Below Nav Bar

Collapse

PC Challenger long range fuel tank otions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drewy
    • Jan 2015
    • Brisbane

I've just started working at TJM and have seen a different way to go. Enmach Industries do diesel tanks which could be mounted in hard to use areas, essentially they are just going to act as a fixed Jerry can mounted somewhere in/on the car. but with filler hoses and pumps if needed. just another way to go if you don't like the idea of parting with $1500 - $2000 or messing with the factory tank.
    2010 challenger pb LS,Charcoal,Auto,tjm Airtec snorkle,awning, XROX Front Bar,Runva 11XP Winch,Narva spotties,33"light Bar,2×6"45w rear "work lights",Dual Optima D34's with Redarc Solenoid,Maxxis Bighorns 285/75R16 on black sunnies and 265/75r16 BFG R.T's on Hummer H3 rims,ironman 2"lift,ironman 3"exahust,oil catch can,front e-locker,BushSkinz Bash Plates and Sliders,Custom Roof Platform,Custom Drawers,Fridge Slide,air compressor,air Horn,UHF,Inverter,ScanGuage,Alpine Stereo Upgrade,2x8"subs.

Comment

• coughy
      Valued Member
      • May 2014
      • Redlands Brisbane QLD

from here

Enmach has been Australia's leader in the design and manufacture of high end Cone Bottom Tanks and Poly Silos for over 30 years.
      My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
      New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

• Drewy
        • Jan 2015
        • Brisbane

that's them mate, i know i would be able to fit a couple of nice size tanks between my draws and back seat.
        2010 challenger pb LS,Charcoal,Auto,tjm Airtec snorkle,awning, XROX Front Bar,Runva 11XP Winch,Narva spotties,33"light Bar,2×6"45w rear "work lights",Dual Optima D34's with Redarc Solenoid,Maxxis Bighorns 285/75R16 on black sunnies and 265/75r16 BFG R.T's on Hummer H3 rims,ironman 2"lift,ironman 3"exahust,oil catch can,front e-locker,BushSkinz Bash Plates and Sliders,Custom Roof Platform,Custom Drawers,Fridge Slide,air compressor,air Horn,UHF,Inverter,ScanGuage,Alpine Stereo Upgrade,2x8"subs.

Comment

• wil55n
          • Mar 2014
          • Sydney

What's the safety considerations for storing diesel within car cabins?

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Diesel is much safer than petrol but even petrol can be carried safely inside.

If it is a removable tank then it must be vented to the existing fuel system.

If it is in jerry cans these must be sealed, best kept upright and well secured. Biggest issue with jerry cans inside the vehicle, apart from lids not sealing correctly, is straight after filling them up if you get some spillage on the outside of the container, this needs to be washed of with detergent and water otherwise you do get an odour. I use the diesel I carrying in jerry cans only when there is no other option to get fuel, prefer to put a jerry in at camp in the evening than on the side of the road. When I have had to do roadside refuel then the empty jerry goes on the roof rack until it is refilled or that night at camp.

If you can smell fuel then you have a problem!

cheers, OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• supazuk
              • Jun 2014
              • Katherine

Originally posted by wil55n View Post
              What's the safety considerations for storing diesel within car cabins?
              Main thing is you don't want them smacking you in the back of the head in a rollover. I always make sure heavy things are tied down. No issue with actually carrying fuel in a car, I carry fuel in a aircraft several times a year so can't see why a car would be an issue.
              2014 PC Challenger, TJM winch bar, RUNVA 9500 winch, MMA tow bar, $0.09 EGR resister mod, 114L fuel tank, narva 225 HID driving lights, scan gauge 2, uniden UHF, TAIT VHF, TJM battery tray, bush skins , dobinsons lift and plenty more to still do

Comment

• spot01
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Adelaide

A few other points to note re carrying jerry cans of diesel in the car:
                - don't overfill, ie, only put 20L in a 20L jerry, as the remaining empty space is to allow for expansion
                - keep upright, make sure they seal properly & are designed for fuel usage
                - try to keep them away from direct sunlight & try to keep the inside of the car from getting super-heated if parked in the sun
                Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• wil55n
                  • Mar 2014
                  • Sydney

Thanks for the advice guys!

