• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tassiepomme
    • Jul 2019
    • Youngtown

Bullbar fitment to MY19 Pajero

Hi All

I'm about to fit an MCC Falcon bar (707-02, 3 hoop) to my new Paj.
    The instructions (photocopied and pretty ordinary!) show the fitment to a 2015 model, which has a different front bumper style.
    I was wondering if anyone had any experience of fitting (any) bull bar to the latest model?
    I know there will be some bumper cutting involved, but there are two chrome finish strips that run either side of the grille down the front of the bumper, which I'm a bit concerned about cutting correctly. The instructions don't really do a good job of showing where to cut (probably the most critical bit of the fitment!).
    I've attached a pic to show what I mean.
    Would appreciate any thoughts / comments!

Cheers
    Attached Files
  • tommy49
    • Dec 2018
    • Melbourne

Originally posted by Tassiepomme View Post
    Hi All

I'm about to fit an MCC Falcon bar (707-02, 3 hoop) to my new Paj.
    The instructions (photocopied and pretty ordinary!) show the fitment to a 2015 model, which has a different front bumper style.
    I was wondering if anyone had any experience of fitting (any) bull bar to the latest model?
    I know there will be some bumper cutting involved, but there are two chrome finish strips that run either side of the grille down the front of the bumper, which I'm a bit concerned about cutting correctly. The instructions don't really do a good job of showing where to cut (probably the most critical bit of the fitment!).
    I've attached a pic to show what I mean.
    Would appreciate any thoughts / comments!

Cheers
    I can't help at all with the query mate, but would love to know the end result i've been considering doing the same thing.
    FWIW those chrome strips are plastic on my 2016 model i found a website somewhere where you could buy replacements i could probably dig it up.

Comment

• Tassiepomme
      • Jul 2019
      • Youngtown

Originally posted by tommy49 View Post
      I can't help at all with the query mate, but would love to know the end result i've been considering doing the same thing.
      FWIW those chrome strips are plastic on my 2016 model i found a website somewhere where you could buy replacements i could probably dig it up.
      No worries - I'll probably tackle it next weekend so will put up a post-install report with some pics for anyone else looking to fit a bar onto the current model.

The MCC bar is unpacked (it was VERY well packaged! - took about 45 mins to unwrap...) and looks good. The only thing I did notice is the lack of edging strip for the bumper (to hide the cut edges). I recall seeing someone else's post regarding the MCC bars noting something similar.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Rather than use a pinch weld strip to cover the rough cut edge, just cut neatly and sand the face of the cut edge smooth. I did this 7 years ago when I fitted my bar, and I have not had to worry about pinch weld strip chaffing, falling off or looking daggy!

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Jayctee
          • Mar 2015
          • Brisbane

Love your posts OJ - let's bring back the word "daggy" - so very descriptive - classic Aussie stuff - but the true meaning may be lost on the youngsters ??
          Last edited by Jayctee; 12-07-19, 08:07 PM.
          SOLD: MY14 PC LS Auto Challenger, Airtec snorkel, GME TX3100 UHF, RV360 TPMS, Hema HN7, Provent 200 CC, Torque-Pro, Thunder Weekender battery box, Redarc BCDC 1225D charger.
          SOLD 1997 NK GLX 3.5 Auto

Comment

• Tassiepomme
            • Jul 2019
            • Youngtown

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
            Rather than use a pinch weld strip to cover the rough cut edge, just cut neatly and sand the face of the cut edge smooth. I did this 7 years ago when I fitted my bar, and I have not had to worry about pinch weld strip chaffing, falling off or looking daggy!

OJ.
            So, I fitted the bar at the weekend - the worst part was cutting the existing bumper, which was a real PITA and felt wrong somehow taking a grinder to a brand new car! I've attached a few pics to show the fitment, although I didn't take any of the bumper cutting as I was too stressed to stop to take pics...!
            I'm happy with the final install, although I did end up using the pinch weld strip to cover up my 'handiwork'...!

The only thing I would say is that the MCC instructions were pretty ordinary (I ended up getting a pdf sent as the supplied photocopy was too feint to read) and the instructions for cutting the bumper out of date (and pretty vague even if fitting to an older model). The guys at MCC were helpful though.
            Attached Files

Comment

• MyExceed
              • May 2014
              • Hobart, Tas

Nice job, something satisfying doing these sorts of mods yourself

Also like how you levitated the front with the wheels off
              Mark

NS Exceed V6, xrox bar with domin8r 12000lb winch, The Ultimate Suspension 2" lift, 265/70/17 BFG A/T, LED spots, LED fog lights, 40" roof mounted lightbar, OCAM alloy rack, dual batteries, Boos bash plates, diff breathers, Garmin 67LMT GPS, Tyredog TPMS, Uniden UHF, Engel MR40f in rear drawer system, external phone antennae, cargo barrier, dual side awnings, RTT, shovel holder, spare wheel lift

Comment

• Tassiepomme
                • Jul 2019
                • Youngtown

Thanks for that - and the levitation trick does come in handy! (I actually had the stands waay back...!)
                Really happy with the final install, although wish I had better plastic cutting skills and didn't have to use the pinch weld strip...

