• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AJC
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • ACT

Pickle said the LU worked well on his petrol 4 spd Challenger for improved engine braking - see this thread or his Challenger thread.

Reduction gears - very exxy - see http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...eduction+gears

and

but if you have the coi and High Country need, well worth it.
    Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!

Comment

• 4ePikanini
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2009
      • South Africa, East London

I made my own kit after scouring through the wiring diagrams and manuals.

I have gone one better though......I think......

I have been feeling uneasy about that resistor generating a fair amount of heat when the ecu allows 12volt through it. Essentially the ecu acts as ground so if it normally would lock up 12volt will pass through the resistor.

To combat that i have added another relay that will bypass my wiring and render the gearbox in stock form when the ecu wants to use lockup. So essentially when my switch is on and the ecu wants lockup it locks through it's own process but as soon as it unlocks my relays kick in and keeps it locked up.

With the switch off the gearbox wiring is essentially stock.

So the resisitor essentially will never see 12volt but for the split second in relays switching power around. In this method i dont know if the relay is crucial but im leaving it there to avoid the ecu maybe throwing a code.

Taking another test drive today i can clearly see how the slippage in the box wastes fuel. This mod will definitely save me on fuel economy. I will almost put a wager on it.
      1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
      2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
      2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
      2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• bmurray2250
        • Jan 2011
        • Brisbane

The PA Challenger (Pre 2001) with the Aisin Warner transmission A340F is now available. I have installed one and done some testing on it. Still need to give a good test.

Comment

• dirtypaj
          • Mar 2011
          • toowoomba

Originally posted by bmurray2250 View Post
          The PA Challenger (Pre 2001) with the Aisin Warner transmission A340F is now available. I have installed one and done some testing on it. Still need to give a good test.
          This will work with the pajero a340f also?
          nl gls ute, custom barwork, soon to be either turbo 6g74 or ls1

Comment

• bmurray2250
            • Jan 2011
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by dirtypaj View Post
            This will work with the pajero a340f also?
            Yes

Comment

• Peekaym
              • Apr 2013
              • Cairns

ECU throwing codes

We had a Wholesale Auto lock up switch installed a month ago. Currently towing a van to WA and were hugely impressed by lower revs and fuel consumption.However 30 mins into the drive 2 days ago, engine warning light and N light started flashing. Nothing apparently wrong with performance so switched lock up off and continued carefully to next town with warning lights still flashing. No diagnostic readers available and nearest dealer 260km and 1 weeks wait away. Located a good 4WD mechanic in next town so left van behind and drove there. Left lock up off and no warning lights appeared. He ran diagnostic which indicated "torque converter clutch / pressure control solenoid / range performance problem". Gear box oil not discoloured and Lock Up switch functioning correctly. Consensus is that the ECU detected readings outside normal parameters and warned of possible problem. Drove Pajero back to van no problem. Waiting to discuss further with Wholesale Automatics. Anyone else experience this? Not sure whether to risk continuing without using lock up,wait for Mitsubishi Motors to check Paj out next week, or limp home like whipped dogs. Interesting comment re need for second relay.

Comment

• pauld
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2010
                • Melbourne

Which model Pajero?
                Sounds to me like the Wholesale kit needs a tweak, the fault sounds like the kit is giving incorrect feedback / voltage level to ECU.
                You would need to change a part in the kit to correct, if they can ship to you on the road and you can fit then great.
                I would continue on holiday without using kit until adjusted, use 4th for towing.
                Don't go near MM Dealer.
                The 2nd relay is interesting but not needed.
                All the best.
                2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• Peekaym
                  • Apr 2013
                  • Cairns

Thanks pauld. The local mechanic/auto elec came to much the same conclusion. He has checked the installation, tested wiring, relays etc. and all okay, but engine warning lights came on again on test drive. Seems we might have a faulty unit and while Wholesale Automatics have done all they can to advise, we've already lost a week of our holidays and incurred additional expenses trying to rectify. We've decided to proceed without it and get it tweaked or replaced when we get home. Moral of the story is to test these things thoroughly before heading off into the wilderness!

