• Mundy55
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2015
    • Gold Coast

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
    Agreed 100% Dicko. My guesstimate would be:
    Battery $200
    Isolator $150
    If you want a decent deep cycle battery of around 100Ahr then it will be much more than $200. Similarly, a controller for smart alternators with, say, solar input and selectable battery type will also be much more than $150.

Otherwise I agree.

Comment

• rabbo
      • Mar 2017
      • wauchope

He's actually going to Townsville shortly I think for 3 weeks...

Comment

• sharkcaver
        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
        • May 2009
        • Perth

Originally posted by Mundy55 View Post
        If you want a decent deep cycle battery of around 100Ahr then it will be much more than $200. Similarly, a controller for smart alternators with, say, solar input and selectable battery type will also be much more than $150.

Otherwise I agree.
        That all depends on what you buy. A fullriver 100AGm is in the vicinity of $400, yes. I got an SSB 105, delivered to the door via ebay from ADL for $200. So it can be done. All depends on what you consider "decent"

A VSR isolator can be had for well under $150. A DC/DC charger like you mention above, maybe not. However the IDC25 should be able to be had for sub $250 and I guess the D250S also in a similar price range. The argument boils down to whether the VSR isolator is up to the job - and I'm not touching that one.

Solar hasn't been mentioned anywhere, so that argument isn't valid. That said, you can still run solar via the solar's own regulator with a VSR.

Personally, after having a dual bat both under bonnet and now in the rear seat well, I would highly regard the latter. Its just a whole new world of betterness all round.
        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
          That all depends on what you buy. A fullriver 100AGm is in the vicinity of $400, yes. I got an SSB 105, delivered to the door via ebay from ADL for $200. So it can be done. All depends on what you consider "decent"

A VSR isolator can be had for well under $150. A DC/DC charger like you mention above, maybe not. However the IDC25 should be able to be had for sub $250 and I guess the D250S also in a similar price range. The argument boils down to whether the VSR isolator is up to the job - and I'm not touching that one.

Solar hasn't been mentioned anywhere, so that argument isn't valid. That said, you can still run solar via the solar's own regulator with a VSR.

Personally, after having a dual bat both under bonnet and now in the rear seat well, I would highly regard the latter. Its just a whole new world of betterness all round.
          Totally agree. My 2 Fullriver 120 amps cost $700 delivered. The solar panel is from when I had a few left over from com tower installs. 80 watt and puts out 5 amp. Love the panel as it is connected all the time to the batteries , even with dc/dc charger connected. Never had a problem. I have my own BP solar reg (not MPPT) and it performs well. Definately add solar to the equation...Smart move.
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Mundy55
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2015
            • Gold Coast

Just remember, as the disgruntled and pushy salesman said to me several decades ago: "The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of low price has passed."

I am going now to put away my soap box.

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Mundy55 View Post
              Just remember, as the disgruntled and pushy salesman said to me several decades ago: "The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of low price has passed."

I am going now to put away my soap box.

and he finished with..." now bend over and prepare yourself for our special deals" Just because something is low priced does not mean it cannot be of good quality. There is a balance between price and quality. Too much chinese crap on the market, just as there is a heap of overpriced, rip offs from named mmanufacturers.
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• stumagoo
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2014
                • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                and he finished with..." now bend over and prepare yourself for our special deals" Just because something is low priced does not mean it cannot be of good quality. There is a balance between price and quality. Too much chinese crap on the market, just as there is a heap of overpriced, rip offs from named mmanufacturers.
                and even worse is the expensive name brand items that are looking more and more like they are turning to rebadged cheap chinese gear (still uncertain as to the quality there of course)
                1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• Detonator
                  • Aug 2011
                  • Traralgon

How I did it in my NX

Made a false floor with trapdoor to access storage area
                  Mounted Ctek250 on cargo barrier.
                  Mounted an adaptable box on the cargo barrier. contains accessory plug, fuse and volt meter. All large cable connections in box to neaten up the installation.
                  Made alloy box to hold battery. Made clamps to hold box/battery in place.
                  Joined battery to Ctek with Anderson plug for easy disconnection.
                  Installed home made fridge slide with underslung tool slide.
                  Its a very tight fit but it works beautifully
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Benduro
                    • Oct 2007

Unreal
                    Very well thought out and I may look to do something similar when the time comes for a new vehicle. As I carry boards inside the roof, I will need to come up with something that doesn't require the cargo barrier to attach the electrics.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X