X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miniyazz
    • Jul 2018
    • Alice Springs

Just to update here I did some tests before filling up with fuel, now bearing in mind the local MVR weighbridge gives readings to the nearest 20kg -
    Front axle 1240kg
    Rear axle 1220kg
    (no people)
    Post-fuel - 80.06L = ~66.6kg
    Front axle 1260kg
    Rear axle 1260kg

Aside from my weight distribution being superior to that of a sports car, I can surmise that between 16.6kg and 30kg of 66.6kg fuel weight went on the front axle, and between 36.6kg and 50kg on the rear axle. So somewhere between a 25:75 split to a 45:55 split front:rear. More data would help to narrow that down.

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by miniyazz View Post
      Just to update here I did some tests before filling up with fuel, now bearing in mind the local MVR weighbridge gives readings to the nearest 20kg -
      Front axle 1240kg
      Rear axle 1220kg
      (no people)
      Post-fuel - 80.06L = ~66.6kg
      Front axle 1260kg
      Rear axle 1260kg

Aside from my weight distribution being superior to that of a sports car, I can surmise that between 16.6kg and 30kg of 66.6kg fuel weight went on the front axle, and between 36.6kg and 50kg on the rear axle. So somewhere between a 25:75 split to a 45:55 split front:rear. More data would help to narrow that down.
      If you measure the centre of the fuel tank then the distance from the centre of the fuel tank to the rear axle and then divide this distance by the wheel base, this will give you the percentage of rear axle weight distribution.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• miniyazz
        • Jul 2018
        • Alice Springs

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
        If you measure the centre of the fuel tank then the distance from the centre of the fuel tank to the rear axle and then divide this distance by the wheel base, this will give you the percentage of rear axle weight distribution.

OJ.
        Unfortunately the fuel tank isn't a (3D) rectangle (what's that called?) which makes it harder. It's narrower at the front and I don't know how the vertical dimension changes.

It's not too important. Some people might find it handy to work out where to add the weight if they weigh with anything other than a full tank.

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by miniyazz View Post
          Unfortunately the fuel tank isn't a (3D) rectangle (what's that called?) which makes it harder. It's narrower at the front and I don't know how the vertical dimension changes.

It's not too important. Some people might find it handy to work out where to add the weight if they weigh with anything other than a full tank.
          My suggested method of calculation will be close enough because the fuel tank is roughly central between the front and rear axles. Theoretical calculations will only give you static weight distribution when the vehicle is level, go uphill and the weight moves rearwards, go downhill and the weight transfers forward, turn right and the weight transfers to the left hand side, turn left and the weight is transferred to the right hand side of the vehicle.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• redbruce
            Administrator
            • Sep 2019
            • Melbourne

Originally posted by Hill View Post
            Miniyazz

Thanks for posting. I've also started adding up additional weight. Kerb eight from MM should include a full tank of fuel.

Must admit I forgot to add cabling for 2x Anderson etc.

Hill

PS Dicky seats are around 35kg
            3rd row seat (with head rests) is 14kg.

2nd row seats are 20kg + 40kg.
            PCOV Member 1954
            MY15 NX Exceed, Auto Mate PRO, Paddle shift, Vlads TC mod, EVC U9, Unicorn Power upgraded intercooler, Ultimate Diesel tune, Fuel manager 2 micron post filter, Redarc BCDC + Lithium, MM tow hitch, Teshonka brake controller, Provent catch can, GME 3350 UHF, RHS Offroad bash set, Falken Wildpeak AT3W LT265/70R17, TPMS, Dobinson IMS/Kings HHD/EHD 40mm lift, Rhino bars, Drifta 270 awning, spare tyre lift, Ultraguage MX 1.4, Ultravision 205 4.5K lightbar, auxiliary PWR 23 row transmission cooler and radiator bypass, upgraded bar/plate intercooler, KAON barrier and shelf, XTM kitchen and drawer, ARB Smartbar. Stockman Extreme pod trailer with Drifta Stockton RTT.

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by redbruce View Post

3rd row seat (with head rests) is 14kg.

2nd row seats are 20kg + 40kg.
              No wonder I had trouble getting the twin seat , second row seat out of the car and into my wardrobe for storage. The single seat isn't too hard.
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X