Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Getting a First Gen SWB, what to look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scrub
    • Dec 2013
    • CQ

Was going for a TD regardless of the Torque/Power as Diesel Engines normally last alot longer but knowing that the Power is good is a definite plus. Only Petrols around where I live so I'll have to travel. Any common faults with the TD's?

Comment

• awbeattie381
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Inner West, Sydney

Good on you for wanting something that is a bit different. Yep the ride in a gen 2 is better (so is the front articulation) but there are improvements for those on a gen 1.

I would be looking for the last of the SWB in the gen 1, so late 80s. Imports are easy to spot because they have a lot more chrome bling on them, with a lot more interior features than the aussie equivalent (leather, inside/outside temp guage, curtains on some, heated seats in some). They are usually always diesel too with fairly low kays.

As far as rust goes, if its been looked after you shouldnt really have a problem, but the early 80s models can rust a bit around the turret. There arent any secrets for finding rust in them, just do your usual checks.

Good luck with the search.
      Andrew
      1989 NG Superwagon V6
      2017 Subaru Forester Diesel
      1974 Viscount Valiant Caravan

Comment

• Scrub
        • Dec 2013
        • CQ

I live in a town of 20k odd, and every 2nd Car is a Cruiser or Patrol. Hilux's and Navara's follow closely. A nice SWB Paj would stand out nicely I think.
        Been checking out the late 80's SWB's. Pretty much every one is an Auto or a Petrol. It seems near impossible to find a Manual TD. May have to go for a Gen 2 7 Seater if I can't find a nice TD Manual. .
        Fair sure I understand what you meant about the Chrome bling now too, haha. It's fairly obvious now. Even the Standard Bumpers are full on Chrome haha.

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Given what you've posted, if I was in your position, I'd hang out for a 2.8 JTop.

Gen 2 SWB soft top, imported from Japan. Something like this, but with the later 2.8 motor.

Reasonable power, good torque, great power to weight off road, off-road capability that will surprise (if not embarrass) most Nisota drivers.

A little trickier to find where you are, but I think it would tick all your boxes - if you can find a good one, within your budget.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• pajeroman3lt
            • Nov 2012
            • taree

Originally posted by pajeroman3lt View Post
            Well mate, I am a gen1 owner and it is a reliable old turbo diesel, tough as nails, but I would be looking for a gen2, they just feel so much more modern, don,t get me wrong, my old girl is great but I wish it was a gen2. Darryl.
            Took my own advice and bought a nice gen2 on the weekend. Its a 3lt NJ. Paid less than the accessories are worth (cheering).

Comment

• Scrub
              • Dec 2013
              • CQ

I'll be going Gen 2 if I can't find a TD Manual Gen 1 SWB. Which so far has been impossible, haha.

Comment

• SWB 89
                • Feb 2012
                • Toowoomba

Find Miscellaneous Goods ads in Oxenford 4210, QLD. Buy and sell almost anything on Gumtree classifieds.

Try this one.

Comment

• awbeattie381
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • Inner West, Sydney

really informative ad that one! lol More on the speakers than the car iself.

Is it even a manual?

Good spot though!
                  Andrew
                  1989 NG Superwagon V6
                  2017 Subaru Forester Diesel
                  1974 Viscount Valiant Caravan

Comment

• Sarah.E
                    • Mar 2014
                    • Caboolture

My 89 NG LWB 2.6L petrol runs a bit rough. After we fixed the issues it had when we bought it due to a previous owner not being entirely sure of what he was doing. She's still a bit rough but idles now and goes like a beast out bush. My friend has an 88 Nissan Pathfinder with big ass rust holes in the door sills and surface rust on the roof. My Pajero doesn't have a spot of rust on her. They are definitely tough and take a beating off-road. Let us know what you find when you buy it!
                    '89 NG Pajero, 33" wheels, 2" body lift, steel winch bar.

Comment

• Blutak
                      • Oct 2013
                      • Bunbury WA

The 2.6 is relatively indestructible. Ive been trying to kill mine since I bought it and can't. If you go the td make sure the cooling system is spot on. They will run forever but if you get them hot they love cracking heads. The v6 is solid if it has a very good service history. Great fun, plenty of poke but the guy who owns your servo will learn to love you. My personal favorite is the 2.6. 34adm weber from an xf falcon and a good exhaust and you will embarrass nearly anythig out there. Parts for the 2.6 are ridiculously cheap too.
                      Blutak is a 1990 NG EXE, 2.6, blue faded paint, 412 000 km, extractors, bump and droop stop shave, 100/130w globes in stock lights (inc melted plugs...), saggy springs, shocking shocks, crap tires, loose nut behind the wheel.
                      Blutak, cos thats all that's holding her together. ..
                      Now she has 485'000km, same everything with a 2.5' pipe, straight thru muffler and cat delete. Also a set of leaf springs from a 96 triton that gave me a $100 2 inch lift.

Comment

• Sarah.E
                        • Mar 2014
                        • Caboolture

Originally posted by Blutak View Post
                        The 2.6 is relatively indestructible. Ive been trying to kill mine since I bought it and can't. If you go the td make sure the cooling system is spot on. They will run forever but if you get them hot they love cracking heads. The v6 is solid if it has a very good service history. Great fun, plenty of poke but the guy who owns your servo will learn to love you. My personal favorite is the 2.6. 34adm weber from an xf falcon and a good exhaust and you will embarrass nearly anythig out there. Parts for the 2.6 are ridiculously cheap too.
                        Talk about indestructible, we took mine out on the weekend. Soaked the carby and the distributor multiple times, got it bogged in a big hole that there was water all through the engine bay, had water coming out of the exhaust, battery was dying, and she still drove home. Mate's pathfinder had to be towed and it didn't even get bogged or anything hahaha. Definitely tough.
                        '89 NG Pajero, 33" wheels, 2" body lift, steel winch bar.

Comment

• bakerboy
                          "valued 3000+ member"
                          • May 2008
                          • Perth

Can confirm, I own shares in called with my V6 haha they are a solid 4by though
                          If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X