Comment

• shortSteve
                    • Dec 2012
                    • Perth

Ok, review time...and another question.
                    First up, have been very happy with the tank, i'm not the type of guy that runs the tanks to empty, so usually fill up with around 1/4 showing on the guage, 800km's and 80-85Litres. Now, I am in the process of planning a Simpson trip and working on an offroad range of 700km (absolute worst case, allowing for 100km buffer and 100km of sightseeing).
                    From experience, beach running usually around 15L/100km, so using a figure of 17L/100km to give me a bit of a safety buffer. Based on this, I require something like 119Litres of fuel. All seemed fine, 1 jerry can and a full tank, so I thought I would see how much useable fuel capacity I have and work backwards from there...
                    Now, I know the capacity is 112Litres, I would assume 10-15L as unusable, so was hoping to get close to 100L in the tank. First test was drive to fuel light (and, again, I appreciate the fuel float isn't calibrated for a different tank, same with the reserve/fill fuel light). was a bit under 850km, and spot on 85L. Next, drive to 0km range on Distance To Empty guage (which actually stops at 50km...). was a fill of 92L. Guage was just past empty and had travelled just under 900km. Now, am in the process of running to empty. Fuel light came on around 830km, have done 80km since, guage is not reading at all but car keeps going...
                    So, question to others, how many usable litres does your long range tank actually hold, compared to how many litres the capacity is?

Will update in the next day or so while stopped on the side of the road filling from the emergency jerry can...

sS
                    MY13 Triton GLX Dual-Cab
                    twin locked, canopy and racks, bars front and rear, camera and sensors, bashplates and snorkel, lift and 32's, long range tank, ecu tune and exhaust and many many memories...
                    15 PC Challenger, nudge bar, tow bar, arb roof rack, IPF spotties, uhf, lift, 32's on MN GLX alloys, ORS draw system, fridge and slide, arkpak and awning....so far.

Comment

• Pwoffey
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Adelaide

When I first filled my new 81L LRA auxiliary tank I got almost 83L into it. Since then I haven't ever managed more than 72L and that's transferring as much diesel from auxiliary to main tank as I can and with the Paj nose down and filling just about up to the top of the filler pipe. It's a bit hard to know when the aux tank is empty 'cos the little red empty light starts to flash, but then if you keep going it eventually stays on. The internal pump requires lubrication from the diesel to function and the instructions say NOT to operate the transfer pump with no fuel. I now stop transfer when the red light first flashes, just to be on the safe side.

I haven't done a Simpson crossing (yet!) and I expect fuel consumption will differ a lot depending on driver, weight of vehicle, route & detours, and state of the sand dunes etc. Just as a general guide, this is what Dave Cox at Mt Dare says:
                      ==========
                      FUEL
                      Work out when extra fuel is really needed and, only fill jerry cans when necessary. There's no need to carry more fuel just to save $5 or $10 at the pump, the extra weight will do more harm than good increasing wear and tear on the vehicle and tyres. Ask people who know for advice on how much fuel to carry in the outback area that you will be traveling in. The amount will vary depending on the type of 4x4 and if it is towing.

Fuel quantities to cross the Simpson are as follows,

Large 4x4 (Nissan Patrol) - Diesel 150L expect to use 100L - 125L, ULP 200L expect to use 130L-170L
                      Medium 4x4 (Toyota Prado) - Diesel 140L expect to use 95L - 120L, ULP 180L expect to use 120L-155L
                      Small 4x4 (Holden Colorado) - Diesel 130L expect to use 85L - 115L, ULP 160L expect to use 110L-140L
                      Tiny 4x4 (Suzuki Siera) - ULP 110L expect to use 65L - 95L

These quantities include LPG (if applicable) all fuel tanks and jerry cans. For example, a Landcruiser on Gas would have 90L of LPG and 90L of petrol and so would only need 1 -20L jerry can to total the 200L required.

If you are towing a camper trailer an additional 40L of Diesel and 60L of ULP would be required. We only recomment very experienced people with medium to large 4wd's attempt this. Travelling in a convoy with a vehicle that's not towing is also strongly recommended.
                      ========

Happy planning
                      BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• wasarangie
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2010
                        • Ocean Grove

I have a B/davis tank, 107lt. Often put 100 - 105 lt in at a fill. When tank was new it actually took 112lt from dry. when the light comes on the most I have driven is 115klm and still running.

I carry 2 jerry cans on the trailer and as Pwoffey stated only fill them when I have concerns about distance to next fuel.
                        SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• shortSteve
                          • Dec 2012
                          • Perth

Originally posted by Pwoffey View Post
                          When I first filled my new 81L LRA auxiliary tank I got almost 83L into it. Since then I haven't ever managed more than 72L and that's transferring as much diesel from auxiliary to main tank as I can and with the Paj nose down and filling just about up to the top of the filler pipe. It's a bit hard to know when the aux tank is empty 'cos the little red empty light starts to flash, but then if you keep going it eventually stays on. The internal pump requires lubrication from the diesel to function and the instructions say NOT to operate the transfer pump with no fuel. I now stop transfer when the red light first flashes, just to be on the safe side.

