X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wazza1965
    • Mar 2011
    • Brisbane

Thank you for some really terrific info guys. Building a new plenum is definitely for another time down the track. Time and crazy amount of dollars disapearing very fast. Just want to get her back together and running. Engine back in today and hopefully fired up tomorrow with temporary cold side plumbing. Back to Les at Fat pipes to make the 3" mandrel airbox to inlet and outlet to intercooler plumbing. Then back to setup control gear etc and many hours of tuning on the dyno to go. Want to get approx 5k on her before starting to wind her up to see what numbers she can make. Will post many more build pics over the weekend. Thank you once again for all your help and advice.
    NM2002 Exceed DID. Safari Snorkel, Garrett GTX2863R Turbo, HPD Intercooler, Synergy / Turbosmart controllers, Mandrel 3" Exhaust Pyro, Built auto, ECB Bar with 12,000lb Winch & Dyneema rope, Rotronic battery system, 2x 120Amp/h AGM AUX batteries, Lovell 2", Airbags, Rhino AT2012, Fiamma Awning. 4x IPF spots 120w HID inserts. Alpine NAV Bluetooth with Type R sound system, UHF Uniden UH8080NB, Couplertec. Rear draw system, 1500w inverter. ARB twin comp / tank, ARB Locker. Evakool. NASA BM-1.

Comment

• Mcreight911
      • Jun 2013
      • South Burnett, QLD

No worries wazz I'm good at spending other peoples money . Keep us informed with every new development I think the performance of this setup is gona really surprise people, in a good way
      2.8 Mk triton, Vnt turbo , front mount intercooler, 2.75" exhaust ,ipf 70w hid spotties, 50w hid projector retro fitted headlights. 2 inch arb/sax lift . 2 inch body lift

Comment

• kiwi1973
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2012
        • New Zealand

I will be following this thread with great interest. I saw you mentioned having had the auto rebuilt twice. Did it die, or did you have it rebuilt to prepare it for the added torque gained from previous engine mods you've done? Do you have a feel for how much torque the auto can handle stock?
        2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• MatthewP
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2014
          • North of Brisbane

The link below is for a thread about modified intake manifolds on turbo diesel Patrols.

I know that it doesn't directly apply to us, but there is ALOT of general info about volumes and turbulence and flow.

It would be well worth reading before looking into custom intake plenums.

Matt
          05 NP Pajero Platinum 3.2DID Auto

Comment

• Mcreight911
            • Jun 2013
            • South Burnett, QLD

Any one wanting to modify there manifold needs to read the patrol form link mattp put up . It's pure gold . The patrol form member Oldmav (Peter) is were I receive my advice regarding front entry plenum designs .
            2.8 Mk triton, Vnt turbo , front mount intercooler, 2.75" exhaust ,ipf 70w hid spotties, 50w hid projector retro fitted headlights. 2 inch arb/sax lift . 2 inch body lift

Comment

• wazza1965
              • Mar 2011
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by Mcreight911 View Post
              No worries wazz I'm good at spending other peoples money . Keep us informed with every new development I think the performance of this setup is gona really surprise people, in a good way
              Hey Mcreight should get you together with my wife. She is good at doing the same lol. Engine has been run up and sounds really strong with temp piping on. Currently running off the 14lb actuator. Tilt trayed up to Les and Scott at Fat pipes this morning who are currently making the mandrel piping for the air box to turbo and turbo to front mount intercooler. Also re running the biggest lump of mandrel bent downpipe from the turbo to the rear to keep EGT's as low as possible. Should hopefully drive the old girl back to Rob and Westy at Brisbane dyno on Wednesday to setup boost controllers etc. and preliminary tune. Hopefully all going well I should have her back Wednesday afternoon to get some miles up before we can go to town.
              NM2002 Exceed DID. Safari Snorkel, Garrett GTX2863R Turbo, HPD Intercooler, Synergy / Turbosmart controllers, Mandrel 3" Exhaust Pyro, Built auto, ECB Bar with 12,000lb Winch & Dyneema rope, Rotronic battery system, 2x 120Amp/h AGM AUX batteries, Lovell 2", Airbags, Rhino AT2012, Fiamma Awning. 4x IPF spots 120w HID inserts. Alpine NAV Bluetooth with Type R sound system, UHF Uniden UH8080NB, Couplertec. Rear draw system, 1500w inverter. ARB twin comp / tank, ARB Locker. Evakool. NASA BM-1.

