• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kerway
    • Aug 2010
    • North West Sydney

Whats the Outlander Like Offroad?

Hello,
    I've been thinking of buying a new Outlander VR for the wife. Has anyone taken one on the beach or offroad?
    Any help would be appreciated. I do have another 4wd which I would mainly use for my fishing trips onto beaches but the VR would be our "touring" car and as such, may get taken to some out of the way places.
    thanks
    kerway
    NW CoolSilver with things bolted on it. Some better than others
  • Quadcam
    • May 2008
    • Brisbane

We have just (literally) bought a 2012 VRX (wanted xenon & constant AWD) and plan to go on the beach. Looking under the front the engine sump is not protected by the crossmember so you would require something if you are planning on going further than sand. The fuel tank is just in front of the rear axle so provided you don't drag the body over a ledge it should be ok and the rear bumper is basically higher than the spare tyre.

Looking at our car the rear seems to be lower than the front even totally empty so you might need to a spring lift if you are after ground clearance. Footnote: I just went and measured the heights and compared to the RVCS data (for a 2011 model) our front is correct but the rear is at the lower tolerance of the spec (+/- 20mm) so there could be a spring problem.
    ZH Outlander VRX previously NS X V6 - RDL

Comment

• kerway
      • Aug 2010
      • North West Sydney

Thanks Quadcam ,
      I appreciate your reply. I may have to go climb under one and have a good look. The reason I was after a VR ( same all wheel drive system and motor as the VRX ) was because even though the 7 seat would be handy, the spare tyre in the VRX is a space saver and the VR has a full size spare. Much better for where I would be taking it.
      Please let me know how it goes.

thanks
      kerway

Comment

• Quadcam
        • May 2008
        • Brisbane

Yes, I wanted a full size spare, but wanted xenon lights more (after having them on the Pajero we wouldn't want another car without them). So we got another fullsize alloy in the deal but I haven't tried to fit it yet as I haven't got a tyre on it at the moment. It looks that it will be reasonably straightforward to fit lowering blocks to the front hinge points of the spare carrier and the rear might just need a longer bolt.

If you are considering the same the 7 seaters appear to have a different retaining system (hinged frame) to the 5 seaters (wheel on a chain I think). The 3rd row seats aren't really something you would want to put anybody in for a long distance. They look like very occasional use seats only.

Comment

• Quadcam
          • May 2008
          • Brisbane

Just a point about the constant all wheel drive. You realise that it does not have a centre diff but has an electromagnetic clutch on the front of the rear diff? The constant reference comes from there always being some coupling force applied (like most Subaru AWD 4 speed automatics).

Comment

• kerway
            • Aug 2010
            • North West Sydney

Thanks, I wasn't sure exactly how it worked but like you wanted constant awd. As I said, it'd be a tourer so wouldnt be subjected to the stresses of major offroading. The out of the way places would be easy dirt tracks and some snow work. if we thought we'd be doing any full on offroad, we'd take the other car.
            As i said to the wife last night, if we went and bought a "normal" car for touring, we certainly wouldn't be taking it anywhere off the tarmac so an Outlander would be a good compromise i believe.
            Wonder if anyone makes underbody protection for them.
            Are you happy with your outlander so far?
            kerway

Comment

• markpeh
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2010
              • Lake Clarendon QLD

We really enjoyed our Outlander when we had it, it was a 2009 model. Offroad it was much better than i expected, it was limited by the lack of clearance and the 18in wheels. But for dirt road and a bit of mud and sand it was great. We only traded it to get into the Pajero. The outlander was not up to towing much in the suspension department, it really sat down in the back what towing.
              NT ACTIV 2010 DID Manual

Comment

• Quadcam
                • May 2008
                • Brisbane

I would have preferred something with a mechanical centre diff and electronic lockup control (like Lancer Evolutions or Subaru 5 speed autos) because if the electronics fail you still get drive to both ends provided the wheels are on the ground. But this looks pretty robust and drives like a constant AWD.

It is larger inside than we expected (coming from a SWB Pajero with 2 kids) and feels like it will be nice to tour on any road plus have reasonable off road ability. As Markpeh has also commented about the rear end height when loaded and my observations when unloaded I suspect it might need some taller rear springs for peace of mind when 'all roading' but other than that it all looks good.

Comment

• Marty V
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • Cranbourne, Vic

If you have a look on You Tube you'll see some Outlanders having a go off road... The traction control system definately seems to help...

Comment

• seb7701
                    • Aug 2011
                    • Roma

I have mine for sale as per the classifieds, but would have to say we have enjoyed every minute of it. The amount of extras which MM packed into the unit for a reasonable price was unreal.

As for offroad, we haven't tried anything hardcore, although the AWD has had regular use if pouring rain or on unsealed roads etc. Nice to have a little extra security for the missus on slippery stuff. When I purchased it, I believe the clearance was about 15mm difference to the pajero? The clearance has probably been the most useful part. Great vehicle!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X