• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

NW Manual trans Disable C/Diff lock

New poster here, so be gentle with me...

I would like to disconnect the Centre Diff lock, yet still engage Low Range so that I can maneuvre my caravan without excessive clutch slip etc. Has this been done before? I can find no reference to it.
  • KiwiNTPajero
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2014
    • Wellington,New Zealand

Originally posted by erad View Post
    New poster here, so be gentle with me...

I would like to disconnect the Centre Diff lock, yet still engage Low Range so that I can maneuvre my caravan without excessive clutch slip etc. Has this been done before? I can find no reference to it.
    there is a two wheel drive low range thread here somewhere
    2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
    BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2000
      • Tasmania

thats right it was looked at, but I dont know if it was achievable.

What I did in my previous NL was to earth the yellow solenoid (via a cabin switch) . This didnt unlock the CD but gave me low , without front wheel drive.Worked OK but after I did it , I didnt seem to use it , so havent done it to my current NL,
      NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
      NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Centre Diff Lock is mechanical and must be locked when in 4Llc, 2wd is possible by not actuating front free wheeling actuator by putting a switch in the electrical circuit of the vacuum system that controls the actuator.

A thread with some recent discussions about doing this on a Challenger;

cheers, old Jack.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

Thanks OldJack. I imagine that the way to go would be to disable the front diff engagement. Then the transfer case can lock up as much as it wants to. My main concern is "Will it bring up an alarm if the front diff does not engage?"

Comment

• cookie
            • Feb 2008
            • Perth

Pretty sure the front 4wd lights will be flashing because the transfer switch will be in 4wd but the free wheel switch won't be engaged. That's what happened in my challenger when I installed manual hubs and disconnected the free wheel hub vaccum sys. I just took the bulb out cause I knew I had 4wd when the hubs were locked.
            But other than the flashing lights I don't think it will affect anything. I might look at doing something similar as I often used low range 2wd in the challenger for reversing the boat and on the ramp to save the clutch.
            2014 NW GLX
            ----------------------------------------------
            Previously: 98 Challenger, 2 inch lift, koni shocks, ARB bullbar, Lightforce 240 Blitz, redarc dual battery sys, UHF, bushman fridge, Wrangler ATR's

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2000
              • Tasmania

Originally posted by cookie View Post
              Pretty sure the front 4wd lights will be flashing because the transfer switch will be in 4wd but the free wheel switch won't be engaged. That's what happened in my challenger when I installed manual hubs and disconnected the free wheel hub vaccum sys. I just took the bulb out cause I knew I had 4wd when the hubs were locked.
              But other than the flashing lights I don't think it will affect anything. I might look at doing something similar as I often used low range 2wd in the challenger for reversing the boat and on the ramp to save the clutch.

yes thats right, in the NL i put a nc relay across the circuit for the front lights , worked a trick.
              NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
              NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X