• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leo xtgt69
    • May 2011
    • Albury

NX Pajero oil choice??

Hi there
    I have a 2015 NX Pajero. I'm pretty sure no DPF is fitted. I have been searching for a suitable oil for my services as I found that the dealer has been using a generic Delco oil. The oil I have come up with and purchased but not yet fitted is a Penrite HPR 5 5w-40 fully synthetic. I have queried the tech section on the Penrite website and they were a bit non committal. I absolutely want to put the best oil I can in it and stick with it as I will be keeping the vehicle long term. I compared Valvoline, Castrol Shell etc but the penrite HPR range looks the goods.
    Can anyone see a problem with my choice BEFORE I put it in?
    Many thanks Leo
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

Yes correct no dpf.

Penrite datateck site lists HPR DIESEL 10 10W-40 as suitable for your model, not sure what others are using. That said it is semi not full synthetic.

I have used Penrite in my vehicles (Pajero along with others) for years and never had any issues. Not saying its the best but suits me. Some others will side with different brands but that is my choice.
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• leo xtgt69
      • May 2011
      • Albury

Yeah that's right mate, this is why I chose the HPR 5 as its a full synthetic. We purchased the NX brand new after purchasing our NP new in 2003. We still have the NP as we are teaching our son to drive in it. Pretty good testimony for the Pajero when we go and buy another after 14 years!!
      This is my first diesel as ive only ever had v8's and the 3.8L NP soi just want to make doubly sure ive picked the correct oil.
      Cheers

Comment

• pajaj70
        • Apr 2016
        • Melbourne

I'm using Penrite HPR diesel 10, 10w-40 as specified on their site. I have chosen to do oil changes every 10 k as diesel engines aren't as clean as petrol. Most oils for non DPF versions are semi synthetic specified and will be more than adequate.
        NX 2016 GLX , Boos bash plates, catch can and flashlube primary filter.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2013
          • Sydney

10w-40 for me too. It’s the grade as recommended by Penrite and I believe they have sought manufacturer approval. It is a semi synthetic however I do half service interval oil changes ie 7500km.
          NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Mundy55
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2015
            • Gold Coast

Anyone have a view on Mobil 1 (silver) 5W-40W?

Comment

• markc
              • Oct 2007
              • Brisbane Sth East

Havoline

I can highly recommend Havoline 5w40 fully synthetic

From caltex depot sells it for around $160/20lt (servos are about $65/5lt)

Has surpassed all expectations and oil analysis as well as exceeding MM requirements for the NT and non dpf pajeros

After 200,000 klm the engine is very clean (inside and out), uses no oil and still runs and sounds as new

Also the similar Havoline fully synthetic 5w30 C3 oil for dpf engines sells for about the same

Cheers Mark
              Last edited by markc; 31-10-18, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• Paj11
                • Jun 2017
                • Sydney

Originally posted by Mundy55 View Post
                Anyone have a view on Mobil 1 (silver) 5W-40W?
                I use Mobil 0w-40 full synthetic, expensive but the car drives nice.
                2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Comment

• Vicbitter
                  • May 2016
                  • Melbourne

I have the penrite hp5 fully synthetic and hp10 semi synthetic.
                  With my oil change due summertime, which would be more appropriate to use?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Morten
                    • Jul 2018
                    • Aberdeen NSW

Penrite HPR Diesel 10W40 is what I've been using for years in my "moderrn" diesels...and used it in some "proper" diesels to...ones that the only electric bit was the alternator...suits the climate, never had any issues with any of my vehicles...just had my local bloke do a service on 75000 service on the Paj and that's what went in

Comment

• MiteeWidge
                      • Mar 2014
                      • Townsville

Originally posted by leo xtgt69 View Post
                      Hi there
                      I have a 2015 NX Pajero. I'm pretty sure no DPF is fitted. I have been searching for a suitable oil for my services as I found that the dealer has been using a generic Delco oil. The oil I have come up with and purchased but not yet fitted is a Penrite HPR 5 5w-40 fully synthetic. I have queried the tech section on the Penrite website and they were a bit non committal. I absolutely want to put the best oil I can in it and stick with it as I will be keeping the vehicle long term. I compared Valvoline, Castrol Shell etc but the penrite HPR range looks the goods.
                      Can anyone see a problem with my choice BEFORE I put it in?
                      Many thanks Leo
                      The generic Delco oil will either be General Motors AC/Delco or Caltex Delo 400. Would be no need for concern if either of those have been used. Caltex Delo is a very well regarded oil and the oil of choice for many owners without a DPF.
                      2011 Challenger 30th Anniversary Manual , OEM nudge bar , GME 3100 UHF , seat spacers , OEM tow bar , Rydge Ryder Awning , Dueler 265/65/17's , Munji egr , Ultragauge , ABR Sidewinder Flyer dual battery box , TJM Gold 4000 suspension , Plazmaman Intercooler hoses , Stedi ST4K 28'' light bar , 2 Stedi 7'' Type X , Pedders 5899 cones , Provent 200 catch can .

