• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bru9
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Victoria

Anyone got a winch without a Bullbar?

Not sure if such a setup on a Gen 3 NM is possible? What does a bulbar offer? I don't see the need for one & just want a winch for getting unstuck. Isn't a bulbar just for protecting you front body from animals & trees?
    2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5
  • m_and_m
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2010
    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Bbar is also good for mounting accessories like spotties, lightbars, antennaes, sand flags etc.

The frontal protection is the primary purpose, so it depends on where you're taking the 4by.

It protects not only occupants, but also critical components like the radiator.
    Hit a roo in middle of nowhere....bad news.

Once you take off the plastic bumper you realise how flimsy it is. Good for nothing except cosmetics actually.
    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
    2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2014
      • Wellington,New Zealand

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
      Bbar is also good for mounting accessories like spotties, lightbars, antennaes, sand flags etc.

The frontal protection is the primary purpose, so it depends on where you're taking the 4by.

It protects not only occupants, but also critical components like the radiator.
      Hit a roo in middle of nowhere....bad news.

Once you take off the plastic bumper you realise how flimsy it is. Good for nothing except cosmetics actually.
      you are completely wrong.The bull bar does absolutely nothing to protect the occupants.If anything it will make the consequences of a severe impact worse.The design of the Pajero will be a very complex model of a collapsing structure to absorb as much energy as possible.A bull bar can not add anything to that performance,it must detract from it imho.
      The flimsy plastic bumper is just that a decorative peice of plastic to make the front look good.It has no part to play in the prevention of injury to the occupants of a pajero,maybe some small attempt to prevent injuries to a cyclist or pedestrian the Pajero runs into.
      The bull bar is to prevent damage to the radiator etc .I am not sure that it would do anything of consequence if you collided with a full sized bull.A full sized bull could weight 1000kg.So its like you have collided with a small car.
      2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
      BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Scouter1
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2013
        • Sydney NSW

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
        you are completely wrong.The bull bar does absolutely nothing to protect the occupants.
        Depends on what type of bullbar you have fitted:

Cheers,
        Stephen
        2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• Kumabear
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2013
          • Sydney, Macarther Region

The only problem is... without sugar coating it.

They look gross idk if i can get past how bad they look when compared to a nice steel bar.
          2011 MY12 NW Pajero GL (White)

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:

Comment

• TheTaipan
            Banned
            • Jan 2009
            • sydney

Originally posted by Kumabear View Post
            The only problem is... without sugar coating it.

They look gross idk if i can get past how bad they look when compared to a nice steel bar.

Practical versus looking nice!

I go for practical every time.

Comment

• Toddyh
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2013
              • Lalor Park, NSW

Originally posted by TheTaipan View Post
              Practical versus looking nice!

I go for practical every time.
              I'm the same normally. I saw a stick go straight trough a gap in a smart bar and puncture radiator among other things. On closer inspection the things have huge gaps everywhere and would not be what I call practical. Sure if you never go bush but otherwise no thanks.
              Also I've already hit a couple of roos and my steel bar has saved damage both times. Without that bar I'd be stranded. If that's not looking after the safety of the occupants I don't know what is.
              2010 PB LS- ARB Bull Bar, Runva 11XP winch, Cooper ST Maxx 265/70/17, Ultimate suspension lift, Bushskinz plates, Kaymar rear bar with single wheel carrier.

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Bru9 View Post
                Not sure if such a setup on a Gen 3 NM is possible? What does a bulbar offer? I don't see the need for one & just want a winch for getting unstuck. Isn't a bulbar just for protecting you front body from animals & trees?
                Your options maybe limited due to the age of your Pajero for either a bulbar, winch bar or winch mount.

Winch mounts are popular overseas, Wolf 4x4, AFN & Asfir all make them but they cost about $1000 without the winch.

Winch bars, you could use a "rhino bar" or an ARB Sahara bar without the centre tube are possibilities.

Bullbar, steel, alloy, plastic? once again I am not sure what is available to suit an older Pajero.

Vehicle mounted winches are a fair investment, bar+winch+2nd battery+front spring and shocker upgrade!

Do you really need a vehicle mounted winch?
                Is a hand Tirfor winch more vestitile for what you want to do?
                Will a set or two of recovery tracks do the same or even a better job?

I have had and used all 3 options, on my latest vehicle I have chossen 2 sets of recovery tracks over a power winch and that was after 30 years of 4wd ownership with a power winch.

cheers, old Jack.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Bru9
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2014
                  • Victoria

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                  Your options maybe limited due to the age of your Pajero for either a bulbar, winch bar or winch mount.

Winch mounts are popular overseas, Wolf 4x4, AFN & Asfir all make them but they cost about $1000 without the winch.

Winch bars, you could use a "rhino bar" or an ARB Sahara bar without the centre tube are possibilities.

Bullbar, steel, alloy, plastic? once again I am not sure what is available to suit an older Pajero.

Vehicle mounted winches are a fair investment, bar+winch+2nd battery+front spring and shocker upgrade!

Do you really need a vehicle mounted winch?
                  Is a hand Tirfor winch more vestitile for what you want to do?
                  Will a set or two of recovery tracks do the same or even a better job?

I have had and used all 3 options, on my latest vehicle I have chossen 2 sets of recovery tracks over a power winch and that was after 30 years of 4wd ownership with a power winch.

cheers, old Jack.
                  I will consider all that thanks. About the second battery. Are they usually two smaller ones under bonnet or the second one some where else? I can only fit a 12" single in the space I have. Just curious.
                  2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5

Comment

• TheTaipan
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2009
                    • sydney

Er, Toddyh.

I have a Smart Bar.

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011
                      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Bru9 View Post
                      I will consider all that thanks. About the second battery. Are they usually two smaller ones under bonnet or the second one some where else? I can only fit a 12" single in the space I have. Just curious.
                      Winching can put a huge load on both your alternator and battery so if you want to be able to winch without the engine running then you need plenty of battery capacity. Unfortunately most modern winches are high speed and therefore are high amperage, most use 400amps at full load so a standard N70 battery will run out of steam quickly even with a 90/100 amp alternator working flat out.

cheers, old Jack.
                      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Dicko1
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Cairns, FNQ

I,m with Old Jack on this one. I decided against getting a winch on the Paj. Had em on every other 4wd I,ve owned but decided not to get one. Didn't want a second battery under the bonnet and at the end of the day a winch is not used often and mostly used to pull other people out of strife.
                        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• TheTaipan
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2009
                          • sydney

Heaps of reading here.

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

Comment

• m_and_m
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2010
                            • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
                            you are completely wrong.The bull bar does absolutely nothing to protect the occupants.If anything it will make the consequences of a severe impact worse.
                            Gees... Tell me what you really think! them is fighting words

So KiwiNTPajero, do you actually feel LESS safe with a BBar on the front of your paj, or MORE safe?

How do others feel? I sure as hell like having it there.
                            2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                            2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                            Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Fritterbug
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2013
                              • Brisbane

No idea on Pajeros but on Land Rover Discovery you can get winch cradles that go behind the bumper so you get a winch without any sort of bar at all.

Like this one on a D3/4
                              MY14 Pajero VRX

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X