• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scouter1
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2013
    • Sydney NSW

Mitsubishi's future is in SUVs

Mitsubishi says its future is in SUVs, as the brand's design boss tells Practical Motoring the Evo is dead and a pajero replacement isn't in sight. Yet.

Mitsubishi says its future is in SUVs, as the brand’s design boss tells Practical Motoring the Evo is dead and a pajero replacement isn’t in sight. Yet.

Offroaders haven’t been forgotten, and the new Mitsubishi Pajero Sport (previously Challenger, changed as part of a global name alignment) will be launching shortly in Australia, and available in dealerships before the end of 2015. No word yet on whether “Pajero” will be used in South America, or whether the UK will lose their Shogun name which is what they know Pajero as.Speaking of Mitsubishi’s flagship 4X4, there is no replacement Pajero in sight, and when pressed Mr Kunimoto said only it “would be a while”. The current model is on a platform first seen in 2000, so that’ll be money’s worth out of that development for sure. Mitsubishi say they “will update” the Pajero, but weren’t to be drawn on what that might be, or when. I was hoping for an indicator of a new motor and six (or more) speed automatic, but we’ll just have to wait and see. However, there is now an improved infotainment unit in the MY2016 Pajero which we’ve briefly covered here.

Cheers,
    Stephen
    Last edited by Scouter1; 29-10-15, 11:52 AM. Reason: More info
    2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099
  • Ian Sharpe
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2000
    • Tasmania

No new Paj in sight!. That must be BS, they must have something at least in the planning stage. if they havent they are stuffed as they have left their run too late, IMO. All major manufacturers have passed the Paj long ago.
    NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
    NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• Scouter1
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2013
      • Sydney NSW

Challenger / Pajero Sport

Some news on Challenger / Pajero Sport front as well from the same article:

Above the Outlander-based vehicles there will be the Pajero Sport, and Pajero which look to be the more serious offroad vehicles – certainly our early analysis of the Pajero Sport indicates it will be a vehicle that touring offroaders can buy with confidence, continuing Mitsubishi’s strong reputation for offroad vehicles. In fact, we hear that Mitsubishi recently held focus groups and were impressed by the commitment of Challenger owners to their vehicles, and just how often and far they are taken offroad. Good that they’re listening! Both vehicles will be diesel-only, as Mitsubishi do not see much of a future for petrol 4X4s based on sales figures, and given less than 5% of Pajeros are sold as manuals in Australia we can expect automatics only in the future.

Cheers,
      Stephen
      2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• grhyso
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2012
        • Perth

Anyone looked at sales stats of the Pajero?
        August 2015
        Challenger - 169
        Pajero - 290
        MU-X - 457
        Prado - 854
        Jeep GC - 945

Sales for utes are interesting and you can see why the Triton has received it's update so soon.
        Amarok - 473
        BT-50 - 673
        Navara - 708
        D-Max - 821
        Colorado - 1114
        Triton - 1709
        Ranger - 1740

My observation is Mitsubishi aren't enjoying selling both the challenger and Pajero both with low sales numbers in the same country. Not sure what other countries have in regards to one or the other or both selling but I reckon they want to wring every last possible sale out of the current Pajero platform and hope the Challenger sales go through the roof with the new platform. If sales are good enough eventually just drop the Pajero from the line-up. Unless they want to upgrade the Pajero to take on the Landcruiser and Patrol segment it's sort of in a nowhere land only really challenging the Prado and Jeep GC in my eyes and they are both nearly or over three times the sales.

If they do want the line to continue I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Pajero NY or NZ or even a new model designator, based on the same platform but with cosmetic upgrades sort of like gen 3 to gen 4's. A new motor, possibly V6 CRD and a 6 speed auto. Run that for 2017-2020 then a new model on a new chassis etc.
        2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• conquistador
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2012
          • sth east queensland

Guaranteed worldwide if the new challenger is moderately successful and pajero sales remain flat. The pajero would be retired.

The halve year results suggest all forward efforts are going into small medium suvs
          which are projected to grow strongly out to 2020. Their growth for large is flat till then. I would argue its downhill. This is in part due to Europe which I think the
          Challenger and pajero won't meet upcoming emmision regs.

Reading through the lines their looking for a platform sharing deal for the next pajero with electric drive units displayed in the gcphev. Battery tech won't catch up till 2020 though.

Comment

• Bing
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2009
            • Currently QLD

A small SUV doesn't have the ability to replace a Pajero. They must have some options in mind.
            2010 Platinum LE. Cool Silver, Auto, DiD, MM Rear Difflock. HD MM Tow bar and Lift Kit. Buzz Racks.

