• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Menace
    • Jun 2015
    • Adelaide

99 nl pajero 3.5 petrol flooding

Hi everyone, I have been trying to figure out why me mother in-laws nl wont start, i believe it is flooding because it coughs and sputters and shoots out black smoke when it finally does decide to start. It cranks over fine. Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you...
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

Does it end up running alright once going, or just stays coughing and spluttering and wont run right at all?

Comment

• Menace
      • Jun 2015
      • Adelaide

coughs and splutters for a few seconds then runs fine...

Comment

• stumagoo
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • Perth WA S.O.R

I would be checking plugs leads and coils..... but the issue is unless someone is there looking at it specifically internet Diagnosis is very hit and miss
        1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
        *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
        1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• Menace
          • Jun 2015
          • Adelaide

there is a strong smell of petrol while cranking and just after starting.

Comment

• Scrambler
            • Jul 2018
            • Toowoomba, Qld

Originally posted by Menace View Post
            That wants checking. I'd start it then turn it immediately off and go looking for the petrol. If the smell is that strong its a serious problem.
            =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
            =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

• Scrambler
              • Jul 2018
              • Toowoomba, Qld

Originally posted by Menace View Post
              That wants checking. I'd start it then turn it immediately off and go looking for the petrol. If the smell is that strong its a serious problem.

The safer option would be to get it towed to a mechanics and pay them to find the leak.

I'm no mechanical guru but it sounds like its pouring fuel out of the injection system during the starting cycle with flow slowing when running more smoothly (due to manifold vacuum???). The lean start is causing the poor running. After that the electronic management keeps things running measuring exhaust gasses.

Imho.
              =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
              =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

Where do you smell th petrol? Front or back. IF it is back, the mixture is too rich. This is likely leaking injectors. Start the engine (when it finally does fire and wait until the engine clears its throat and idels smoothly. Then sut it down and leave it for 5 minutes and try again.. If it splutters madly again, it is the injectors leaking into the intake manifold.

If you smell petrol at the front of the car, it is an external leak and certainly need attention.

I would tend to discount ignition problems at this stage. Failing ignition leads or plugs can cause unburnt fuel in the exhaust, but they would probably continue to fail after the engine has started and hence I tend to rule this out as a cause at this stage.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X