Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories

Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories Discussion of after-market extras: winches, bull bars, tow bars (and Towing), roof racks, snorkels, and other cool stuff

View Poll Results: Winch?
Take it 10 50.00%
Leave it 10 50.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-19
Valued Member

Default Poll for Central Australia travellers... Winch: Take it or leave it.

G'day everyone,

In my last poll I put it up to the many experienced forumites to vote on whether to take 1 or 2 spares on my trip, which as per previous poll is: "Doing 7,000km from Sydney, Longreach, Plenty Hwy, Uluru / Palm Valley / Kings Canyon, Chambers Pillar, Finke, Mt Dare, Oodnadatta, Marree, Flinders, Adelaide then home. Leaving in 4 weeks." Thanks to everyone who voted and I've now settled on 1 spare tyre plus tyre repair kit. Travelling with 1 other vehicle.

Departure day is fast approaching. Leaving in 5 days.

I've had my Warn Tabor winch out for cleaning, derusting, new parts and now reassembled with synthetic rope as opposed to steel cable. I've been doing it more for enjoyment than in readiness for my trip.

I have the dilemma of deciding whether it's worth carting 20+ kilos of winch around for this kind of trip. My gut feeling is that for the locations we're travelling, a winch is not likely to be required particularly if it's dry and is only extra weight on the bullbar (therefore increased wear and tear) over potentially many miles of corrugations.

So again, I'm leaving it to the combined wisdom of the forum. If you've travelled in these locations please chip in... If you had the option (i.e. your winch was already out BUT it would only take you 20mins or so to put back in), would you take it or leave it? I've just cable tied up all the loose cables behind the bullbar and of course disconnected it at the battery.. there's a hole where the fairlead would go.. I can whack the alloy fairlead on or leave it open for better airflow.
Old 09-09-19
Resident

I agree that there is little chance you will find yourself in a situation needing a winch on the trip you describe, but I voted take it - for two reasons.

1. It's like insurance - you'll only need it when you don't have it.
2. How will your front suspension perform without all that weight hanging out in front of the front axle?

If you're comfortable that you have sufficient other means of self recovery (e.g. Maxtrax) and your suspension won't be too high / too stiff without that extra weight, leave it at home.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 09-09-19
Valued Member

Highly unlikely that you will need it but since you got it and have spent the time and money on the refurbish, and your intending is to refit it at sometime, I would just refit it

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 09-09-19
Valued Member

I voted no - given the choice, I would feel much more comfortable with the 2nd spare rather than the winch on a trip to those areas. As you have another vehicle to assist with a snatch if needed (Maxtracks would be far more useful & perhaps not that many strong trees to winch off in some of those areas?), but millions of very sharp stones & rocks just waiting for an unlucky tyre (or two - no tyre is bullet proof & a failure often means a detour or gamble to keep going with no spare). Is the other vehicle using the same wheels & tyres? If so, you can share spares, reducing the need for 2nd spare (but test fit to make sure unless it is similar to your car.

Have a great trip!
Old 09-09-19
Valued Member

I have just completed a NT/SA outback trip (will report once I have cleaned the vehicles ) taking in quite a bit of what you intend to do. Very, very unlikely you will need to use a winch and even less likely there will be a suitable winch point available (except for another vehicle). At both Old Andado and at Dalhousie we heard reports of several vehicles (towing) who got bogged in long and deep stretches of bulldust holes north of Mt Dare on the Binns Track but were retrieved by light snatch and/or maxtrax. What we DID see was a LOT of punctured tyres and in fact one of my group punctured a camper tyre outside of William Creek on the OT. So in addition to a good spare and a repair kit it would be an idea to have tyre pressure monitor so that you catch a puncture early. My friend caught his when the pressure had dropped to 20 psi and was able to do a controlled stop with little damage to the tyre. The rocky tracks will quickly shred a tyre so you want to get onto it as soon as possible. I'm with spot01, I reckon if you have room a second spare is better use of weight on such a trip than a winch, because if you rip a sidewall, it won't be repairable and then you are totally dependent on your last good tyre.

Have great trip (be prepared for strong, dust-laden winds, much of the country is as dry as chips).
BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Lightforce 170 Halogen driving lights, Brown Davis i/c and sump bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD oil catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker
Old 09-09-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwoffey View Post
I have just completed a NT/SA outback trip (will report once I have cleaned the vehicles ) taking in quite a bit of what you intend to do. Very, very unlikely you will need to use a winch and even less likely there will be a suitable winch point available (except for another vehicle). At both Old Andado and at Dalhousie we heard reports of several vehicles (towing) who got bogged in long and deep stretches of bulldust holes north of Mt Dare on the Binns Track but were retrieved by light snatch and/or maxtrax. What we DID see was a LOT of punctured tyres and in fact one of my group punctured a camper tyre outside of William Creek on the OT. So in addition to a good spare and a repair kit it would be an idea to have tyre pressure monitor so that you catch a puncture early. My friend caught his when the pressure had dropped to 20 psi and was able to do a controlled stop with little damage to the tyre. The rocky tracks will quickly shred a tyre so you want to get onto it as soon as possible. I'm with spot01, I reckon if you have room a second spare is better use of weight on such a trip than a winch, because if you rip a sidewall, it won't be repairable and then you are totally dependent on your last good tyre.

Have great trip (be prepared for strong, dust-laden winds, much of the country is as dry as chips).
Sounds like a spare air filter & regular "tap outs" would be prudent (never use compressed air or wash these)
If the cabin a/c starts to struggle, "tap out" the cabin filter also. Some have suggested the cabin filter can be washed (I kept the one they removed at last service but haven't tried this yet as it wasn't very dirty)

PS - I agree with running a TPMS, as I have used one for many years & if it saves only one tyre it has paid it's way, not to mention the safety & inconvenience. I also carry a can of tyre seal in case I need to fix a leak when I don't have the time (or desire in poor conditions) to change a tyre (but don't put the sensor back on with goo in the tyre).
Old 09-09-19
Valued Member

Only places I,ve really had to use a winch have been beaches, mud and tree removal. My work vehicles all had winches fitted for outback recovery, if needed. Did many k,s in central Oz country and on many tracks people wont get a permit to travel. Never needed the winch ...and I know other blokes who also never used their winch in this type of country. Leave the winch and take a second tyre carcass. Even though I always had 2 spares it was rare to get a flat or buggered tyre. 20kg of tyre is better than 20kg of winch in the areas you intend to travel. Good luck and enjoy the trip. Once you get into it you will find that it hey are not really difficult roads to travel.

ITS ALL ABOUT TYRE PRESSURE AND SPEEDS TO MATCH THE ROADS/TRACKS.

Old 10-09-19
Valued Member

Thank you for all your excellent responses as usual. I am leaning towards leaving it, in line with current voting of 6 to 5 (leaving to taking), and now I'm considering taking a second tyre carcass haha. 4 days til departure, will update accordingly. Many thanks for all your well wishes on the trip, can't wait and hopefully not too dusty. Taking a spare air filter just in case, since I still have a bit of room for such things and it ain't heavy.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Default Poll for Central Australia travellers... Winch: Take it or leave it.

Assuming I donít change my mind and install the winch tonight, can anybody see any issues in travelling without the fairlead on, as far as damage goes. As far as odds go itís low but when passing other cars on gravel roads, a stone could be kicked up by the passing car and just happen to get in there. Itís a decent sized hole. But on the flip side it would promote good airflow. I do have some gauze I could put over it and just put the bolts in to hold it in place. Opinions welcomed on this matter. Leaving in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Bump but only because Iím leaving in the morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk