X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill13
    • Apr 2010
    • Kingaroy. Qld

I have been having the same trouble with the flashing centre diff lights but now have it fixed.
    I checked all of the vacuum hoses and all seemed good, removed the air filter box and disconnected the power from them and then applied 12volt power independently to each solenoid. Both clicked as they should when working.
    As I had previously inquired at Ashdown Ingram about the price of two new solenoid, which were $25 each with $5 postage, I decided to order two anyway as the price was right. I fitted one in exchange of the original blue solenoid and the lights stopped flashing and 3 days later and 2 hundred klms approx It has not come back on.
    This blue solenoid had clicked when tested so I don't know why it did not work but for the price of $55 it was worth it in my case.
    Old age and cunning will over come youth and enthusiasm

Comment

• Perri
      • Jun 2017
      • Melbourne

Originally posted by Bill13 View Post
      I have been having the same trouble with the flashing centre diff lights but now have it fixed.
      I checked all of the vacuum hoses and all seemed good, removed the air filter box and disconnected the power from them and then applied 12volt power independently to each solenoid. Both clicked as they should when working.
      As I had previously inquired at Ashdown Ingram about the price of two new solenoid, which were $25 each with $5 postage, I decided to order two anyway as the price was right. I fitted one in exchange of the original blue solenoid and the lights stopped flashing and 3 days later and 2 hundred klms approx It has not come back on.
      This blue solenoid had clicked when tested so I don't know why it did not work but for the price of $55 it was worth it in my case.
      Do you have a web link for this $25 part please .

Comment

• misspat
        • Jan 2018
        • tamworth

i have no vacum when going into 4wd centre diff flashing is this normal

Comment

• 1533rl
          • Jun 2007
          • armadale wa

Centre Diff Lock light flashing

Just adding to this old thread with pics.
          Had a slight problem getting out of 4WH on a trip on Saturday before Easter, would not disengage on the run no matter what I did, so stopped and had to put car into neutral and moved transmission lever all the way up to 4WLL and back again and it moved back to 2WD for the drive home. No problems with transmission lever over the next few days. The following Wednesday just moved the car in the drive way to finish packing for an Easter trip and thought I would exercise the transmission again and POW !!! No green wheel lights and the orange centre diff light flashing, no undue noises or clunks and car appeared to be in 2wd and drivable but no chance of getting the problem fixed before Easter so cancelled trip and started research on this forum.
          Figured I would start with the Front Diff Solenoid Freewheel Valve, and checked with local mitsi dealer for the part and was advised no part in WA so about 5 days ex east and then was given price of $371.94. With research on this forum there was no way I was going to pay that ! Ordered one eBay ex Sydney at $35 with express freight for $15. Not the cheapest one but the only one that offered express delivery. Ordered pm Friday and delivered Wed after Easter and then fitted , everything now working as it should so will keep an eye on it to see if any of the other parts of that system play up. Only physical difference appears to be a small mitsi logo embossed on the top of one solenoid and I know the cheaper part is not manufactured to NASA standards but the NP is getting on a bit now and does not necessarily appreciate high end spares.
          Have ordered another eBay spare for $17 and will check it out against original when it arrives in a couple of months.
          Pic 1 shows position of the part with air box removed. I have a snorkel (at least the car does) and my arms are not flexible enough to double around the inlet to the air box. Pic 2 shows position of bolts holding solenoids to panel . With no snorkel part is easily accessible.
          One thing of note was the connection sleeve for the plastic inlet from snorkel to the air box had come loose (in pic 3) and I had not previously noticed. It is devilishly tucked behind the water bottle mount. So for how long had I been sucking my air from inside the engine bay instead of the snorkel header !!! Something else to add to my engine bay checklist.
          Thanks forumites for a great reference library.
          Cheers
          Peter
          Attached Files

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

DO you have a link to the ebay supplier?

Comment

• 1533rl
              • Jun 2007
              • armadale wa

Centre diff lock light flashing

Originally posted by erad View Post
              DO you have a link to the ebay supplier?
              Which one, aussie based or china ?

