• Show
Clear All
  • marcthelegend
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2008
    • Gosnells, WA

Replacing companion shaft / clips

Hi all,

Have read that this type of problem happens again and again and again, so thoguht I would do my first write up to this forum.

Had the companion shaft pop out around 10k's from home (lucky!) So decided instead of paying towing fees etc. to have mitsubishi repair it, I decided to tackle it myself (daring lol!)

First thing was to get all the parts together. Mitusbishi was the place to call for that, circlip was 4 dollars and seal was 40 dollars, had to pay 20 dollars extra because I needed them ASAP.

When all the parts arrive, just leave them aside somewhere and your ready to get started!

First thing is to get the pajero off the ground just enough to be comfortable and to get the wheel off the ground! I found the best method for me was to put a chassis stand in the center of the paj just after the rear diff and then to use the jack with a brick to lift the wheel off the ground (helps to rotate the bolts to make for easier access)
    Below is a photo to show you my method which I find works the best.

With the above method, you leave the jack in the lowered position, undo the one bolt that you can get to (i only could get at one thanks to the large breaker bar) then jack the tyre off the ground and spin it to the next bolt, undo that one and repeat until they are all done.
    I can tell you now, you will NOT be able to do this with a spanner or a ratchet! The best method for me was to drown the bolts in WD40 and use a 1 meter long breaker bar on the end of my high strength Ratchet, took me nearly an hour to undo all 6 of the little bastards but got it done in the end!
    NOTE: You more than likely will get bolts that just keep spinning around and around, best method is to use another ratchet (must be a small one) and extend it with the smaller breaker bar and wedge it against the floor so that you can undo the big bolt, and not have to worry about the small bolt!

When I got to the end, before undoing removing the last bolt, I tied the drive shaft onto the suspension components to prevent any damage to the CV's etc.

Once I got the last bolt off, the shaft just stayed there and was easy to move out of the way, then using the breaker bar, you can pry the companion shaft from the diff.

This is a shot of everything after I got the companion shaft out.

This is the inner workings of the diff, note that around the edges, the gasket is completely stuffed.

This is the O ring on the shaft which I replaced with a new one from Mitsubishi.

And this is the companion shaft once removed.

After that, I took the old ring off the shaft and installed the new ring (only went for the same size one because I didnt have enough cash for new shafts etc.

Now to remove the dreaded seal .. I can tell you now it is an absolute B***H to remove because it is in there with so much force, but thanks to this forum, I found a pry bar was best, also good idea to use the groove that is at the top (easy to find using a torch) and just lever it out, I couldnt use the groove the whole time, so I got a flat bladed screwdriver and turned it side to side, in the end it will come out.

New seal is simple to install once you find out how, best method for me was to put heaps of oil on the seal and where it is going to go, I used the diff oil because I didnt want to contaminate anything with grease etc. but unsure whether grease would be safe?
    Then I used a wooden block to get it to sit solidly and hit it around the edges with a rubber mallet, took me around 10 - 15 hits until it sat correctly.

After that its time to put back the companion shaft back in, this was easy, just push the shaft back into the diff, then turn it until it slots in a little more and is solidly connected to the diff (it will have hardly any play left) and then just bash the thing in!! (this is the best time to release any bottled up anger with the whole thing! just dont get carried away lol) took me 5 hard bashes and it slid right in .. then I bashed it some more to make sure it was seated properly, and tried to pull it back out (it shouldnt come out) which it didnt, so I was satisfied it was done

After that you have to lift the drive shaft and line up one of the bolt holes and do up the first bolt, then do the other five up as well, make sure to tighten them ALL up as much as they were when you removed them!

Then fill the diff up again just so that the oil starts coming out of the filler hole, i didnt change the oil because I replaced it only a few days before-hand, but normally you would want to drain all the oil and fill it up fresh again.

Then all should be done, just clean everything up and the paj is ready to go again!

I hope this helps some people should the problem arise!

Regards

Marc
    Last edited by marcthelegend; 05-08-09, 03:13 AM.
    05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
    brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)
  • sikhabib
    • Dec 2007

great writeup mate

hopefully i WONT need to use it one day lol

Comment

• brianwanless
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2008
      • Mackay Nth Qld

Good work mate, a picture is worth a thousand words, and yours are great.
      NP did, auto, mags, aux tank, bullbar, hid spots, leds, uhf, engine watchdog, safari chip, anderson plug, fridge socket, gps, snorkel, airbags, sidesteps, dual batteries, hr towbar, brake controller, torque convertor lockup switch, slotted discs, stainless braided brake hoses, led rev lights.

Comment

• aldavnic
        • Aug 2007
        • Pakenham

Graet write up mate. I just did this whole process on both sides on the weekend. Just a question though. Do your companion shafts still have any play in and out from the diff once installed? My still play in and out though not as bad with the new shafts and clips.I did find with the suspension compressed under normal load they dont move much but if you lift the bum with a jack under the diff it increases a fair bit. The play on one side could be as much as 5mm .Or as little as 1-2 mm.They dont seem to want to pull out and took some force to get in. Any thoughts?
        Thanks Dave
        NM V6,Exceed BFG MTs ,Injected Gas, Proficency course,GME TX3100 UHF , 2 inch lift, Pace Maker Headers ,Dobinsons.Navigation Course (still lost) Rola Roof Racks, Proficency Plus course.

