Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories

Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories Discussion of after-market extras: winches, bull bars, tow bars (and Towing), roof racks, snorkels, and other cool stuff

Old 18-09-17
Valued Member

Default LRA auxiliarytank - more problems

I've had more than my fair share of problems with my auxiliary tank over the last two years (see, just for one example, https://pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=51352 ).

Today I noticed that the tank was hanging asymmetrically: closer to the ground on the driver's side. A quick inspection showed that one of the 4 brackets holding the tank onto the Paj had sheared through it's entire width. That's about 10 cm of 3mm (or maybe 4mm?) steel. The other 3 brackets seemed OK, but won't be sure until the tank is dropped. Drove the Paj very carefully to TJM, the original suppliers and fitters. They contacted LRA, who, to their credit, immediately agreed to send an entirely new tank. Hopefully it will be done by end of the week.

Not sure why this happened. Maybe the bracket was crap to begin with. Maybe it had taken an extra load and fatigued in the 18 months I had the tank when it hadn't been fitted with the large steel weight-spreading plates on the floor pan for the front two bolts. I did scrape the tank on some tracks on my recent trip to the Cape, but nothing very harsh, and certainly nothing that an off-road tank shouldn't be engineered for. I might need to investigate a rear bash plate. I think Bushskinz' one is compatible with an LRA tank.

Anyway, every so often it might pay anyone with a LRA tank to look up your Paj's backside to see if it's all OK.

The pic shows the shear line and the several centimetres of separation of the edges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LRA tank bracket sheared off.jpg (52.7 KB, 173 views)
BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Lightforce 170 Halogen driving lights, Brown Davis i/c and sump bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD oil catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker
Old 18-09-17
Valued Member

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye on mine.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Peders Springs & EFS Shocks, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Infinity caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 18-09-17
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

Snap:

Very interesting. That's 2 now. I got them to put gussets on my replacement. I wasn't going to have that happen again

Draggin ones arse:

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 19-09-17
Valued Member

It's just a suggestion but I've got the 58L LRA tank but I notice you both have the 81L version, which is another 23kg in weight when full. Perhaps that's enough extra weight to cause the failures.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Peders Springs & EFS Shocks, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Infinity caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 19-09-17
Valued Member

Yes indeed, I have been thinking about that. Actually, since diesel is only 83% of the density of diesel, then the extra weight of a full tank is only about 19kg more than for the smaller 58L tank. Of course there would be more steel in the tank itself... Anyway, I'm thinking maybe only have the tank part full, say around town, except when I'm planning to go on long isolated trips. But the bottom line is that if the tank and it's brackets were appropriately engineered for their weight and intended purpose, there would be no problem.
BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Lightforce 170 Halogen driving lights, Brown Davis i/c and sump bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD oil catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker
Old 19-09-17
Valued Member

I've just had a chat with the owner of LRA. He reckons that since 2013 they sell about 15 or so of the 81L tanks per year and Sharkcaver's and mine are the only two who have come to grief with respect to the rear bracket giving way. What they did for Sharkcaver's - and will do for mine - is weld a steel reinforcing gusset along the side of the right angle bracket to help insure it won't shear off again. I have to say that, in my case at least, although it is mighty inconvenient, I was very satisfied with the attitude of LRA and their no-quibble customer service.
Old 19-09-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwoffey View Post
But the bottom line is that if the tank and it's brackets were appropriately engineered for their weight and intended purpose, there would be no problem.
Agree 100% there mate.
Old 19-09-17
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwoffey View Post
I've just had a chat with the owner of LRA. He reckons that since 2013 they sell about 15 or so of the 81L tanks per year and Sharkcaver's and mine are the only two who have come to grief with respect to the rear bracket giving way. What they did for Sharkcaver's - and will do for mine - is weld a steel reinforcing gusset along the side of the right angle bracket to help insure it won't shear off again. I have to say that, in my case at least, although it is mighty inconvenient, I was very satisfied with the attitude of LRA and their no-quibble customer service.
Inconvenient.....Just wait till it drops it's guts 300KM's up the CSR like mine did.

Get them to gusset the LHS bracket on the tank too - they didn't do mine, so I did it. And I also did the hanger that the LH bracket bolts to.

Problem with too many gussets is that you then lose some flex and it could put strain on something else - something else to break???.

Also whilst at it, make sure you check the bracket that the RHS bolts too. I found mine had failed just after coming home from the ABH. Credit to LRA, they air bagged me a new one, also with no quibbles:

I too am also wondering if I should have just stayed with the 58L job. And as said, I'm thinking that if I'm in the rough and I don't need the extra fuel, I will limit how much I put in there. Places like the ABH though makes it hard, so I just transfer fuel across when I use a 1/4 tank. Makes it a bit hard to gauge consumption, but every thing's a trade off.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 19-09-17
Valued Member

"Problem with too many gussets is that you then lose some flex and it could put strain on something else - something else to break???."

Yes, that's crossed my mind too. No free lunches I guess. Bigger tank, greater chance of something going wrong when we are driving in extremes - which is why we wanted the bigger tank in the first place . From now on I'm just going to be much more attentive to the fuel tank by more judicious filling and transfer, and inspecting the brackets and bolts at least every week, and daily out on the tracks.
Old 20-09-17

Or perhaps when one is going to do those trips requiring a full fuel load and over rough terrain one adds ancillary support of some kind. Be it as simple as straps that help with the load and allow the required "flexing" of the mounts. Makes me think twice about getting an LRA if this is likely to happen as I intend to go on remote solo trips in the future.