• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fabo
    • Nov 2018
    • Busselton

Newbie looking at Gen 1 to buy... Questions

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here and going on the lookout for a Gen 1 turbo diesel LWB... Can I get some info on the engines pros and cons and auto gearbox.... Are parts hard to get for my mechanic etc, exy or the norm... What common fails what doesn't... I'm just looking for one for my daily and the occasional 4wd track and beach for a few surfing spots....im looking at one tomorrow, 88 2.5 to intercooler, auto, stock std...

Cheers
    Fabo
    BUSSO in WA
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Fabo,

Any 30 year old car can be a "financial black hole" especially a 4wd which you have not owned before especially if you are paying someone to work on it and you want to use it as your daily driver. It would have to have been almost completely rebuilt so ask to see the receipts of what work has been done, this will give you an idea of the cost of ownership.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• fabo
      • Nov 2018
      • Busselton

I'm aware of owning a old car because it's only ever what I've own.. I can't stand new cars...
      But really if a a cars been looked after and has only 250,000 on the clock and diesel it Should have a fair bit to go in that department.... I really just want to know what's common problem with these engines, how much for a recon and what issues with the auto boxes, are they good etc... And other known mechanical issues with these models.. That's all....

Cheers

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Mitsubishi Motors Australia didn't sell a diesel / auto combination until late NM - this millennium.

Any Gen 1 Auto behind a diesel is a grey import, with all the associated fun attempting to source parts.

I'm not aware of any specific problems with Mitsubishi engines or autos. Some will tell you horror stories of cracked heads, but I believe that's a risk with any 30 year old alloy head, regardless of manufacturer.

I also believe the Gen 1 is a good, capable off-road tourer, albeit unspectacular by modern standards. If you're prepared to deal with all the typical age related issues, the fundamental design of a Gen 1 Pajero should serve you well.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• fabo
          • Nov 2018
          • Busselton

So the Aus models came with manual only, gotchya.. .... If the two that I'm going to look at are auto's, is there a Aus model Mitsubishi that it came out of or is it a pajero import only gbox.... I just had a Hiace Super custom "import" what a head f@k when something went wrong...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X