Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

When DiD your NM/NP 3.2 Diesel injection pump needed replacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pmgraham
    • Nov 2012
    • Gold Coast

Originally posted by wazza1965 View Post
    My injector pump failed at just over 400k. I was getting a rough idle but ran fine just over idle and above. When it finally failed it dumped fuel causing huge black plume. New pump at just over $5k all good again.
    Same symptoms but at 168000 5700 to fix, map sensor shat itself 4 weeks later. Did 5k through the desert last year and have loved the flexibility of this car overall but no longer trust it.
    Paul

2005 NP GLX DID auto, TJM underbody protection, NESA GPS, DVD, camera, twin wheel carrier, king springs, lift, heavy duty tow, electric brake controller, tracklander rack, dual battery, Milford barrier, snorkel, secondary tank, tint, alloy front bar, narva spots, 265/75 BFG AT, JVC head unit, kicker splits, media player, stainless tank with electric pump

Comment

• pmgraham
      • Nov 2012
      • Gold Coast

Originally posted by Wils4x4 View Post
      I have read this thread with interest and can report a "similar" problem that the pros (of which I am NOT), reckon its fuel pump related.
      problem is only when engine cold - once in top gear (its an auto), if the revs fall to around 1500, then where a light touch of more throttle would promote a gear change, this does not happen. instead the car wallows along loosing revs and blowing clouds of black smoke, finally changes down and all good. same road in warm engine and all functions perfectly well. Pros have run with flight recorder on and no alarms shown when problem occurs - according to computer all is normal !
      I suspect the problem lies in the system that detects load on the engine. it is allocating the right amount of fuel, expecting the gear change, but no change happens.
      possibly a red herring, but the problem occurred immediately after a service, which was subsequently found to have over filled the engine oil, by some 2L.
      Dealer has washed his hands of problem - Fuel injection experts are not convinced its fuel pump related.
      HELP PLEASE !!!!ANYONE???
      Replaced fuel pump. Definitely needed doing but map sensor died with similar symptoms and no codes - cheaper fix but my mechanic went through all the possibilities before deciding on the cause.
      Paul

2005 NP GLX DID auto, TJM underbody protection, NESA GPS, DVD, camera, twin wheel carrier, king springs, lift, heavy duty tow, electric brake controller, tracklander rack, dual battery, Milford barrier, snorkel, secondary tank, tint, alloy front bar, narva spots, 265/75 BFG AT, JVC head unit, kicker splits, media player, stainless tank with electric pump

Comment

• DARKMAZE
        • Jul 2015
        • Belmont, Victoria

Originally posted by Hookie View Post
        As the recent purchaser of a 2004 with 280k on the odometer, this thread terrifies me. In fact, if I'd seen it prior, I probably wouldn't have bought it. 5k is almost half of what I spent on the entire vehicle. Aside from gambling on who has the best quality diesel, are there any steps that can be taken to avoid this catastrophic failure?
        Hookie, good reason to do some research before buying a used car about common problems / advice from owners. I purchased mine earlier this year with a little over 290km, but I knew full well about this being a possible issue, so I wasn't going to spend north of 10k on something unless I knew the pump had already been done, OR if it was common rail model (based on my investigation their pump is a quarter the cost, but they do have their own idiosyncrasies).

My purchase was made based on the fact my car was mostly long distance highway kms and had reasonable service history, so I guessed I'd get probably 12 months out of it before it went, and the price was offered based on my knowledge that this was going to happen sooner rather than later. Incidentally, I only got about 3 months, but they were high km driving, and I suspect the 'nail' was that the fuel filter was possibly not changed recently (service history after 220k is 'sketchy' and over 257k was missing).

On the flip side, your DiD will still be worth 'something' when you come to sell it, unlike the petrol, which for the same year model are comparatively worthless.

Comment

• Terryo
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Where ever we are parked, traveling full time

Originally posted by Hookie View Post
          As the recent purchaser of a 2004 with 280k on the odometer, this thread terrifies me. In fact, if I'd seen it prior, I probably wouldn't have bought it. 5k is almost half of what I spent on the entire vehicle. Aside from gambling on who has the best quality diesel, are there any steps that can be taken to avoid this catastrophic failure?
          To ease your mind a bit mine has 345k and still going strong. I may investigate the fuel pump overhaul as mentioned by Ghendo in one of your earlier threads as preventative maintenance as anything mechanical will not last forever. Planning on keeping this one as long as I can. Mine has a full service history since new so maybe good fuel and good servicing can prevent early failure.
          Will be getting a pre filter before a big trip next year that will no doubt mean filling up at some out of the way places.

Terry
          2015 NX GLX DiD,MM Steel bullbar, Ultimate Suspension 2” lift, King 9’ LED driving lights, Uniden UHF, TJM underbody protection, Engine Watchdog. Munji EGR delete cable.Dual battery. Ultra Guage, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter. KAON Cargo barrier. Drifta drawer and fridge slide. MM4x4 Automate Pro. In tow,Track Trailer T van.

