• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carty1968
    • Aug 2019
    • Wattle Grove

Suspension and auto mods

Hi guys, I'm new to all this forum stuff as well as new to owning a Pajero, usually a toyota man but i have to admit Ive been impressed by this turbo diesel NT LWB Pajero. I bought it off an elderly couple that owned it from new and have looked after it extremely well. Looking to upgrade the suspension as Ive noticed it sags in the back when i hook up the off road camper trailer. Ive checked with the old owner and its still all standard suspension and i know they used it a lot to tow there caravan around so the rear is probably getting a bit tired. Wont be doing any extreme 4wd driving probably more beach stuff so would like something with a bit more clearance and something to hold the back end up when we hitch up the trailer but dont want to lose the around town comfort(Wifes recomendation). So im all ears to you Paj experts. I have a long range tank fitted and the draw bar weight is about 120-140kg.

On another note does anybody experience a vibration around 80km/h? Its like the auto torq converter locks up to early as when i change it to manual mode it disappears.
  • slowcoach
    • Apr 2014
    • SA but travelling around Oz

G,day,
    Just got back from another big trip up NT and nth WA with our 2.5 tonne van.
    Our NT has just done 150,000km and has standard suspension still.
    I put hd airbags on the rear at 60,00km and run them at 35psi when towing our van 180kg towball weight.
    I have a lighter Smartbar bullbar and there are just 2 of us plus luggage but i try to put the heavier items in the car rather than the van.
    So I am happy with the standard springs and shockies and get good long wear from tyres....dont know how much longer they will last though as they have had a hiding on and off road.
    You may find if you dont beef up the rear springs or use airbags you may scrub out rear tyres ...pajeros are a bit soft in the arse.

Sorry cant help much with the vibration. I allways tow in manual mode H4 and stay out of 5th gear.
    TJM snorkel, Smartbar, Firestone air bags, SPV mod, Thumper Redback Extreme agm, Donaldson fuel filter, Bridgestone LT 697 AT, McHitch tow hitch 3.5t, Redarc 2550 bc-dc.

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by carty1968 View Post
      Hi guys, I'm new to all this forum stuff as well as new to owning a Pajero, usually a toyota man but i have to admit Ive been impressed by this turbo diesel NT LWB Pajero. I bought it off an elderly couple that owned it from new and have looked after it extremely well. Looking to upgrade the suspension as Ive noticed it sags in the back when i hook up the off road camper trailer. Ive checked with the old owner and its still all standard suspension and i know they used it a lot to tow there caravan around so the rear is probably getting a bit tired. Wont be doing any extreme 4wd driving probably more beach stuff so would like something with a bit more clearance and something to hold the back end up when we hitch up the trailer but dont want to lose the around town comfort(Wifes recomendation). So im all ears to you Paj experts. I have a long range tank fitted and the draw bar weight is about 120-140kg.

On another note does anybody experience a vibration around 80km/h? Its like the auto torq converter locks up to early as when i change it to manual mode it disappears.
      First up measure and post your ride heights at all 4 wheels when you are empty but standard fuel fill, when you are loaded up, aux tank is filled up and when you are hitched up.
      Front and rear axle weights on a weigh bridge would also be very helpful.

Vibration around 80kph when towing in "D" is the torque convertor unlocked in 5th gear. You can keep driving in 4th manual mode but even this will unlock the TC in hilly terrain or in head winds. MM4x4 do a choice of TC lockup kits, designed tested and built in Adelaide by a forum member. These are the not only the best available but also the best value.
      Fitting a Ultragauge MX will enable you to monitor your ATF temperatures, you will be shocked to see how high these get and how quickly they rise. High ATF temps shorten the useful life of ATF and this shortens the life of your Auto Transmission.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• geopaj
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
        First up measure and post your ride heights at all 4 wheels when you are empty but standard fuel fill, when you are loaded up, aux tank is filled up and when you are hitched up.
        Front and rear axle weights on a weigh bridge would also be very helpful.

Vibration around 80kph when towing in "D" is the torque convertor unlocked in 5th gear. You can keep driving in 4th manual mode but even this will unlock the TC in hilly terrain or in head winds. MM4x4 do a choice of TC lockup kits, designed tested and built in Adelaide by a forum member. These are the not only the best available but also the best value.
        Fitting a Ultragauge MX will enable you to monitor your ATF temperatures, you will be shocked to see how high these get and how quickly they rise. High ATF temps shorten the useful life of ATF and this shortens the life of your Auto Transmission.

OJ.
        My advice is to provide the information to OJ ad then follow HIS advice.

He is the resident suspension expert by far!
        Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X