Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 04-03-16

Default 3 Micron post fuel filter installation

Finished installing a Donaldson 3 micron kit this afternoon. I made a steel bracket picking up OEM filter mounting studs, as well as the two small (unused) bolts in the firewall just to the right. Very rigid set up. I chose to plumb the filter as a secondary as the other way round just doesn't make sense to me.
Mick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3040308.JPG (94.2 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg P3040309.JPG (88.1 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg P3040310.JPG (93.9 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg P3040311.JPG (103.1 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg P3040312.JPG (102.9 KB, 181 views)
Old 04-03-16
Valued Member

What doesnt make sense? Interested in your reasons.
Old 04-03-16

It seems pointless to me to put a coarser filter downstream of a finer filter. The fine filter would be loading up while the coarse filter would theoretically be doing nothing, because it is already receiving cleaner fuel than it can produce. If I'm going to fork out good money on filters and change them both when I'm supposed to (and the coarse one in this instance must be replaced at intervals to keep my warranty), I would want them both to actually have done some work.
Old 04-03-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorties178 View Post
It seems pointless to me to put a coarser filter downstream of a finer filter. The fine filter would be loading up while the coarse filter would theoretically be doing nothing, because it is already receiving cleaner fuel than it can produce. If I'm going to fork out good money on filters and change them both when I'm supposed to (and the coarse one in this instance must be replaced at intervals to keep my warranty), I would want them both to actually have done some work.
Exactly. I am an aquarist and nobody in the aquarist world puts finer filter media before coarser filter media.
Old 05-03-16
Valued Member

Quote:
It seems pointless to me to put a coarser filter downstream of a finer filter. The fine filter would be loading up while the coarse filter would theoretically be doing nothing, because it is already receiving cleaner fuel than it can produce.
I've been saying the same thing on the forum for years.

Nice neat-looking installation mate. Did you have much trouble bleeding the system after installing the new filter. I presume you filled it all with diesel before trying to bleed it.

Cheers

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 05-03-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Finished installing a Donaldson 3 micron kit this afternoon. I made a steel bracket picking up OEM filter mounting studs, as well as the two small (unused) bolts in the firewall just to the right. Very rigid set up. I chose to plumb the filter as a secondary as the other way round just doesn't make sense to me.
Mick
SHortie

Neat set up. There is quite a kink in on of the pipes. A bigger loop may be required to increase the radius of the pipe.

Your fuel pump and injectors will be thanking you for the rest of their prolonged life.

Setting up as secondary filter is the way to go. Donaldson recommend fitting as primary filter.

Change secondary filter at least every 12 months. 10-15K seems around the right service interval to me.

Hill
Old 05-03-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHendo View Post
I've been saying the same thing on the forum for years.

Nice neat-looking installation mate. Did you have much trouble bleeding the system after installing the new filter. I presume you filled it all with diesel before trying to bleed it.

Cheers

Geoff

+1 Not only common sense but a world wide practice for most filtering processes.
Old 05-03-16

No I didn't pre-fill the filter Geoff. Just loosened the bleed screw & pumped for a while. I was surprised by how quickly it filled really. The clear bowl underneath the filter filled in about 4 pumps so it didn't take too long to squirt out the bleeder. Started fine with nary a miss.
Mick
Old 05-03-16
Valued Member

Quote:
No I didn't pre-fill the filter Geoff. Just loosened the bleed screw & pumped for a while. I was surprised by how quickly it filled really. The clear bowl underneath the filter filled in about 4 pumps so it didn't take too long to squirt out the bleeder. Started fine with nary a miss.
Mick
I did not as well. Just had to pump more. I am about to swap mine over.
Old 07-03-16

Nice neat job, thanks for the pictures