Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Interior mirror fell off- $1,000 to replace!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Markrrrrr
    • Jan 2019
    • Many, Sydney

Interior mirror fell off- $1,000 to replace!!!!

Hi guys

Prior watcher (thanks to all for valuable research info), first time poster re my 2011 PB Challenger.

Hoping someone may be able to advise a hack for my interior mirror (reversing camera built in) which fell off the stem which attaches to the windscreen mount. The piece that holds the mirror to the stem is plastic and has lost its ability to grip the ball shaped mirror attachment.

To my extreme shock and horror you can't just replace the stem, you have to buy the whole shebang for $1,000. You can buy a non reversing model for $160 but the reversing one comes in really handy when lining up the camper trailer on the towball......but it aint worth 1000 bucks.

Wondering if anyone has had the same problem and if they came up with any creative fixes.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Mark
  • Lakey
    • Apr 2012
    • Brisbane

Wreckers!
    Cheers
    Lakey

2012 PB Challenger LS manual. White, tinted windows, MM towbar, Rhino Aero Sportz Bars, otherwise pretty much bog standard.

Comment

• Kingbrown
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2012
      • Port Augusta - SA

Would it be possible to fuse together the ball/socket on the mirror end of the stem and just use the ball/socket at the windscreen end of the stem for small adjustments ?
      2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Keithyv
        Valued Member
        • May 2018
        • Perth

Buy a cheap aftermarket mirror assembly and liquid nails the original mirror part to the replacement one??
        2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
        MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• PeePee
          Valued Member
          • Oct 2012
          • Brisbane

I replaced the stereo with a new Pioneer job and put the reversing camera in that, don’t need the mirror camera anymore. That’s an option for the $1000 instead of a boring mirror.
          MY12 LS Challenger (cool silver) - 7 seater with ARB Deluxe Bar, IPF Driving Lights, Safari Snorkel, Stainless Bashplate, Ultimate Suspension Lift, Redarc electric brakes, ERPS, Dual Battery (Redarc DC/DC), Icom UHF, Rhino sports bars / platform, ARB Awning and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's.

Comment

• m_and_m
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2010
            • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Photo would help.
            Maybe coat the ball in a 2 part epoxy glue (like araldite) to make it thicker so it is a firmer fit into the socket.
            2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
            2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
            Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Markrrrrr
              • Jan 2019
              • Many, Sydney

Hi guys

Thanks for your replies and apologies for my delayed response.

It's a pretty ordinary plastic joint so it's no wonder it crapped out. Glueing it back in and using the base joint for small adjustments as suggested by Kingbrown would probably work if it was just me driving but my daughter also uses the car and she'd need major adjustments. The joint that's failed is the one used for major adjustments.

Might just buy a cheapie and keep the reversing mirror in the glovebox for when needed.

Will also check out wreckers Lakey.

Thanks again for responses.

Cheers, Mark

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X