• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Sharpe
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2000
    • Tasmania

Originally posted by motorazr View Post
    I have done a bit further research on fitting the temperature sender to the transmission. I had arranged for a transmission place to fit the sender for me but after stuffing me around a number of times I got the impression they were not interested.

Based on the gear ratios I believe the transmission fitted to the NL is an Aisin Warner A343F, I don’t know what others transmissions are like but mine has metal pipes running from the transmission to the cooler, which poses in itself the problem of fitting an inline temp sender as the pipes would have to be cut and a “t” put in place, and then the likely hood of getting a leak in 3 new places where it was joined.
    The aisin warner transmissions were supplied to Toyota and I was able to find on the net a number of references to a mod being done to the inlet / outlet pipe leading from the transmission similar to Pajero but on landcruisers. My NL does not have this pipe but it is available to purchase. Listed on some sites as #90407-16009 (outlet), #90407-14024 (inlet) and o rings #90301-11006.
    I do not know why but the inlet pipe is the one required as it has the additional junction to fit the transmission electronic temp sender fitted by MM into it.
    I originally purchased a vdo temp sender #320.006 however this may be too long to fit successfully to the pipe. I currently have on order a different shorter sender part number #320.020 which may be a better fit. I will update the thread once they are received and finally fitted.

The pipes are metal from the tranny but they then are joined to rubber hoses just under the radiator where they go into the tranny cooler . That’s where I put my inline fitting . Just get 2 10 or 8 mm barbed fittings ( can’t remember which) , one on each end of your threaded T piece & screw your sender into that . You don’t have to cut any metal pipes at all. The return line is the one on the passenger side looking up from the ground . The other one is the feed from the tranny to the cooler.
    NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
    NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• disco stu
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2018
      • Wollongong

Don't be too worried about leaks, especially if just tapping into the hoses rather than the metal pipes. I've just cut the metal pipes in the past and clamped hose onto them, without flaring the end, and never had an issue yet.

If the only cooler is the one built into the radiator, make sure you add second in front of radiator, or even better bypass the radiator one completely. Not sure what the Mitsubishi radiators are like, but it was the source of the creamy chocolate sauce in the cooling system of our falcon when water started leaking from water side to the transmission fluid side

Comment

• motorazr
        • Aug 2018
        • Adelaide

Recieved the new temp sender (320.020) which is about 1/3 the size of vdo part number 320.006, much better suited for the purpose.
        Attached Files

Comment

• M Roadster
          • Aug 2007
          • Melbourne, VIC

Have you looked at the Tough Dog temp alarm, I've got one to monitor engine temp, they also do one that does both the Engine temp and Gearbox temp. I would be monitoring both and not relying on the standard temp gauge for accurate engine temps.

I have mine set up to alarm at 95, this happens on hot days while idling with the aircon running. The alarm sounds and there is no noticable movement of the engine temp gauge. Having cooked an engine in the past because there was no warning, and when it did show up it was too late.

Cheers Mike

Comment

• motorazr
            • Aug 2018
            • Adelaide

Well finally got the sender fitted. The mechanic made up his own fitting and told me there wasnt much room once fitted. On my specific gearbox the electric sender is fitted to the transmission via its own socket.
            He fitted the larger sender to the outlet pipe which resulted in it being a tight squeeze.
            The guage is slow to respond with the guage needle moving only after the vehicle has been running for a while, usually sitting around the 90 mark.
            I havent towed anything yet but going up a few hills resulted in the guage hitting 100 but coming back down fairly quickly.
            From what i have been able to find average running temp should be around 85c and the a/t light activating at 125c. Hopefully when towing i can keep it under 120c, time will tell.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X