Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Camping /Caravan Parks/ Campers

Camping /Caravan Parks/ Campers It's all about the great outdoors. What you have and where you stayed.

Old 02-08-13

Default Central Australia

Just got back from a 2 week trip to Central Australia/Northern SA.

Did 5000km from Adelaide to Coober Pedy, Ayers Rock, Kings Canyon, Palm Valley (via Mereenie Loop as Ernest Giles was closed due to flooding), Alice Springs, Lambert Centre (via Rainbow Valley and Kulgera), Mt Dare, Dalhousie Springs and the Oodnadatta Track (camping at Algebuckina Water Hole and Farina on the way down).

The mate (and his family) who I was travelling with has been up that way a few times and said that he can't remember some of the roads being so bad (north of Dalhousie) - they had a lot of rain the week before we went through and it seemed to have taken all of the soil off of the roads and just left the rocks sticking out - not much fun.

Once we hit the Oodnadatta Track it was easy going though - I was pleasantly surprised how good it was.

Also, the track into the Lambert Centre was corrugated to buggery - even found a spare tyre carrier (complete with wheel, jack and shovel) in the middle of the track - turned out it had fallen off a Landcruiser that was already at the Centre when we arrived - apparently the welds had let go which doesn't really suprise me. He drove off the next morning with it strapped to his roof rack.

This was my first real run on outback tracks in the Paj and it was GREAT - (Paj didn't miss a beat) especially as the country was in great nick due to the rain - just want to get going again - would love to spend more time exploring the Oodnadatta track and the surrounding areas! I think a trip to Birdsville is on the cards and would like to have a look at the Gawler Ranges.

The tent we use is a Blackwolf Turbo240 but it is a pain to get back into the original bag so I had a new bag made (only $50) that is a bit bigger than the original and zips all the way open (see photos). This made it easier to pack up but probably wouldn't suit if you carry the tent inside your car - I stuck it on the roof rack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Palm Valley Camp Ground.JPG (161.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg NT 2013 Rainbow Valley.JPG (104.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Lambert Centre.JPG (103.9 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Tent Bag 2.JPG (163.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg NT 2013 Tent Bag.JPG (138.0 KB, 80 views)
Old 04-08-13
Valued Member

Nice trip you got in, was two weeks long enough.
Some of those places and the Simpson are next on the list.
MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.
Old 06-08-13

Two weeks was nowhere near long enough. Would love to have unlimited time (and money) for this sort of travel!

I was just speaking to a bloke at work who headed north at the same time as me but went up the Oodnadatta Track and through to Mt Dare and Finke - they copped a heap of rain - he has some great photos of mud, mud and more mud.

He also went north east of Alice out to Gemtree and then down the Hay River Track which really does sound like a great trip - one fgor the "to do" list.
Old 06-08-13
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

Nice trip and timely too. Currently planning my trip out that way in 4 weeks time. But I don't like mud, so stay away rain. Thanks for posting

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys