X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DAZZLA
    • Jan 2010

Swb 4g54 **power increase**

Hey all looking for some advice on what to do with my shorty, recently i was away in the high country for 5 days, and after playing with the big boys discovered that i was shagged just trying to keep up.
    Not to say the shorty could not climb up most of what i pointed it at, but was short of power when it needed it, it is a 4g54 2.6lt running std carb, extractors.

i am trying to avoid a v6 conversion and are thinking about a carby upgrade such as the webber conversion, but has any one got some preformance increase data, and what about a turbo?
    Are there any jap engine converrsions which bolt up with out adaptors ect.....
    any help will be great.
    thanks
  • luifly
    • Nov 2007
    • Ringwood East

Have you concidered EFi

Comment

• DAZZLA
      • Jan 2010

To be honest no i have'nt, hows yours going?
      do you believe that it is going to be significant increase?
      thanks for the msg

Comment

• Phat-customs
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by DAZZLA View Post
        do you believe that it is going to be significant increase?
        Shit Yeah, HEAPS more power, HEAPS more drivability too, both in the bush and round town, more torque, and the ability to Rev harder (although theres little point to reving past about 3500rpm)

I think this is the applicable thread

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Not Pajero, but 2.6.

I have a Sigma as a daily driver / toy car. I had twin DCOEs on it, and it went OK - great sound, excellent throttle response, heaps of midrange power, but it never liked to pull hard past 5000 rpm. And economy was a little woeful...

I converted to Magna EFI, and may have given away a little power, but not much. Throttle response isn't great, mid-range it pulls well, it's still a waste of time pulling past 5000 (it will spin to redline, but it's all over by 5000 rpm).

It now starts easily, runs smoother and quieter, and the daily drive is more economical (possibly because I'm not having fun with the throttle response).

I believe the issue is ignition timing - the engine could use more at the top end, but I can't advance the dizzy any further without pinging. I'm thinking about playing with an aftermarket ECU, to see if that unlocks the top end.

Seriously, if you want more power from your 2.6, if you're not going DCOEs, then go EFI. It's a bigger job than simply swapping carbies, but you can do a lot of prep work before you pull the car off the road (mount fuel pump, surge tank, O2 sensor, ECU, air cleaner, MAF sensor etc) so the car only needs to be out of action for a few days while you swap the manifolds and finalise the wiring.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• PJDM1980
            • Jan 2009
            • Geelong, Victoria

I've herd that you can take the balance shaft out and it gives more power?
            Any truth in it?
            '92 GQ Nissan Patrol Ti, Auto, pretty much stock apart from GME TX300. Just ticked over 350,000klm's. Start the mods soon!

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Da_rooster1980 View Post
              I've herd that you can take the balance shaft out and it gives more power?
              Any truth in it?
              Yes. Not sure how much power, and most report a minor increase in engine vibration - Fiat, Porsche & Saab didn't license the technology for fun.

I haven't taken mine out - yet. The next time I take the timing cover off I expect I will fit a kit.

I was advised to only do it if after adding the DCOEs, which help each cylinder receive equal air/fuel, which helps to ensure each cylinder "fires" the same. I was told not to do this with a single downdraught carby.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• luifly
                • Nov 2007
                • Ringwood East

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                It's a bigger job than simply swapping carbies, but you can do a lot of prep work before you pull the car off the road (mount fuel pump, surge tank, O2 sensor, ECU, air cleaner, MAF sensor etc) so the car only needs to be out of action for a few days while you swap the manifolds and finalise the wiring.
                That was my intention but that was about 4 months ago, but i don't have much time to fiddle around and sort the fiddly things out so it has taken me a while.

But from the results from my EFi swap the power is definitely a great increase especially with the torque

Comment

• dank54
                  • Jul 2009

What about a single 45 or 48 weber? Its half way between the efi conversion and double webers..
                  I had a single 48 on a datsun 1600 with a 2L and it was great. Ecomomy was not that much worse than standard and power was improved.
                  Power really start until I had the head shaved for more comp and fitted a camshaft with more lift and duration though.
                  NH GLS LWB V6 MANUAL

Comment

• Bernoulli
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Oregon, USA

The guys in the U.S. swear by installing a turbo - but they have a Starion plus a few others that came with the turbo 4G54 - don't know if they were available here. Here's the link:
                    89 3.0L 5Spd SWB Raider in NW USA

Comment

• epitrochoid
                      • Nov 2008
                      • albury, nsw

A TR-TS mitsubishi magna 2.6L EFI running 95RON premium unleaded had 102Kw at 4750rpm and 220nm at 4000rpm.

If you run the same efi set up as this vehicle this would be a noticeable increase over the standard engine which i believe is 79kw and 195 nm.

Or the other option is a turbocharger. The us spec starion which had a single poin injection set up and 7.0:1 compression (yes, it is that low!) in a 4g54 put out 140kw at 5000 rpm and 317nm at 2500rpm.

That torque figure is as much as the 3.5L SOHC engine in later model LWB pajeros so should be more than enough for a SWB paj and at the low RPM will be great for off roading.

REgards

Epitrochoid
                      owning mitsubishi's since 1994.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X