I haven't done a Simpson crossing (yet!) and I expect fuel consumption will differ a lot depending on driver, weight of vehicle, route & detours, and state of the sand dunes etc. Just as a general guide, this is what Dave Cox at Mt Dare says:
                          ==========
                          FUEL
                          Work out when extra fuel is really needed and, only fill jerry cans when necessary. There's no need to carry more fuel just to save $5 or $10 at the pump, the extra weight will do more harm than good increasing wear and tear on the vehicle and tyres. Ask people who know for advice on how much fuel to carry in the outback area that you will be traveling in. The amount will vary depending on the type of 4x4 and if it is towing.

Fuel quantities to cross the Simpson are as follows,

Large 4x4 (Nissan Patrol) - Diesel 150L expect to use 100L - 125L, ULP 200L expect to use 130L-170L
                          Medium 4x4 (Toyota Prado) - Diesel 140L expect to use 95L - 120L, ULP 180L expect to use 120L-155L
                          Small 4x4 (Holden Colorado) - Diesel 130L expect to use 85L - 115L, ULP 160L expect to use 110L-140L
                          Tiny 4x4 (Suzuki Siera) - ULP 110L expect to use 65L - 95L

These quantities include LPG (if applicable) all fuel tanks and jerry cans. For example, a Landcruiser on Gas would have 90L of LPG and 90L of petrol and so would only need 1 -20L jerry can to total the 200L required.

If you are towing a camper trailer an additional 40L of Diesel and 60L of ULP would be required. We only recomment very experienced people with medium to large 4wd's attempt this. Travelling in a convoy with a vehicle that's not towing is also strongly recommended.
                          ========

Happy planning
                          Cheers for that, had read it previously, and I am sure my calcs are on the safe side, just always a worry when you are a few litres short hahaha
                          MY13 Triton GLX Dual-Cab
                          twin locked, canopy and racks, bars front and rear, camera and sensors, bashplates and snorkel, lift and 32's, long range tank, ecu tune and exhaust and many many memories...
                          15 PC Challenger, nudge bar, tow bar, arb roof rack, IPF spotties, uhf, lift, 32's on MN GLX alloys, ORS draw system, fridge and slide, arkpak and awning....so far.

Comment

• shortSteve
                            • Dec 2012
                            • Perth

Originally posted by wasarangie View Post
                            I have a B/davis tank, 107lt. Often put 100 - 105 lt in at a fill. When tank was new it actually took 112lt from dry. when the light comes on the most I have driven is 115klm and still running.

I carry 2 jerry cans on the trailer and as Pwoffey stated only fill them when I have concerns about distance to next fuel.
                            Well, I am on 120km since reserve, the guage doesn't budge when the vehicle is stopped/turned on, and is still going...

Can't be long now!
                            MY13 Triton GLX Dual-Cab

Comment

• shortSteve
                              • Dec 2012
                              • Perth

ok, have the answers now... Only got down the road before it started spluttering, 125km since reserve light came on. Put 10L in it from the jerry can, drove straight to servo (just over 10kms) and fill took 91L. So, tank has a usable volume, in my car, of 100Litres. somewhere around 85-87L before reserve light comes on. Seems the last 10 or so Litres is unusable with the current tank/pickup arrangement. Pretty close to what I expected, woulda maybe liked another 5L but not gonna change things in the big scheme of planning.
                              So for the Simpson trip, gives me a guaranteed 120L with 1 jerry can. So by my calculations, as long as my sand fuel economy is better than 20L/100km average, will not have any problems with only 1 jerry can.
                              Will take a long beach run next weekend to get an idea of actual sand economy, but pretty sure my initial calcs of 15-17L/100km will be accurate

sS
                              MY13 Triton GLX Dual-Cab

Comment

• itsamitsi
                                Valued Member
                                • Aug 2015
                                • Hervey Bay Queensland

Originally posted by shortSteve View Post
                                Have gone with an Outback Accessories 112L tank, will see how it all goes when I get it fitted in a couple of weeks

sS
                                Hey Steve, I have spoken to Outback accessories and they don't have a tank for the PB/PC Challenger. Is the one you had fitted in a Chally or Triton? It appears only BD have one for the Challenger that I can find and I'm looking at main replacement not an auxiliary in the back type.
                                Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X