• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gemster
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2012
    • Gold Coast

I have seen a few re-built 3.5's blow a head gasket not long after a re-build...

I have spoken to several top-notch engine re-builders in Brisbane and they ALL will not touch a 3.5 for that same reason of blowing head gaskets.... There is a fellow at Toowoomba somewhere that re-builds them for around $3500.... He was on Ebay...
    Why don't you want to go the '380' 3.8 conversion?

Gemster.....
    YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
    And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
    ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• disco stu
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2018
      • Wollongong

Originally posted by gemster View Post
      I have seen a few re-built 3.5's blow a head gasket not long after a re-build...

I have spoken to several top-notch engine re-builders in Brisbane and they ALL will not touch a 3.5 for that same reason of blowing head gaskets....
      Are the 3.5L meant to worse than the rest of the 6G7 family of engines, or are they all just as bad in this regard?

Comment

• gemster
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2012
        • Gold Coast

I don't think so as most said the '380' 3.8 was a far better option than a re-built 3.5...

Gemster...
        YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
        And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
        ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• disco stu
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2018
          • Wollongong

Interesting, good to know, cheers

Comment

• aussieguy
            • Oct 2015
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
            Are the 3.5L meant to worse than the rest of the 6G7 family of engines, or are they all just as bad in this regard?

many mechanics complain about the DOHC 6G75 but the SOHC 6G75 is fine, except if you want to change the plugs then you need to take to fuel system off, which is what the previous owners mechanic didn't do, they only changed the front 3 plugs. So... the rears electrode was so eroded that they no longer worked alot of the time, which is why the engine felt like it had done a head gasket. Also as you can guess oil was leaking into the plugs.

Some mechanics need to just do the job properly.
            05/97 NK 3.5L DOHC - DEAD
            02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• disco stu
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2018
              • Wollongong

Is the DOHC version the mivec? Have trouble keeping up with and differentiating all the different 6g7 engine versions

I don't know how some people can call themselves mechanics, or even look at themselves in the mirror. That sort of thing is why I don't really trust paying anyone for anything, if I want it done right I do it myself

Comment

• aussieguy
                • Oct 2015
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
                Is the DOHC version the mivec? Have trouble keeping up with and differentiating all the different 6g7 engine versions

I don't know how some people can call themselves mechanics, or even look at themselves in the mirror. That sort of thing is why I don't really trust paying anyone for anything, if I want it done right I do it myself

6G74 Mivec was only in the Evos

For the MIVEC, only available in the Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution, the output is 194 kW (264 PS; 260 hp) at 6,000 and 324 N⋅m (239 lbf⋅ft) at 4,500 rpm. It uses MFI fuel injection and uses forged steel connecting rods.
                02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• disco stu
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2018
                  • Wollongong

Hang on, are you talking about 6g74 DOHC or 6g75 DOHC?

6G74 Mivec was only in the Evos
                  many mechanics complain about the DOHC 6G75 but the SOHC 6G75 is fine
                  Wikipedia page says that only SOHC cam on the 6g75, and I gather no Mivec either, but I feel that is incorrect, especially when someone from California just posted that they put a 6g75 mivec in their NK

Comment

• aussieguy
                    • Oct 2015
                    • Brisbane

Meant 6g74 not 6g75.

6g75 had MIVEC engines more common.
                    02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• disco stu
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2018