• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hawk-eye
    • Apr 2010
    • South NSW

Smartbar

Hi peeps.
    Anyone here fitted a Smartbar to their NX. Thinking about getting one due to saving weight mainly.
    Just wondering what your thoughts are of the smartbar and if you have one fitted can you upload a picture.

Many Thanks.

Hawk-Eye.
  • oscaroo
    • Dec 2017
    • Sydney

I like mine.
    I haven't hit anything.

I liked that there shouldn't be any drilling on the car "frame" to install the non-winch compatible smartbar.

I also managed to retrofit my original fog lights, as shown

Also, apparently the winch compatible one only saves 14kg vs a steel one.
    Elsewhere on the forum I uploaded the install instructions I found online for the winch and the nonwinch compatible one.

If you're concerned on weight, then also get the bushskinz alloy plates. They weren't around when I got my steel boo plates so unfortunately I miss out.
    The lightforce lights are very lightweight.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by oscaroo; 08-08-19, 12:29 AM.

Comment

• pharb
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Tyers,Vic

I replaced the SB on my NX with an ARB. I admit, mainly for aesthetics, but I also find the ARB much more functional in relation to winch fitment, and auxilary lights etc.

This included a Warn winch.

I weighed everything that came off, and everything that went on. It seems the SB for the Paj uses an exceptionally heavy subframe, compared to some of the more common SB models. Hence the reason the SB wasn't much lighter than the ARB. Less than the weight of a battery.

I just looked at their brochure (dated August 2018) and it looks a lot different to the brochure available when I replaced mine, about December 2016. At that time I think they only had one variant, and it included the heavy subframe for winch fitment.

It appears now they have a non winch variant that is 13kg lighter than the winch variant SB I replaced.
      PCOV Member 1107.
      Daily driver NX GLX
      Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
      Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
      Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Garc
        • May 2015
        • Perth

Recently hired a 4WD in Kununurra. Budget have current Pajeros all with smartbars.
        Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Garc View Post
          Recently hired a 4WD in Kununurra. Budget have current Pajeros all with smartbars.
          Where a bullbar has been deemed a requirement by OHS department by some large mining companies, then fitting a Smartbar is the preferred option if they are available for the vehicle.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

I had a Smartbar on my NL. I didn't like the look of it but it did its job. I had it for years and I didn't hit one kangaroo or anything else. The bar must have scared them....

Seriously, the weight of the bar was barely more than the original front bumper assembly. Whenever I changed the timing belt, I used to remove the bar to make access to the engine easier. I have a genuine Mitsubishi steel bar on my NW, but I think I prefer the smart bar because if I do hit something it will absorb more energy than the steel bar. Yes - it may cause more panel damage but overall I think a major roo strike will cost less than the steel bar (hopefully no airbags going off etc).

Comment

• JanP
              • Nov 2007

Smartbar

My 2017 NX
              Attached Files

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                Valued Member
                • May 2017
                • Sydney

Originally posted by JanP View Post
                My 2017 NX

See I don’t mind that look. I don’t mind it at all. I have an ARB. I just don’t like the look of a bar-less Pajero anywhere near as much as one with. Totally changes the look of the vehicle. Everytime I see an NX with no bar I think “My front bumper used to look like THAT!!?” lol (it had a bar when I got it)

I liked my bar-less NP front bumper, just a lot less fussy than the modern DRLs etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Hawk-eye
                  • Apr 2010
                  • South NSW

Thanks for all the comments and replies.
                  Oscaroo & JanP cheers for the pictures.....I don't mind the look at all.
                  I guess it will come down to price and weight difference between alloy, steel, and SB Plastic.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Hawkeye,

First thing to decide is do you want a bullbar or you need a bullbar?
                    Then what is more important, looks over function.
                    Then price over function.

If you decide on function and function and you need a bullbar that gives the best protection to the occupants of the vehicle then a Smartbar is the best choice but be prepared for the onslaught of negative comments and judgements.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• MarkAW
                      • Aug 2016
                      • Point Cook

We have a SB with a Warn winch XD 9000. Also lightforce strikers fitted. Hit a few Roos at close to 100km. No damage to car or bar
                      I like the look my only issue is the metal which is painted the paint has started to flake off behind the bar. You can’t see unless you are under the car
                      2015 NX Pajero, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Spydura rope, Toyo Open Country AT2, OME 2" lift, Airtec snorkel, Pioneer Platform, Piranha DBE-SX 180 dual battery, Boo's Bash Plates, Lightforce Striker HID, Kings 2.5 x 2.5 awning, Scangauge2, HPD catch can

Comment

• psproule
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Googong, NSW

Got one off an NT on my NX. Fitted up fine. They used to be good value but since ARB bought Smartbar the price has gone through the roof.

Pat
                        2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
                        2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• wfc100
                          • Mar 2013
                          • Perth

Smartbar price

Originally posted by psproule View Post
                          Got one off an NT on my NX. Fitted up fine. They used to be good value but since ARB bought Smartbar the price has gone through the roof.

Pat
                          What is the price as a matter of interest.

Regards
                          Pajero NX GLX Auto 2019, rear Boos bumper protector. Dual yellow top battery.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2019
                            • Brisbane

Originally posted by wfc100 View Post
                            What is the price as a matter of interest.

Regards
                            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• outbackogre
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2010
                              • Melbourne

Originally posted by MarkAW View Post
                              We have a SB with a Warn winch XD 9000. Also lightforce strikers fitted. Hit a few Roos at close to 100km. No damage to car or bar
                              I like the look my only issue is the metal which is painted the paint has started to flake off behind the bar. You can’t see unless you are under the car
                              My NW had a smart bar fitted with a Warne winch when I bought it. I didn't want the winch so it was removed and sold. During removal I noticed the metal support structure for the plastic smart bar was very rusty. I later removed the whole thing and spent hours scraping and wire brushing it then applied coats of rust converter and kill rust black paint. It seems to be holding up ok. It's a shame it wasn't galvanized.
                              My friends call me Rob; you can call me .... Rob.
                              -------------------------------------------------------------
                              MY12 NW GL DiD auto. 2" MD Lovells/Bilstein lift. Bushskinz underbody protection. Home made rear platform with sliding boxes above and lots of space underneath.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X