Lots of suppliers: try search for "front diff solenoid valve for 90 - 06 pajero" and you'll get a long list on eBay. Part number MB620532 and K5T47776

Cheers
              Peter

Comment

• puppy
                • Jul 2011
                • NSW

so paj got ill with the centre flashing orange light.
                all the time, engine running or not.
                installed a new vacuum solenoid from fleabay $35 all fixed. well havent tested the 17 minute dropout but all good for short trips so far.

anyways.
                thought id post because examination of old solenoid revealed air leak from blanked off pipe on yellow dot solenoid. there is a little black plastic cover that just slides off the short pipe, and mine wasnt sealing.

- pup

Comment

• The Last Streetfighter
                  • Jul 2007
                  • BrisVegas

HI All

I am fighting with this one.
                  I get the CDL lamp on and CEL flashing, when near a stop, but OK when driving.
                  I pulled the solenoids off and there was vacuum on one of the hoses on removal.
                  Then I pulsed the solenoids with 12V while off the car and both clicked OK.

Any thoughts?

I guess I could still buy a new pack and see how they go...
                  Current ride. EP91 Starlet Auto
                  Missus car: 2005 Platinum DiD Auto, H/R Towbar, Rhino Sportz Aero Bars, Redarc Isolator, Elec Brake Controller. 2" Lift and LT Tyres.

Comment

• Universal1
                    • Apr 2010
                    • Melbourne

Hi Guys,

I've got a similar issue on a 2007 NS, yellow centre diff light is flashing but the difference is that the airbag warning light is on as well and reverse lights don't work. Have found that the 7.5A reverse light fuse was blown, keeps blowing if I replace it. Cannot engage 4wd etc because of it, car drives okay in 2HWY which is where it was when error occurred.

This happened last December, was pulled over on side of road and when restarted car the light came on. Thought a branch or something may have dislodged wires on the underside but all seemed okay. There are some wires near the diff centre (stupid design for a 4WD) that plug into each other, back in the summer I disconnected and cleaned them up with some WD40, replaced the fuse and it actually worked for a couple of weeks. But then the fuse blew again and same story, tried the same method with wiring but it doesn't work now.

If anyone that knows their way around an NS can help me with this that would be great. I'm located in Burwood and am happy to bring car to you and pay for your time etc.

Thanks!

Comment

• erad
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Cooma NSW

Not an NS, but with my manual transmission NL I had the reversing light switch short to earth somewhere and blew the fuse. This then brought up the SRS warning light. Initially I bypassed the reversing light switch, turning the rear lights on manually when required, but eventually I saw a Youtube clip on how to change the reversing light switch, so I bought a replacement switch (quite cheap from memory) and replaced the switch. No more problems. From memory, the reversing light switch is on the left side of the gearbox. Google youtube Pajero Reversing light switch and see what comes up.

Do you have different manufacturer / sized tyres on the front and back axles? With my NW manual transmission Pajero, I had the flashing CD light come up whenever I towed my caravan in 4WD. I had OEM tyres on the front and 2 replacement Hankook A/T tyres on the rear - all nominally the same size. When I fitted 2 new Hankooks to the front axle, no more CD light flashing problems and the beast goes in and out of 4WD very quickly and reliably now. Also, there are codes stored in the ECU somewhere telling me that I have irregular sized tyres,. The dealer could not fins any codes, but when I bought an iCarfsoft diagnostic tester, it found this code (and a few others) but cannot clear this specific code. I have no flashing lights coming up on the dashboard so I assume all is OK now.
                      Last edited by erad; 24-10-18, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• Universal1
                        • Apr 2010
                        • Melbourne

Finally pulled my finger out and went to a sparky because I couldn't resolve this issue, turned out to be 2 faulty gearbox switches which are located high up on the gearbox. Apparently they have something to do with selecting various 4WD settings, however, we've bypassed the switches because Mitsubishi are out of stock and everything seems to be working without the switches connected and no more flashing light.

Anyway, once the switches are back in stock I'll be replacing them and won't be using 4WD in the meantime.

Originally posted by erad View Post
                        Not an NS, but with my manual transmission NL I had the reversing light switch short to earth somewhere and blew the fuse. This then brought up the SRS warning light. Initially I bypassed the reversing light switch, turning the rear lights on manually when required, but eventually I saw a Youtube clip on how to change the reversing light switch, so I bought a replacement switch (quite cheap from memory) and replaced the switch. No more problems. From memory, the reversing light switch is on the left side of the gearbox. Google youtube Pajero Reversing light switch and see what comes up.

