Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Triton

Triton Covering all models.

Old 2 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by DibbyDibbyDJ View Post
There is nothing hard about doing them, its just the OTHER items that can cause issues. The injector washers must be changed, and the sealing area meticulously cleaned. The injector washer must be replaced and the injectors must be torqued with new washers under the bolts as well.

The procedure for tightening is quite specific, and if they are not sure they must get the right information.

Dealers are seeing cars brought back with coolant leaks after the injectors have been tightened incorrectly by garages outside the Franchise network. Incorrect procedures are causing cracks in the cylinder head water jackets.

It would be advised to get a dealer to do the tappets IMHO. At least you have MMAL backing if they screw it up
Injectors don't come out so no need to replace injector washers, or disturb tension of injector retaining bolts.

Valve adjustment is no more difficult than any other '"old fashioned" diesel with rocker arm type adjustable valve mechanism that was used before bucket/shim type valve activation became popular in '80s and '90s.

Consumers have just been spiolt with hydraulic lash adjusters common in light vehicle petrol engines.

3.2L dohc 4M41 valve adjustment is a hell of a lot easier that the shim adjustment of the 2.8L sohc 4M40.

Biggest risk is leaking injector fuel line to injector connection due to any leaks being into rocker cover and not being able to be seen. But these injector lines are the same style as diesels have been using forever, so the operation of reconnection isn't difficult, just can't visually see the results if you don't get it right.

I would hope any reputable non Mitsubishi dealer workshop would be following factory service schedules. If not, I would not call them reputable. Only exception would be someones ol'dunger XF Falcon or similar with no service history and owner just wants oil 'n filter and safety check.
Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.
Old 1 Day Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharb View Post
Injectors don't come out so no need to replace injector washers, or disturb tension of injector retaining bolts.

Valve adjustment is no more difficult than any other '"old fashioned" diesel with rocker arm type adjustable valve mechanism that was used before bucket/shim type valve activation became popular in '80s and '90s.

Consumers have just been spiolt with hydraulic lash adjusters common in light vehicle petrol engines.

3.2L dohc 4M41 valve adjustment is a hell of a lot easier that the shim adjustment of the 2.8L sohc 4M40.

Biggest risk is leaking injector fuel line to injector connection due to any leaks being into rocker cover and not being able to be seen. But these injector lines are the same style as diesels have been using forever, so the operation of reconnection isn't difficult, just can't visually see the results if you don't get it right.

I would hope any reputable non Mitsubishi dealer workshop would be following factory service schedules. If not, I would not call them reputable. Only exception would be someones ol'dunger XF Falcon or similar with no service history and owner just wants oil 'n filter and safety check.

If you read my post and who i quoted, we are talking MQ here Not MN.

On an MQ , all the steps I mentioned are required.
Old 1 Day Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by DibbyDibbyDJ View Post
If you read my post and who i quoted, we are talking MQ here Not MN.

On an MQ , all the steps I mentioned are required.

Whoops.

I actually thought I was responding to a thread on valve adjustments for Pajeros, not Tritons, MQs or MNs.

That will learn me for not looking at the full thread title when just checking "new posts".

Do you really have to pull injectors to adjust valve clearances on an MQ

Injector removal/refit should still be a straight forward job for a reputable mechanic.
Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.
Old 1 Day Ago

it is easy , but the procedure for refitting is important, and sadly not always adhered to.
Old 1 Day Ago
Valued Member

Does pulling the injectors also apply to the Sport?
Old 20 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
Does pulling the injectors also apply to the Sport?
Yes same engine as MQ. It does take less time than MN Or Pajero to do, and coupled with every 60000kms interval works out cheaper.