NG has a sticker on the drivers door but not sure if this is consistent between models. Pajero LSD

Comment

• Blutak
                • Oct 2013
                • Bunbury WA

Originally posted by old dave View Post
                Hi Blutac, good work..
                Your first statement about your old NF going down like the Titanic on both ends sums up the behaviour of my 1989 NF import... I would have thought it was LSD at the rear, as the diff housing is massive and nothing like my 1988 Shorty Turbo diesel...which has a conventional open wheeler.

The 89 is four speed auto with a coil rear end, drum brakes. The shorty has discs on the rear and again is coil.... ??

It's really annoying that as far as I can tell the rear is behaving like an open wheeler.... I have changed the diff oil a couple of times, once when I got it and again, 2 years ago when the right side axle seal let go... oil seemed Ok apart from it being 500mls down at the first change.. I used Castrol LSD oil..

There is no label on the diff... but shouldn't it mention it on the build tag under the bonnet ? otherwise how do you tell ?
                Being an import the NF it is a little different like having 4 speed auto a year earlier than domestic models and no oil cooler..

Old Dave
                If it's behaving like an open diff all the time, it probably is one. Or the clutch packs are worn out. You may be able to call a Mitsubishi dealer and give them the VIN and they can probably tell you if it has a LSD or not.
                Blutak is a 1990 NG EXE, 2.6, blue faded paint, 412 000 km, extractors, bump and droop stop shave, 100/130w globes in stock lights (inc melted plugs...), saggy springs, shocking shocks, crap tires, loose nut behind the wheel.
                Blutak, cos thats all that's holding her together. ..
                Now she has 485'000km, same everything with a 2.5' pipe, straight thru muffler and cat delete. Also a set of leaf springs from a 96 triton that gave me a $100 2 inch lift.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X