Previously
          NH 1992 GLS 3.0 V6 13 years
          NP 2005 GLX 3.2 DiD 12 years

Comment

• Herman4x4
            Valued Member
            • Oct 2009
            • Melton, Victoria

Mine got 370k on it with no issue so far. I replace filter as required. Was my daily driver and was doing around 800 km a week, but now retired to tourer and play toy.
            I start it at least once a week to keep everything turning over and lubricated.
            So just because it's got high Kays doesn't mean the pump will go.
            Cheers,
            Andrew.
            Cheers,
            Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
            Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• Hookie
              • Dec 2015
              • Coffs Harbour

I did do research, found plenty about EGR valve blanking and diffs that fall apart while towing, but this fuel pump thing slipped through.
              It did only have one owner previously and he was anal about servicing and using what he believed was clean fuel, so that's a bit of a comfort. I guess that's my biggest problem, who the hell knows what fuel is good or not?
              I'll just stay on top of fuel filters and try to figure out where the best diesel is around here and if I do plan to keep it long term (I've only had it less than 2 weeks, but I like it so far and can see myself investing more in it) then I probably will also get the overhaul.
              SOLD - 2004 Exceed Di-D, 2" Lovells-Lovells lift, Boo's sump/intercooler/transmission guards, 4 way breather, dual batteries, General Grabber AT2s, Tough Toys LED awning

Comment

• sharkcaver
                "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                • May 2009
                • Perth

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
                How many km had you car done before needing a replacement pump?
                What were the main symptoms you experienced that were caused by the faulty pump?
                Just seen this old thread, so I will post an update.

192K.

No symptoms whatsoever. Returning from spending a few hours with efeinblatt (FFS Eric, you could have picked an easier user name to spell ), I had just spent 2 hours on the road and was coming into the township of Ravensthorpe. Slowed down to 50K's (the speed limit). Coasting down the hill, foot off the accelerator, the car just stalled and was never to restart again with this pump.

No CEL, but error code 48 was logged (GE Actuator). This is the electronic fuel governor, is internal to the pump, and by all accounts means either a rebuild or new. As the cost of refurbed over here was the same as new, so I elected to go new. At least new comes with all new speed sensors fitted.

Feb 2016 - Pump alone was $4700. Repair bill in total $5550.

Pumps are getting harder to obtain as they were only used on this engine apparently, hence stocking levels and cost. I had a 7 week wait for one ex Japan. There may come a day when new becomes a non entity.
                MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• mooche
                  • Apr 2016
                  • Sunshinecoast

Pump

Hi I hav just bought a injector pump for np from Ireland of all places
                  Delivered to my door with injectors and after exchange $2700
                  Not bad but have other problems as well long story

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by mooche View Post
                    Hi I hav just bought a injector pump for np from Ireland of all places
                    Delivered to my door with injectors and after exchange $2700
                    Not bad but have other problems as well long story
                    If you're at all inclined:

I'm sure there are a number of members who would love to know more.
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• mooche
                      • Apr 2016
                      • Sunshinecoast

Ok will start a thread on it just at work at the moment
                      Also more info on timing chain etc.
                      As hav been researching for good deal and found a good supplier/ mechanic for advice in all place Northern Ireland .
                      giv me day or so and will get it goin Thks Mooche

Comment

• CATs 4x4
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Centurion South Africa

Just to keep the stats ongoing. My pump failed at 298 000kms. No warning of imminent failure. Just started idling up and down and shortly thereafter stalled never to restart again.

CATS

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
                        2001 Pajero NM 3.2 DiD GLS LWB Manual
                        (Snoopy)Old Man Emu heavy duty suspension-now on Iron man, 265/75/16 BFG A/T tyres, ARB Sahara bar, Warn winch, KC Daylighter and Hella spots, 3 aux Batteries, ARB aircompressor, Safari Snorkel, Outback Roofrack, on board EGT and Tyre Pressure gauge. Factory rear difflock standard :-) - Sadly sold and missed dearly.
                        2008 Pajero NS 3.2 DiDc GLS LWB Auto(Sylvester)-SOLD
                        2009 Pajero NS 3.2 DiDc GLS LWB Auto(Casper)

Comment

• mooche
                          • Apr 2016
                          • Sunshinecoast

Exactly what mine did!
                          Just fitted it went to do injectors and timing chain guide and found a broken rocker arm no guide there the saga continues!

Comment

• Lance
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2009
                            • Melbourne

Injector pumps can obviously become a problem as vehicles creep up in mileage.
                            What steps can Joe Bloggs take to lower the risk of pump failure ?
                            2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
                            2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• mooche
                              • Apr 2016
                              • Sunshinecoast

Apparently Lismore diesel can service them for about $1500
                              Before ther crap themselves.
                              There is still 6hrs labour to takeout and reinstall with that as well.

Comment

• MatthewP
                                Valued Member
                                • Jul 2014
                                • North of Brisbane

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                                Injector pumps can obviously become a problem as vehicles creep up in mileage.
                                What steps can Joe Bloggs take to lower the risk of pump failure ?
                                I don't know if it will make a difference, but I add castrol activ 2T 2 stroke oil into the diesel at 200:1 ratio. for extra lubrication.

I also try and not let the fuel tank get too low before refilling, because since the pump is lubricated by the diesel, I don't want the pump drawing in aerated diesel foam, instead of diesel.

Many people have added a second fuel filter for peace of mind.

Matt
                                05 NP Pajero Platinum 3.2DID Auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X