Comment

• marcthelegend
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2008
          • Gosnells, WA

Think it might be normal, looks like the clip is a few mm from what actually holds it in, wasnt hard to get the old one out, took very little effort, am a little unsure why it happens though? I have located the exact point where it came out, and it was on the way home from 4x4ing, we have this road, limit is 70, i MIGHT have been doing around 75 along it, not sure though, anyway it goes downhill then takes a sudden drop of say 10cms and then goes dead straight again, heard a thump when i hit this, so that gave me the idea to check it out, got under and saw all the oil, turns out i lost only 150mls of oil, so this supports my idea of where it happened.

Personally I think it is quiet dodgy that it just 'falls out' even when doing normal driving on a normal road (as in no corrugations or rocks etc). Next time it happens, off to mitsu, just needed the paj in a hurry and couldnt wait for mitsu to book it in etc.

Regards

Marc
          05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:

Comment

Originally posted by aldavnic View Post
            Graet write up mate. I just did this whole process on both sides on the weekend. Just a question though. Do your companion shafts still have any play in and out from the diff once installed? My still play in and out though not as bad with the new shafts and clips.I did find with the suspension compressed under normal load they dont move much but if you lift the bum with a jack under the diff it increases a fair bit. The play on one side could be as much as 5mm .Or as little as 1-2 mm.They dont seem to want to pull out and took some force to get in. Any thoughts?
            Thanks Dave
            Will someone please tell me what the "CLIP" associated with this companion is i keep hearing n reading about????

Comment

• marcthelegend
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2008
              • Gosnells, WA

As far as I have been able to gather, the clips are under-sized from factory, when towing, the extra pressure on the rear end has a tendancy to give the shafts a little more play and that can cause them to move a little too far and they let go, then the shaft comes out a little, that causes the clips to stay there compressed which causes them to further shrink in size and then they're pretty much useless. The upgraded clips are too large to fit on the standard shafts, thus the need for new shafts as well.

Cheers

Marc

To-do:

Comment

• GERRY5150
                • Apr 2009

Hi Marc, is there a replacement clips that are the right size for the old shaft? or a new shaft is requited? My NP is out of warranty and Mitsubishi quote me $650.00 for a new shaft...!!!

Cheers

Gerry

Comment

• sharkcaver
                  "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                  • May 2009
                  • Perth

Originally posted by GERRY5150 View Post
                  Hi Marc, is there a replacement clips that are the right size for the old shaft? or a new shaft is requited? My NP is out of warranty and Mitsubishi quote me $650.00 for a new shaft...!!!

Cheers

Gerry
                  Unfortunately new shafts are required as the machined groove is larger to accommodate the oversize spring clip.

Shane.
                  MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Brettm357
                    • Nov 2009

I still have a copy of the hotline fix if anyone wants a copy
                    2001 NM EXCEED 3.5L AUTO, 2 INCH LIFT WITH BILSTEIN/LOVELLS SD RAISED COMBO, K&N 60L LONG RANGE TANK, ALLOY BULLBAR. ARB COMPRESSOR, PIRAHNA BATTERY TRAY, PROJECTA ISOLATOR, DUAL BATTERIES - ON LIST IS ENGEL FRIDGE, REAR WORK LIGHTS, FRONT DIFF LOCK, EXTRACTORS & HIGH FLOW CAT

Comment

• Diesel Power
                      • Mar 2009
                      • Brisbane

Brett that would be great, I have a mate who has just had his fail and the local Mitsu dealer doesnt want to know so far.

Cheers
                      Scott

Comment

• sierra
                        • Jan 2010

If the short shaft wont come out of the diff try rotating it and try again, the clip could be hung up.
                        The C clip could be modified slightly by expanding it a bit but if you do that also turn the last few mm, either end, in a bit with pliers to help it to come out next time.
                        Always put the gap to the top when you refit it and if it's still tricky use a little grease to centralise it.
                        Any suspension lift will risk the balls in the inner cv joint hitting the retaining clip at full travel which will pull it out of the diff.

Comment

• nifty
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Brettm357 View Post
                          I still have a copy of the hotline fix if anyone wants a copy

I'd like a copy please Brett. Car getting a MAJOR service on Tues prior to long tow trip. Might ask MM to look at it Tues too.

Comment

• Diesel Power
                            • Mar 2009
                            • Brisbane

Awesome, thanks for that Brett, I will pass that on to my mate and see if he can kick a goal with MM

Cheers
                            Scott

Comment

• rojodo
                              • Aug 2008
                              • Wagga Wagga, NSW

Thanks for all the tips guys,

after suffering a blow out and reading up on what was needed, I utilised this thread to have a go myself.
                              As was stated here, you will need a long bar on the ratchet to loosen the 14/16mm bolts.
                              Seals looked okay so left them alone.
                              Installed the upgraded companion shafts, so all up took me around 4 hours (longest bit was refilling the diff oil) with limited knowledge.

2 new shafts @ $150 each & $45 of Diff oil (2.5 litres left over) = $350 total.

Best bit.... no waiting time and I am back on the road

thanks
                              Ron

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X