Comment

• bigfella78
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2010
                  • Mandurah, WA

Sorry to drag up and old thread, but I'm thinking of getting MCC Phoenix bar (Single loop) .

I want to install a winch, lights and UHF antenna's down the track. Any down sides?

I'm going single loop to save on weight, as I know it can be an issue..

2018 NX GLS, Munji DPF delete, MCC 808-02 Phoenix Bar, ARB Awning.

GONE but not forgotten - 1998 NL GLS, ARB Bull bar, GME UHF, Rhino Rack roof cage, Terrain Tamer Suspension, Mickey Thompson ATZ, Long range tank, Snorkel & Rallye 2000 Driving lights.

Comment

• grumpmeister
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2021
                    • Mt Burr SA

Looked at this style bar when I was researching mine, the big down for me was the lack of protection for the headlights & wings plus the bar work doesn't add all that much more weight in the big picture, we have lots of roos down here so full frontal protection was the deciding factor for me.

JMHO
                    Grumps
                    All the gear and some idea.....
                    MY15 NX GLS, AutoMate Pro, UltraGauge Mx1.4, Ironman Steel Bar, Kaon Intercooler & sump bashplates, Boos Rear bumper plate, KAON cargo barrier & shelf, Munji EGR delete cable, Provent catch can, Redarc BCDC 1220, 105a/Hr AGM 2nd battery, Snapshades (all rear glass) ........
                    Leave only footsteps & take only photographs

Leave the tracks & camps in better condition then you found them

Comment

• bigfella78
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2010
                      • Mandurah, WA

Originally posted by grumpmeister View Post
                      the big down for me was the lack of protection for the headlights & wings
                      Yeah, good point.. 12 week wait for the a frame bar though.. Does look good..I guess I will wait.. the council keeps chasing the roos off the golf course into our valley..

Click image for larger version

Name:	W201880-Edit.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	1108363

GONE but not forgotten - 1998 NL GLS, ARB Bull bar, GME UHF, Rhino Rack roof cage, Terrain Tamer Suspension, Mickey Thompson ATZ, Long range tank, Snorkel & Rallye 2000 Driving lights.

Comment

• jhonssmith
                        • May 2022
                        • Marigold enclave house#38

While you may be able to fit a bullbar as a DIY option, it can be very difficult to get everything lined up, not to mention cutting the bumper bar and body panels. A professional installation will take care of all this, as well as wiring up any extra driving lights or the winch as needed.

Comment

• bigfella78
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2010
                          • Mandurah, WA

Originally posted by jhonssmith View Post
                          While you may be able to fit a bullbar as a DIY option, it can be very difficult to get everything lined up, not to mention cutting the bumper bar and body panels. A professional installation will take care of all this, as well as wiring up any extra driving lights or the winch as needed.
                          Learn my lesson with my NL, had it all lined up on the stands.. took my eye off it for a second and it slipped.. scratching the guard..

Getting the local bullbar towbar place.. he was the most reasonable priced in town..

Comment

• grumpmeister
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2021
                            • Mt Burr SA

While we are on the topic of bars, what's the consensus on the mounting bolts etc... being re-torqued.. I asked the mob who fitted it and they couldn't care less once they had my coin & Ironman doesn't mention it in their documentation that I can find.

I know when I fitted my rear bumper guard I re-torqued the towbar bolts and found a couple that were a long way from spec..
                            All the gear and some idea.....
                            MY15 NX GLS, AutoMate Pro, UltraGauge Mx1.4, Ironman Steel Bar, Kaon Intercooler & sump bashplates, Boos Rear bumper plate, KAON cargo barrier & shelf, Munji EGR delete cable, Provent catch can, Redarc BCDC 1220, 105a/Hr AGM 2nd battery, Snapshades (all rear glass) ........
                            Leave only footsteps & take only photographs

Leave the tracks & camps in better condition then you found them

Comment

• erad
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2015
                              • Cooma NSW

I torqued up the bullbar mounting bolts and also the towbar bolts on my NW. I managed to get about a quarter of a turn on a couple of bolts on bot the bullbar and the towbar.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X