Comment

• Peekaym
                    • Apr 2013
                    • Cairns

By the way,ours is an NT Pajero and sadly, the fuel consumption doubles when we're towing our 14' van. For the brief period we used the lock up, consumption dropped approx 4L to the 100km.

Comment

• Paj People 2009
                      Valued Member
                      • Oct 2009
                      • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

Originally posted by Peekaym View Post
                      By the way,ours is an NT Pajero and sadly, the fuel consumption doubles when we're towing our 14' van. For the brief period we used the lock up, consumption dropped approx 4L to the 100km.

Ouch!

What speed are you towing the van?

I'd get a chip!

We get 16 LPH towing a 2500kg van at 95kph and approx 10 LPH around town (going quicker, of course 100-110kph).

We've got a DP and getting a new exhaust on the 5th July.

Cheers,
                      Sally
                      SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

• 4ePikanini
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2009

I suspect the resistor they use is a dud on the kit.
                        2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• johndickson
                          • Oct 2013
                          • Brisbane

lock up kit

Can someone PM me the wiring for this, so I can test my convertor..
                          Please?

Comment

• 4ePikanini
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by johndickson View Post
                            Can someone PM me the wiring for this, so I can test my convertor..
                            Please?
                            The wiring is kept secret by those that figured it out due to intellectual property and to protect the commercial members on the forum.

If you want it PM me an offer on my wiring diagram with instruction etc etc. I tried to make and sell them here in South Africa but the market is too small.
                            2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• Ando
                              • Mar 2011
                              • Mitcham

Originally posted by Peekaym View Post
                              We had a Wholesale Auto lock up switch installed a month ago. Currently towing a van to WA and were hugely impressed by lower revs and fuel consumption.However 30 mins into the drive 2 days ago, engine warning light and N light started flashing. Nothing apparently wrong with performance so switched lock up off and continued carefully to next town with warning lights still flashing. No diagnostic readers available and nearest dealer 260km and 1 weeks wait away. Located a good 4WD mechanic in next town so left van behind and drove there. Left lock up off and no warning lights appeared. He ran diagnostic which indicated "torque converter clutch / pressure control solenoid / range performance problem". Gear box oil not discoloured and Lock Up switch functioning correctly. Consensus is that the ECU detected readings outside normal parameters and warned of possible problem. Drove Pajero back to van no problem. Waiting to discuss further with Wholesale Automatics. Anyone else experience this? Not sure whether to risk continuing without using lock up,wait for Mitsubishi Motors to check Paj out next week, or limp home like whipped dogs. Interesting comment re need for second relay.
                              I had the same problem with my NP towing a 2100kg van around oz. had been using the Wholesale TC Lockup kit when towing at high speed - great for improving fuel economy over long distances.

However halfway between Broome and Port Hedland had car crap out and go into limp mode, and had to get towed 200km back to Broome. Fault code was 'TC Solenoid Open Circuit' - cost $1900 to fix, new TC solenoid, 2 speed sensors - got absolutely reamed by mechanics in Broome charging more per hour than a hooker.

I have now disconnected the TC lockup kit and am reluctant to hook it up again, at leat while travelling remotely. IMO the Wholesale Autos TC lockup switch kicks in the lockup suddenly, whereas the factory lockup comes in gradually. Whether this lead to premature failure of the TC solenoid dont know, but im a bit 'once bitten twice shy', and probably wont rehook the lockup kit on this trip.
                              Ando

2006 NP VRX 3.8L Auto, Dual Fuel, ARB winch bar, VRS 9500lb winch, 2" lift on HD Lovells/Bilsteins, BFG A/Ts, Wholesale Auto torque convertor lockup kit, Custom Bash Plates, Milford barrier, Pioneer alloy roof tray, GME TX3340 UHF, SONY 7" Android Auto head unit, Dual battery with Redarc BCDC1220

Comment

• 4ePikanini
                                Valued Member
                                • Dec 2009

those faults are due to failed relays or the wrong/failed resistor in the kit.

I used mine (self made DIY though so not sure if it's the same as wholesale's kit) for a long time without hassles.
                                2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X