• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • Currently QLD

Mitsubishi Pajero vs Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

If and when Mitsubishi retires its Pajero, the Pajero Sport will be left to look after Mitsubishi’s fortunes in the 4x4 wagon market. Is it up to the job?
    2010 Platinum LE. Cool Silver, Auto, DiD, MM Rear Difflock. HD MM Tow bar and Lift Kit. Buzz Racks.

• littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

good read ...

still hopes they keep the Pajero it's truly unique in every way and form ...

PS/Challenger remolded and tweaked (smaller motor) less boot space , confined front cabin area, less ground clearance - although I do like the leather and stitch ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2000
      • Tasmania

that was a good comparison. I was surprised that the Sport has a low ratio of 45:1. That is seriously useful compared to the Pajero. BTW the Gen 2 Pajero auto had a crawl ratio of 26:1. Seriously way off the standard.
      NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
      NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• pajeromack
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • NSW

yeah that new crawl ratio is a killer feature. Would cost thousands as a retrofit but many drivers won't appreciate the value.

I don't know why Mitsubishi persisted with such a dud ratio for so long. I stalled my old NP many times because of it and probably murdered the clutch on rocky hillclimbs.

Comment

• Chainsaw
          • Oct 2016
          • Sunshine Coast Aust

I wouldn't be rushing in and hoping for the 8 speed auto. I have had a VW Touareg with 6 speed and now later model with 8 speed and I know with towing my van which I would prefer. With eight speed it just shuffling between the top ratios all the time where as the six speed holds the gears better. That's why I prefer to use Sports Mode when towing with the Paj and leave it in 5th for as long as possible, it keeps hanging on like an old Mack truck.

Comment

• Amok
            • Dec 2016
            • Sydney

There's a video on YouTube for the relating footage for that review. I watched it before buying my Pajero.

One test drive of both vehicles and I had no interest in getting back in the Sport.
            MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• Stoneman
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2012
              • Melbourne

Good review

Even the fuel economy sounded pretty fair I thought
              NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

Comment

• Ian H
                Valued Member
                • May 2015
                • Melbourne

I didn't even take the sport for a test drive. One sit in it was enough. The overall all round view from the cabin is much better in the NX than the sport. To me, the sport was designed for looks and not practicality.
                2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Quite a fair review, but then again, there wasn't a Nissan or Toyota to "beat" them.

I view it as a "horses for courses" deal. The Pajero offers benefits to some owners, the Pajero Sport offers different benefits to different owners. Newer technology for less money will be very hard for many to pass up.

The one point that frustrates me is the way they compare the engines, emphasising the peak power & torque figures, but not really discussing rev range.

Once upon a time, I used to read discussions of "power band", which was commonly interpreted as the rev range between peak torque and peak power.

On the Pajero Sport, this is a 1000rpm window, from 2500 to 3500 rpm.
                  For the Pajero, the window is 1800 rpm, from 2000rpm to 3800rpm.
                  For the old Toyota 1HD-FTE, a 4.2 litre lump of old-skool iron, peak torque of 430Nm began at 1400rpm, with peak power at 3400rpm - a 2000rpm window.

There is no replacement for displacement.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Amok
                    • Dec 2016
                    • Sydney

Also the price of the Pajero has come down since that review, and dealers are very willing to discount to get them off the showroom floor.

I picked up a brand new GLX for less than I'd be able to get a Sport for.

Comment

• Ian H
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2015
                      • Melbourne

I know the manager of a Mitsi dealer and he said the Sport is the one people want to buy. They are outselling the old Paj easily.
                      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• pajeromack
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2014
                        • NSW

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                        Once upon a time, I used to read discussions of "power band", which was commonly interpreted as the rev range between peak torque and peak power.

On the Pajero Sport, this is a 1000rpm window, from 2500 to 3500 rpm.
                        For the Pajero, the window is 1800 rpm, from 2000rpm to 3800rpm.
                        For the old Toyota 1HD-FTE, a 4.2 litre lump of old-skool iron, peak torque of 430Nm began at 1400rpm, with peak power at 3400rpm - a 2000rpm window.

There is no replacement for displacement.
                        Meh, depends on how the engine is geared. A good auto should let the revs rise quickly to where the engine makes torque & power.

Also that isn't an accurate measurement of the power band. The PS engine will keep making power at 4k.

Would like a bigger engine option though, like the 3.2 in the Ford Ranger.

Comment

• Having Fun
                          • Jun 2015
                          • Adelaide

I would have thought the 2 cars are chalk & cheese! Not quite sure how they could be compared side by side?

IMO, one is a beautiful around town car that is OK off road. The other is a very good car on dirt roads that is OK around town.

Comment

• Amok
                            • Dec 2016
                            • Sydney

Actually I think the Sport is very capable off road! Much more than they're given credit for in some reviews.

Comment

• JoshF
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2008
                              • Brisbane

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport review on Auto Expert John Cadogan's website: http://www.autoexpert.com.au/buying-a-car/mitsubishi-pajero-sport-reviewEach month I sa...
                              NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                              Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X