Do you have different manufacturer / sized tyres on the front and back axles? With my NW manual transmission Pajero, I had the flashing CD light come up whenever I towed my caravan in 4WD. I had OEM tyres on the front and 2 replacement Hankook A/T tyres on the rear - all nominally the same size. When I fitted 2 new Hankooks to the front axle, no more CD light flashing problems and the beast goes in and out of 4WD very quickly and reliably now. Also, there are codes stored in the ECU somewhere telling me that I have irregular sized tyres,. The dealer could not fins any codes, but when I bought an iCarfsoft diagnostic tester, it found this code (and a few others) but cannot clear this specific code. I have no flashing lights coming up on the dashboard so I assume all is OK now.

Thanks for your response!
                        Had a look on youtube but couldn't find anything on an NS but there were some on older models, gave me an idea on what to look for. However, I couldn't find anything on the gearbox that resembled the switches I saw on youtube etc, maybe it's located on the above side of the gearbox? If it is I'm not able to get to it.

The tyres on the NS are just BF Goodridge All-Terrain's, have used the same type since we've owned the car (9 years) so I doubt that would be the issue.

The paj was at a dealership a few months ago for an airbag recall, I asked them to have a quick look for me but of course when I picked it up they said they would need it for 1-2 days to put on their diagnostic equipment to find the issue...with hefty fees to follow of course...
                        Last edited by Universal1; 13-11-19, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• BrodieDella
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Darlington

Hey All,
                          I know this is an old thread and just wanted some thoughts really. I've done so much research it isn't funny but I can't understand it.
                          Vacuum lines and solenoids all working. Potentially switches are the issue however, the 4wd system is working AOK. I had it on the beach and the car ran perfect. Clicked into low range and out of low range fine.
                          Going down highway though after 20 mins, cd light comes on and stays on. Switching through the drive modes no longer works.
                          Solenoids changed and new. Front diff actuator changed and new.

Weird problem and just wanting advice. Been at Mitsu 3x for nearly $2k and problem persists.

Cheers all

Comment

• erad
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2015
                            • Cooma NSW

I had this problem with my NW. The dealer "could not find any faults" with the system. Eventually, I think I found the answer.

I had worn 2 rear tyres on one caravan trip. I had asked for a local tyre place to do a wheel alignment before I left because I felt that the steering was too heavy. I asked for a 4 wheel alignment. All they did, I think, was to pump up the front tyres. Enough said - Grrrrr. Anyway, the 2 rear tyres wore out to the point where I needed to replace them. I had the original Bridgestone highway pattern tyres on and wanted some AT tyres, so I bought 2 new Hankook AT tyres. Then, when I tried using 4WD whilst towing, the CD light would come on flashing and all others go out. Stop, restart the engine and after 15 km or so it would come back on.

Meanwhile, I bought a ICarSoft HNM II scanner thingy, which it is claimed can read all codes and clear them as well. Naturally I scanned the Pajero for codes and found a few, including a transfer case fault which was listed as uneven tyre size. My new Hankooks were the same nominal size as the original Bridgestones, but obviously they have a slightly different rolling radius. My new scanner could not clear the codes so I took the car down to the dealer again (with the new scanner) and he found the code this time (and a few others including low voltage, which his Mitsubishi scanner could not clear either). He cleared the codes for me. Subsequent trips with the caravan have been in 4WD all the time whilst towing and the CD light has not come up at all. Also, the change into and out of 4WD used to take a while, now it is almost instant. So I can only assume that the ECU which controls the transfer case and other things eg ESC etc must be fairly sensitive, and will bring up a code and the CD light.

Comment

• nj swb
                              Resident
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Adelaide

I believe erad's message is to check your tyres, specifically, look for differences. Are they all the same size / brand / model / state of wear / inflation? If the ecu thinks front & rear drive shafts are turning at sufficiently different speeds it can cause the lights to behave as you describe.
                              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• hinsch
                                Valued Member
                                • Jan 2010
                                • Perth

Had the same a very small hole in one of the vacumn hose on the front diff actuator, came on about 30km into my daily drive, take the bash plates off there is an actuator on the front diff with two rubber hoses, I used retic hose works a treat
                                NX 2016 GLS, Graphite, Nudge Bar, Pirelli Scorpion Plus.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X