• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Omnius
    • Jul 2018
    • Gladstone, QLD

Outstanding Fuel economy?!? WTF

So I went for a drive to Hobart from Launceston. I thought I might as well see how economical the thirsty Paj is. I filled up with 95, drove to Hobart at 95km/h most of the way, then filled up again. I could only put 22 litres in. So I got 10.5/100. No head or tail wind, only a cross wind. I was unloaded and have no roof racks. It is a manual and there was some road works along the way. Is this normal? All the threads I have read about this have said between 12-15/100 is normal.
    1994 NJ 3.0, Manual, KO2s, Alloy BB
    2009 NT VR-X, Auto, Nudge bar, Ryco Catch Can, Redarc SBI.
  • KiwiNTPajero
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2014
    • Wellington,New Zealand

10.5l itres per 100km is significantly better than 12l per 100 ks and 50 percent better than 15 l per 100km.What is the problem?
    2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
    BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Omnius
      • Jul 2018
      • Gladstone, QLD

No problem I just didn't think that was a realistic expectation.

Comment

• aussieintas
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Sorell, Tasmania

The Midland Highway is pretty flat on the whole bud which does help along with sticking around 95kms.........if you did it at around 105 to 110kms you'd see a big difference.

Congrats I'd say
        2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
        99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Omnius
          • Jul 2018
          • Gladstone, QLD

Now I need to tow something heavy to see how bad the 3 litre goes then as I am towing 2 tonne to Qld.

Comment

• aussieintas
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2013
            • Sorell, Tasmania

You will defo see a difference bud!!
            2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
            88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
            92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
            92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
            99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
            95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
            08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Omnius
              • Jul 2018
              • Gladstone, QLD

Ha yeah I reckon. I am planning on doing 80km/h all the way. Sorry in advance to anyone who gets stuck behind me. I am hoping for 15/100 when towing.

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Omnius View Post
                Ha yeah I reckon. I am planning on doing 80km/h all the way. Sorry in advance to anyone who gets stuck behind me. I am hoping for 15/100 when towing.

80kph might be alright in Tassie but you,ll get abused doing that on the highways on the mainland. Good chance of getting booked too in Qld. Do at least 90kph (gps speed too...not your cars speedo.).

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• tomwithannl
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2010
                  • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                  80kph might be alright in Tassie but you,ll get abused doing that on the highways on the mainland. Good chance of getting booked too in Qld. Do at least 90kph (gps speed too...not your cars speedo.).

I can tell you right now it is NOT alright in Tassie.

Omnius, why the hell would you only want to do 80kph?

Tom
                  1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
                  1953 Morris Minor ute
                  1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
                  2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• arrow
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2007

10.5 litres per 100km is significantly better than 12l per 100 ks and 50 percent better than 15 l per 100km.
                    No, it's not. Fifty percent better than 15l/100 is 7.5l/100. It's 33% better in round figures. Still good, though.

Comment

• stumagoo
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2014
                      • Perth WA S.O.R

I have said many times its what I can get out of my 3.5 NL engine - however its the first I have ever seen it in a 3.0 - a good mate also was getting those numbers in his NL (both of us with 32's and 33's). This was sitting at 100kph though - 110kph pushes it to 12l-13/100kms
                      1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                      *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                      1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• alchemysa
                        • Aug 2010
                        • Belair S.A.

My NH 3 litre automatic was a gas guzzler around town but not too bad in the country. Cleaning out the glovebox recently I found records of a 2000km trip around the Eyre Peninsula that I did 15 years ago. Towing a loaded Jayco style camper with 2 adults and 2 kids I averaged 14.5 litres per 100ks. Thats not a whole lot worse than many other petrol vehicles, and that was usually sitting at full highway speeds.

I just sold the car recently. Got a whole $1600 for a vehicle that was still pretty good. The replacement is a near new Subaru Outback diesel.
                        TIME IS RUTHLESS.
                        A Subaru '16 Outback Diesel has finally replaced the NH Pajero. (Also had an NA once upon a time). Still got an 89 Sierra.

Comment

• Alex86
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Here and there

Nothing wrong with doing 80 - as long as there's no traffic behind you!! Speed up a bit if there is, give them the opportunity to pass when you can, then you can slow down again if you want.

As for fuel- expect about 20 litres per hundred. It will vary, but if it is a bit more then you won't be too surprised (compared to say expecting 15/100). If it is a bit less, then happy days!

As for why would you want to do 80 when towing? Simple- fuel saving; easier to stop/slow down if animals jump out (especially at night); slightly easier on all your components; if a tyre lets go or some other problem occurs it's probably easier to manage at a slower speed; maybe a bit of a towing novice and not the most comfortable at 100.

First time I towed my boat it was from Perth 1500km up to the Pilbara. I hadn't done much towing. A fair bit was in the dark too. I mostly did 80ish, but sped up when cars got behind me, let them pass as soon as I could... I had a trailer tyre blowout 80km from my destination- fortunately with phone coverage (as the spare the previous owner gave me was discovered at this point to not fit, and my jack failed). I have a suspicion that if I was trying to hammer it at 100k all the way up the tyre may have let go earlier, in a worse spot, and it may have been harder to control.
                          '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                          Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• aussieguy
                            • Oct 2015
                            • Brisbane

So 20l/100kms on a 75L tank is 375km per tank! I get 550-600kms per tank (not bone dry) and I have a heavy foot cause I love V6 POWER!
                            05/97 NK 3.5L DOHC - DEAD
                            02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• Omnius
                              • Jul 2018
                              • Gladstone, QLD

Well the uhaul trailer I am hiring has a speed limit of 80km/h. It clearly states on the trailer not to exceed this limit.

I know that people in tassie don't like it if you don't do the 110. I was driving back from Hobart to Launnie at night in the rain with my two kids in the car and I was doing 90km/h. As I got to the overtaking lane another Pajero passed me doing about 130km/h and threw something out the window at my paj. It broke my windscreen.
                              On my test drive the other day I had an idiot in a medium rigid truck tail gate me. Anywa I let him pass. 45 minutes later I get into Hobart and I am two cars behind him. So what is the point of it all?

Well the 12V 6g72 is not that powerful so I really don't have a choice when I come to a hill LOL.
                              I will be courteous to other drivers. I will even put an '80' sign on the back of the trailer so when people ask themselves 'What the hell is this idiot doing?' if they can read then the question is answered for them.

I can tow. I used to drive a V6 turbo Landcruiser for work and we towed lots of stuff many hundreds of kilometres.
                              Last edited by Omnius; 19-09-18, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X