Comment

• wazza1965
                • Mar 2011
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by kiwi1973 View Post
                I will be following this thread with great interest. I saw you mentioned having had the auto rebuilt twice. Did it die, or did you have it rebuilt to prepare it for the added torque gained from previous engine mods you've done? Do you have a feel for how much torque the auto can handle stock?
                Hi Kiwi

First rebuild was because a heap of teeth decided they would feel much more comfortable in other locations rather than the gear set so was fully rebuilt. Second was I was concerned with the torque we started to put out so we got a new torque converter built and combined with the shift kits and valve body should hopefully handle this built. The problem with these auto's unlike a Turbo 400 or Glide which tonnes of people have built and modified over the years and are tried and tested. You can give engine specs with these and have an box built to suit. Nobody can tell myself what the max these boxes can handle. The boost and MAF controller can at least let me run low boost/ fuel around town in theory saving fuel and load on the driveline then with a push of a button wind both up for a run at Willowbank etc if needed. Time will tell long term how it goes after we get enough miles on her.

Comment

• wazza1965
                  • Mar 2011
                  • Brisbane

Finally back in and sounding pretty good. A massive thank you to Les at Fatpipes for making another larger new dump and beautiful mandrel system right through to the rear. Also all the cold side plumbing in just one day. Back to the dyno this morning for Rob and Westy at Brisbane tuning to setup turbo smart gear, chips, tune etc. Preliminary run in on the dyno today then to myself for further run in from this afternoon. Cant wait.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• wazza1965
                    • Mar 2011
                    • Brisbane

So far so good just over 170hp on a very low 14lb for the run in tune. Feels awesome to drive. Will dump run in oil after 1000km move boost to around 22lb till 5000km then have some fun. Feels so good and responsive as this turbo is boosting from so low in the rev range. Just taking it easy till we can get some more miles on her and she loosens up a bit.

Comment

• rotare
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2007

Just curious how the HPD intercooler inlet and outlet pipes are rerouted past the radiator? Was looking at my Paj yesterday and there looked bugger all room to re-route the pipe work if fitting an aftermarket intercooler in front of the radiator.
                      2013 NW VRX

Comment

• Easykill1978
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2008
                        • Melbourne Vic

Originally posted by rotare View Post
                        Just curious how the HPD intercooler inlet and outlet pipes are rerouted past the radiator? Was looking at my Paj yesterday and there looked bugger all room to re-route the pipe work if fitting an aftermarket intercooler in front of the radiator.
                        cut some bigger holes/gaps
                        My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• Mcreight911
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Burnett, QLD

Originally posted by wazza1965 View Post
                          So far so good just over 170hp on a very low 14lb for the run in tune. Feels awesome to drive. Will dump run in oil after 1000km move boost to around 22lb till 5000km then have some fun. Feels so good and responsive as this turbo is boosting from so low in the rev range. Just taking it easy till we can get some more miles on her and she loosens up a bit.
                          now that's how it should have come from mitsubishi, 170hp on 14psi sounds very promising . How rich is the tune, 17:1 top end ? Life begins at 30psi wazz bring on 200hp+

Comment

• wazza1965
                            • Mar 2011
                            • Brisbane

Originally posted by rotare View Post
                            Hi Rotare
                            Sorry for the delay in my reply mate we have been getting some Kms up on the old girl. We have 1300km up on her now and looking forward to 5k so we can start winding her up a bit. It fits pretty well around either side of the radiator. Very neat but a real pain if you have a winch fitted. Very much worth the effort in fitting mate. If you need different pics please just ask .
                            All the best
                            Wazza
                            Attached Files

Comment

• rotare
                              Valued Member
                              • Nov 2007

Thanks Wazza for the pics. I wonder if there is more room around the radiator in your NM than my NW? I'll have another better look at the front of mine to see whether I'd be able to squeeze a 2.5inch pipe either side.

Cheers
                              2013 NW VRX

Comment

• wazza1965
                                • Mar 2011
                                • Brisbane

Originally posted by Mcreight911 View Post
                                now that's how it should have come from mitsubishi, 170hp on 14psi sounds very promising . How rich is the tune, 17:1 top end ? Life begins at 30psi wazz bring on 200hp+
                                LOL for sure Mc. Yes very happy with that from such a low boost level. Cant remember but is it 18lb max boost these this run from factory? The difference the new Garrett etc. makes is just incredible in how she drives. You have very positive boost from a very low 1300rpm. Only running her up to around 3500rpm max at this stage (not often) but she pulls very hard to there. Tune is definitely towards the lean side at this early stage. Not stressing her at all yet. Going to really let the rings etc. bed well in before push to hard. Have spent just on $20k so far between the engine and box so not risking her at all at this early stage. Upped the boost slightly to only 17lb after the last oil change. This GT2560R will top out at 36lbs (2.5 bar)but becomes more inefficient the closer you get to max so will see how we go. Would have to swap to a GT2860R to push past this but it would induce way to much lag. After we hit the 5000Kms she will spend a lot of time on the dyno to see what we can get from her.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X