Comment

• Yeorgos
                        • Feb 2020
                        • Adelaide

My July 2016 NX 3.2 DI-D was serviced at a Mitsubishi Dealer in August 2019 by its previous owner , i bought it in the beginning of March 2020

Having read almost every post on this forum on what engine oil every one is using , today i rang three Mitsubishi Dealers in Adelaide to ask what oil they will use if i got them to do an engine service,
                        This included the dealer that last serviced my vehicle

Two of the Dealer workshops use on the Non DPF engines a generic 15w40 Castrol oil and the third one uses a Valvoline 15w40 but on the DPF fitted vehicles they use a 5w30 , and although they sell Genuine Mitsubishi engine oil in 15w40 and 5w30 viscosity they don't use it in the workshop .

So i came to the understanding that the non DPF 3.2 DI-D engine in my 2016 NX is able to use any API CD or better engine oil from the likes of Caltex Delo 400 , Castrol RX Super , Shell Rimula etc etc to semi synthetics right up to high performance low viscosity full synthetics

I think the older diesel oils may not meet current emmision standards in some way but then why are emmisions relevant when we a blanking EGR valves , and with all this i still haven't decided what oil to buy for when i soon service at home but I'm leaning towards a diesel oil of 10w40 viscosity changed at 7500km
                        George
                        2016 NX GLS Pajero
                        2010 JT Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Comment

• redbruce
                          Administrator
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Melbourne

We use Nulon 10W 40 full synthetic in our NT and MY15 NX.

When I bought my VX Commodore back in 2002 I ran mineral oil on 5000km changes. At 150,000km I switched to full synthetic on 10,000 km changes.

The mineral oil came out like black paint, despite twice the service distance the synthetic oil comes out like a dark tea colour (and still does even with 370,000km on car). Had the same experience with my Honda VFR800.

We only use synthetic oil in all our vehicles.
                          Last edited by redbruce; 16-04-20, 03:19 PM.
                          PCOV Member 1954
                          MY15 NX Exceed, Auto Mate PRO, Paddle shift, Vlads TC mod, EVC U9, Unicorn Power upgraded intercooler, Ultimate Diesel tune, Fuel manager 2 micron post filter, Redarc BCDC + Lithium, MM tow hitch, Teshonka brake controller, Provent catch can, GME 3350 UHF, RHS Offroad bash set, Falken Wildpeak AT3W LT265/70R17, TPMS, Dobinson IMS/Kings HHD/EHD 40mm lift, Rhino bars, Drifta 270 awning, spare tyre lift, Ultraguage MX 1.4, Ultravision 205 4.5K lightbar, auxiliary PWR 23 row transmission cooler and radiator bypass, upgraded bar/plate intercooler, KAON barrier and shelf, XTM drawer, ARB Smartbar.

Comment

• dhula
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2012
                            • South of Perth

I've done the oil thing several different ways depending on which car or bike I've had at the time.
                            Biggest thing I reckon is to use an oil that meets the min specs called for by the OEM.
                            If OEM calls for a full syn oil, use one, if not I reckon there is no real need to apart from making you feel good on the inside and IMHO making your wallet feel lighter.
                            I've seen engines do over 1/2mil kms using cheep oil regardless of maker so long as it met the OEM spec requirements.

Me personally, I currently use Penrite Deso 15 (15w-50) in both the Paj and the Jeep. Both get a oil and filter change every 100hrs to keep things running fresh
                            2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                            2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• pharb
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2007
                              • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by dhula View Post
                              I've done the oil thing several different ways depending on which car or bike I've had at the time.
                              Biggest thing I reckon is to use an oil that meets the min specs called for by the OEM.
                              If OEM calls for a full syn oil, use one, if not I reckon there is no real need to apart from making you feel good on the inside and IMHO making your wallet feel lighter.
                              I've seen engines do over 1/2mil kms using cheep oil regardless of maker so long as it met the OEM spec requirements.

Me personally, I currently use Penrite Deso 15 (15w-50) in both the Paj and the Jeep. Both get a oil and filter change every 100hrs to keep things running fresh
                              What sort of kms do you complete in 100 engine hrs?
                              PCOV Member 1107.
                              Daily driver NX GLX
                              Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                              Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                              Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X