Comment

• Pickle
              Administrator
              • Jun 2007
              • All over Oz

I find it very hard to believe the Pajero will be ditched. Pretty sure we will see one next year.
              Dave
              NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
              Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2000
                • Tasmania

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
                I find it very hard to believe the Pajero will be ditched. Pretty sure we will see one next year.
                Dave
                yeah but a completely new model?

IMO Mitsu could be thinking of dumping the big Paj, otherwise they would have released a completely new model a couple of years back to keep for with the other makers. They have left it so long because they are going to dump it. IMO
                NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
                NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• s311_bvm
                  • Oct 2011
                  • AUS

I don’t think that MMC will kill the Pajero. I do however think it will be at least 2018 before we will see a replacement.

I think MMC will update the Pajero for MY17 to include the 8 speed that they are releasing In the new Challenger / Pajero sport. It must bolt up as the current 5 speed Pajero box is used in Triton behind the 4N15.

Interestingly the 4M41 now appears to meet Euro 6 if fitted with a DPF as sold in Japan, however Power drops to 140 KW from the Euro 4 Aussie spec of 147 KW.

I suspect that for Australia the plan will be add the DPF by November 2016 but provide the 8 speed as a deal sweetener.

Another interesting development is that MMC have decided to provide Fiat with the Triton for European markets as the Ram 1500 is oversized for Europe. These types of deals are often a two way street so perhaps Pajero will receive the VM Motori A630 for higher spec Pajero’s for MY18, 179 KW and 570 NM sounds good.

When Pajero finally gets replaced I think it will need to compete with the 2016 Ford Explorer and the next LR Discovery as MMC will be keen to try and get back into the North American market as a full import after the recent closure of the Normal Illinois Mitsubishi factory.

Comment

• conquistador
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2012
                    • sth east queensland

For starters they're running out of the alphabet! Only ny nz left.

Comment

• pajeromack
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2014
                      • NSW

Originally posted by grhyso View Post
                      Anyone looked at sales stats of the Pajero?
                      August 2015
                      Challenger - 169
                      Pajero - 290...
                      ...Sales for utes are interesting and you can see why the Triton has received it's update so soon...
                      ...Triton - 1709
                      Ranger - 1740

My observation is Mitsubishi aren't enjoying selling both the challenger and Pajero both with low sales numbers in the same country. Not sure what other countries have in regards to one or the other or both selling but I reckon they want to wring every last possible sale out of the current Pajero platform and hope the Challenger sales go through the roof with the new platform. If sales are good enough eventually just drop the Pajero from the line-up.
                      I do agree. As you see in the sales figures, dual cab utes have really taken off and are (deservedly) sucking up the R&D dollars.
                      Enclosing the rear of a Triton and calling it a 'Pajero Sport' is a lot cheaper than designing a big monocoque 4WD and trying to sell it at a profit in today's market.

Why take the risk?

Mitsubishi clearly can not justify the expense if the ROI isn't guaranteed to be there. Instead they are trying to string along the Pajero with token face lifts and interior upgrades. The big issue might be the struggling emissions compliance of the 3.2L engine.

Meanwhile the competition and other vehicles in their stable surpass the struggling Pajero.
                      We see that the new Challenger gains the latest Triton underpinnings and new off-road smarts including hill descent control and terrain selection. The Pajero promises... carplay.
                      Last edited by pajeromack; 30-10-15, 10:53 PM.

Comment

• Ent
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2014
                        • Tasmania

Engine aside the Pajero is still a competive design. Mitsubishi probably reuse more parts across the range than any other manufacturer that I have noticed. The weakness is in the engines. A Pajero with European performing V6 would be an impressive vehicle. 4x4 designs are generally very long lived in production runs.

Updated electronics and transmissions stolen from other models will extend its life. The Achilles heal is limited engine choices. The 2.4 engine is the smallest in its class and will lose out in towing minded buyers eyes.

The weakness may be the power handling of the super select drive train. This and CV joints might be the killer of a high torque engine.
                        2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• caroma
                          • May 2012
                          • WA - Pilbara

This makes me sad.
                          2008 NS Petrol Auto.

Comment

• Bing
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2009
                            • Currently QLD

More doomsday hints on the Pajero.

2010 Platinum LE. Cool Silver, Auto, DiD, MM Rear Difflock. HD MM Tow bar and Lift Kit. Buzz Racks.

Comment

• caroma
                              • May 2012
                              • WA - Pilbara

The worst part of all this is that people who don't pay much attention to Mitsubishi vehicles are gonna think that this is the New Pajero, when it isn't.

"Have you seen the new Pajero? Looks like s***! Therefor by extension, your car is s***."

"...but it's a Challenger..."

I actually don't mind the look of it but the general public consensus is the opposite.
                              2008 NS Petrol Auto.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X